PDA

View Full Version : Springfield, MO - What to do Nov 14 & 15?

Clem Wixted
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I will be cooling my heels while my wife is at a woman's conference on Nov 14 & 15. We will have been on a presidential library excursion to MO and KS, and will be stopping in Springfield before we return to Jonesboro, AR (home).

What is there for an aspiring 68 year old turner to do Friday evening and much of Saturday? I know about Bass Pro Shop and Grizzley but is there any turning specific activity or places? How about any club meeting at that time.

Thanks for any helpful information.

Clem

Bill Bolen
10-31-2008, 1:31 PM
Take her out to breakfast of dinner at the Big Cedar lodge. A few miles out of town. Owned by the Bass [pro people. Nice experience....Bill...

john taliaferro
10-31-2008, 1:36 PM
i need help cleaning my shop. 14178605942 john t

robert hainstock
10-31-2008, 4:53 PM
around here, we celebrate the end of road improvement projects on the 14th, and go Deer hunting on the 15th. Can't help but think that ther is a relationship there. Luck! :)
Bob

John Nowack
10-31-2008, 10:41 PM
went to school and lived there a while---springfield MO is a diamond in the ruff as far as towns go---for it's size there are limitless activities----I don't know about anything related to turning though---(unless you count the turning of heads at all the colledge girls:rolleyes::))

Richard Madison
10-31-2008, 11:05 PM
You could always visit the campus of Drury College (oops, it's Drury University now), but I doubt they have any woodturning stuff there.

Paul Gallian
11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Nov. 14 is my birthday -- you could help me with my no celebration :( .

I live near Springfield....

I have a cousin that owns a Pharmacy in Jonesboro Ark. Lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo for many years -- visited Jonesboro many times..

email Dan at Dandemckinzie@msn.com about the next meeting in Springfield.

You are welcome to visit my farm either day..

Paul

Clem Wixted
11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi Paul.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. I have been dealing with a kidney stone until Saturday when I passed it.

Thanks for the invite to your farm and I could very well take you up on your offer. I have a small 10 acre place so you may be able to give me some advice.

What club meets in Springfield?

I'll be in touch.

Clem

Clem Wixted
11-03-2008, 1:30 PM
i need help cleaning my shop. 14178605942 john t

John,

That sounds like it could be something I should be doing at home :-)

Clem

John Weeks
11-03-2008, 2:30 PM
There's a Grizzly outlet in Springfield.

JW

Dean Thomas
11-03-2008, 5:11 PM
What is there for an aspiring 68 year old turner to do...much of Saturday?
Well, Clem, if you're up for a little early morning driving, I know a great demo that will only cost you $20 for about 7 hours of good stuff. Trent Bosch is going to be in Kansas City (3 hours or so north of Springfield up US-71). You will learn a LOT from Trent. Super teacher and super turner. See our CHAPTER NEWSLETTER (http://www.northlandwoodturners-kc.com/Newsletters/TurnNorth200811.pdf) for details on the when and where, and see TRENT'S SITE (http://www.trentbosch.com) for more info on the sorts of things that he'll be showing. Lunch is on your own, but there are several good and/or cheap places close by.

And of course, not just Clem. Everyone is welcome.

Clem Wixted
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Nov. 14 is my birthday -- you could help me with my no celebration :( .

I live near Springfield....

I have a cousin that owns a Pharmacy in Jonesboro Ark. Lived in Poplar Bluff, Mo for many years -- visited Jonesboro many times..

email Dan at Dandemckinzie@msn.com about the next meeting in Springfield.

You are welcome to visit my farm either day..

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the invitiation. I will send you an email this evening to get your phone number. I would like to visit you and talk a little turning and maybe you could show me how to weld a little better than I'm now doing. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so I'm dangerous with my stick and mig welder. I haven't even tried with my oxy-acetylene torch.

I also just recently picked up an MF-1250 30 HP tractor with FEL, in Poplar Bluff, that needs a little care. I'm going to visit a guy that has some implements for the tractor and then I could come out to your place. I would have to leave about 1 PM, or so,to meet my wife. She gets out of her conference about 3PM. If that works you can let me know tonight or tomorrow. I would probably get there in the mid to late morning. I assume that it would take about an hour to get back to Springfield.

I'll probably be scouring the countryside to see if there are any implements for sale along the way. The only implements I have are a rotary cutter, finish cutter and box blade. I also need a set of tires for the tractor size 5.50-16 and 12.4-24, if you know anyone that has some for sale. I'm looking for a 5 or 6 ft tiller, boom pole, quick hitch attachment, middle buster, subsoiler, etc.

Clem