PDA

View Full Version : Help getting my cheap chinese laser running please.

Aaron Reimer
10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Okay, so I bought a Chinese laser off of ebay for some hobby work... I've worked around the control panel being in chinese, and the documentation being brutal Engrish. The big problem I have right now is that I have no idea how to get power to it. The pump, fan, and laser are all designed to run off of 220v chinese power. The pump and fan are two prong, but the laser is three prong, all flat, with the top two angled in:
/ \
|

Can I run these if I just get adapters, or do I need to get some sort of step up converter to turn my 110v wall plugs into 220v?

Any help would be appreciated... I'm pretty frustrated with this POS, but I'm not spending $400 to return it.

Richard Rumancik
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
If you are running this in a residential or non-industrial location you probably have 120 and 240VAC available (non- 3 phase service).

Often 220VAC equipment will be okay on 240VAC but you need to check the power supply markings, the rating plate, and/or with the manufacturer. Many electronics power supplies will allow up to 250VAC input. But if you don't have 220 or 240 available at all then this is not a solution. (Domestic ranges, clothes dryers and electric hot water heaters run on 220).

Another possibility is that the laser can run on 120VAC if it has an "international" supply. The current requirement will approximately double. Many switching supplies will allow a wide range of inputs eg. 87VAC to 250VAC. Sometimes there is a switch; sometimes it will adjust automatically when it senses the input voltage. If you have this type of supply it should be evident from the label on the supply as it shows the input rating.

Normally you can't just use an adapter on the power cord, but if it did have a supply as described above then that would be possible. Does it not have a standard IEC320 inlet like on a computer? In such a case it would be easier to get a different cord.

A step up transformer would be possible but expensive. I would investigate other options first.

It would be best if you get some assistance from an electrician, technician or EE to take a look at your machine and make an evaluation as to which way to go. There are quite a few issues to look at.

Dave Johnson29
10-31-2008, 2:22 PM
with the top two angled in:
/ \
|
Can I run these if I just get adapters

HI Aaron,

That pin configuration is pretty standard for 240v 50Hz in a lot of places in the world. The vertical pin is ground or Earth and have a green or green with yellow stripe wire. When looking at the pins on the plug, the one to the right is the Active and should have a Brown wire to it. The one to the left is Neutral and usually has a white or yellow wire.

Given that, I would not trust an "adapter" I would check the connections and test them with a meter before plugging anything in.

I started to give a description, but because of the questions you have asked, I suspect your electrical knowledge is minimal.

You would be well advised to get a professional electrician to help you. This can be a very dangerous thing to mess with. You could kill the laser or much worse, yourself.

Aaron Reimer
10-31-2008, 9:25 PM
Here is a link to the ebay auction for the laser (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=270281598267)... the description may enlighten, I don't know. It says "Power supply: AC 110 - 220V ±10%, 50 - 60Hz" which, as you surmised, means very little to me.

One of my Chinese-Canadian friends attempted to translate the control panel instructions and one line says something to the effect of "Voltage must be 220V, use adapter if needed."

The power chord does indeed use the same plug end as a computer cable and I have a spare one lying around. Perhaps I'll give that a try.

Dave Johnson29
11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
The power chord does indeed use the same plug end as a computer cable and I have a spare one lying around. Perhaps I'll give that a try.

Hi Aaron, you got a hell of a deal at under 500-bucks. The Power Supply (PS) is almost certainly a switching type since it can cope with the wide input voltage range.

Given the range of the PS it looks like it will run on 115v. Can you look around where the power cord plugs into the back of the laser case and see if there is a small slider switch that may be marked 110v - 240v.

Making sure that slider switch is in the correct position may be all you need. I would still consider an electrician to measure things first before plugging in and letting the smoke escape. (Electronics term for smoke rising from frying on-board components) An oversight, may cost you as much for a new PS as you just paid for the entire thing.

Aaron Reimer
11-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Aaron, you got a hell of a deal at under 500-bucks. The Power Supply (PS) is almost certainly a switching type since it can cope with the wide input voltage range.

Given the range of the PS it looks like it will run on 115v. Can you look around where the power cord plugs into the back of the laser case and see if there is a small slider switch that may be marked 110v - 240v.

Making sure that slider switch is in the correct position may be all you need. I would still consider an electrician to measure things first before plugging in and letting the smoke escape. (Electronics term for smoke rising from frying on-board components) An oversight, may cost you as much for a new PS as you just paid for the entire thing.

Unfortunately the auction was in GBP and not USD, so it's pretty much twice the price shown. Also unfortunately, the power supply doesn't actually have a switch and everything in the laser says 220. I have a feeling that the laser he sent me isn't the one that he had listed, as the control panel doesn't match either :(.

pete hagan
11-01-2008, 1:38 PM
It looks like you have a typical plug found in Europe or even a nema US plug. Can't really tell from the ascii example. My laser is 220v as well but with a three prong plug used in a standard "edison" outlet here in the US. I have similar plugs for the air assist two prong parallel blades and my water cooler (you probably have an aquarium pump) has a european round pole plug.

Here is a wall plate from Europe that likely shows your plug style.
http://kropla.com/images/china_1.jpg

In the US (Canada and Mexico) we have two 120vt hot legs coming into a residence. So if you plug something in the wall you will get (1) hot leg of 110-120vt, (1) Neutral and (1) ground lug. Think of it as power comes into the device from the hot leg and returns to the electric panel via the neutral leg. The ground lug is a safety but is really tied to the neutral leg at the electrical panel.
http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/images/duplex_receptacle.jpg

At the electrical panel you will have two seperate "hot" legs coming from the service outside. Here is a sample image of a typical panel
http://www.tytewadd.com/instructions/c1diag.gif
As you see there are two (L1 and L2) legs that supply 120vt to panel and one neutral. If you meter (measure the voltage using a multi-meter) from L1 and Neutral you get 120vt Likewise if you meter between L2 and Neutral you get 120vt However if you meter between L1 and L2 you will get 240vt. This will range from 220 to 250vt depending on line conditions and wire distance from the transformer at the pole but should average about 230vt.

Lesson over but basicly you need two hot legs and a neutral/ground from a US residential service to power your unit from the wall. This would be through a two pole breaker (look in your electrical panel and you will likely see one or two there) You can use a step-up transformer from a typical 120vt wall outlet or you can use a range connection in your home that is typically 240vt.
http://www.crsupport.us/images/144-5.jpgOr similar looking receptical. Either way you need some knowledge or an electrician.

The air pump will not run if you plug it in the wall. Go ahead to prove it to yourself as you will not harm it. Likewise the laser wil not fire unless you have a switching power suppy inside the unit.

To get more help please post pictures of the unit, the rear electrical connection and if you have any manuals that would help as well.

Good luck!
Pete

Aaron Reimer
11-01-2008, 2:38 PM
Thank you so much for the awesome post!

Here are some pictures of the machine (http://www.lionspridepaintball.com/aaron/laser/bigpics.htm)

Here is the manual they sent me to replace the chinese manual that came with it (http://www.lionspridepaintball.com/aaron/laser/seal%20manuanl%20online.doc)

Dave Johnson29
11-01-2008, 2:51 PM
Here are some pictures of the machine (http://www.lionspridepaintball.com/aaron/laser/bigpics.htm)

Well it is certainly not a switching power supply so the correct input voltage is now **critical.**

Let me ponder further.

PLEASE NOTE there are LETHAL voltages on that printed circuit board. That large red lead coming from that white block (Flyback transformer) will be carrying upwards of 25,000 volts.

Are you in the US/Canada?

Aaron Reimer
11-01-2008, 2:53 PM
Well it is certainly not a switching power supply so the correct input voltage is now **critical.**

Let me ponder further.

PLEASE NOTE there are LETHAL voltages on that printed circuit board. That large red lead coming from that white block (Flyback transformer) will be carrying upwards of 25,000 volts.

Are you in the US/Canada?

Yes, I'm in Canada.

Doug Griffith
11-01-2008, 4:07 PM
Here is the manual they sent me to replace the chinese manual that came with it (http://www.lionspridepaintball.com/aaron/laser/seal%20manuanl%20online.doc)

After looking through the manual, I feel for you!!!

$1000 US for a laser is cheap though - it looks like you got what you paid for.

Good luck,
Doug

James Jaragosky
11-01-2008, 4:21 PM
I have the same laser and you are missing the power supply.
See attached photos.
I am not a expert but I believe that this little gem just converts 120vac to 240vac.
Hope this helps.

pete hagan
11-01-2008, 4:51 PM
It's just an transformer that doubles the voltage from 120 to 240vt.

The power supply board does not appear to be any sophisticated switching board so yes the voltage in should be the 220-240vt. As someone else stated the high voltage red wire coming out of the flyback transformer will be pretty high so keep the lid on it if you have any poser applied.

The best route for you short of the seller sending you the correct power supply is to look on ebay for a power supply / transformer that will convert 120vt to 240vt.

Or the simplist is to simply have a 240vt outlet run to where you want it, if you own where you live of course. I would make sure that you DO NOT use an edison style receptical otherwise someone will plug something into it they should not like your favorite stereo, vacuum or whatnot.

Good Luck.
Pete

Aaron Reimer
11-01-2008, 6:51 PM
I have the same laser and you are missing the power supply.
See attached photos.
I am not a expert but I believe that this little gem just converts 120vac to 240vac.
Hope this helps.

Thanks James, that's really helpful. I'll bug the seller about obtaining one of those. Would you mind if I PM you a bit more about this laser once I get it running?

James Jaragosky
11-01-2008, 6:55 PM
Thanks James, that's really helpful. I'll bug the seller about obtaining one of those. Would you mind if I PM you a bit more about this laser once I get it running?
The blind should always lead the blind.
"ok; you first!":)

Dave Johnson29
11-01-2008, 7:15 PM
Yes, I'm in Canada.

Well I assume you have the same 110v power as the US. If the laser really is 240v then you will have that at the dryer outlet in the laundry.

If I were doing this I would disconnect the output of the power supply.

Aaron, I just can't bring myself to do this. I just wrote a page of instructions and I am scaring myself s...less here and deleted it all. Suffice to say, get an electronics guy to do this. He will disconnect stuff and power it up safely. This is not your average piece of home electronics working at 12vdc and just blows fuses if it is wrong. I do not see ANY FUSES anywhere. There are some very serious voltages here.

Sorry, but I cannot help further it is just too risky for a novice to attempt.

Aaron Reimer
11-01-2008, 7:37 PM
Hey, don't worry about it... I won't touch wiring anyway (except maybe to change a light fixture). There is a fuse right about the power inlet. I think the best solution is the external step up transformer that was recommended. I just need to know what wattage I'll need on the transformer; I've found them between 50 and 3000 watts.

Dave Johnson29
11-01-2008, 7:53 PM
I just need to know what wattage I'll need on the transformer; I've found them between 50 and 3000 watts.

Hi again Aaron,

The ebay thing said Gross Wattage 280 so I would at least double that so it is not running at max and getting too hot. If the closest Wattage ratings you can get are 500 and 700 go for the 700. You should never run electronics beyond about 80% capacity as a max.

I would still be cautious and disconnect the output of the power supply and to make sure, but it might be OK.

Oh and another thing I thought of, if the manual has not already mentioned it. Never run the thing without water circulating. With no water running and after about 30seconds or so you will hear the quietest of "clicks" and no burning marks coming out of the other end. :rolleyes: A glass laser tube "breaking" is very uneventful. Don't ask how I know!! :D

Bill Cunningham
11-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I have not looked at the ebay site, but if this seller is 'in' Canada, and selling lasers or any electrical equipment, it, by law must be inspected and approved before the consumer receives it, and will have a sticker on it saying so.. If you imported the laser from another country, it's up to you to have it inspected, and approved for use, or your insurance company may have something to say (probably "your out of luck" if it causes a fire).. I don't know 'where ' you are in Canada, but if your in Ontario, Ontario Hydro, or OPA (Ontario Power Authority) are the inspecting authorities.. Or contact your local utility in your province for information on who can inspect this unit..

Aaron Reimer
11-02-2008, 7:34 AM
Hi again Aaron,

The ebay thing said Gross Wattage 280 so I would at least double that so it is not running at max and getting too hot. If the closest Wattage ratings you can get are 500 and 700 go for the 700. You should never run electronics beyond about 80% capacity as a max.

I would still be cautious and disconnect the output of the power supply and to make sure, but it might be OK.

Oh and another thing I thought of, if the manual has not already mentioned it. Never run the thing without water circulating. With no water running and after about 30seconds or so you will hear the quietest of "clicks" and no burning marks coming out of the other end. :rolleyes: A glass laser tube "breaking" is very uneventful. Don't ask how I know!! :D

The seller is claiming that all it will need is a simple travel converter liker this: http://www.lionspridepaintball.com/aaron/laser/QQ%20%20%20%20%20.jpg but in 300 or 500 watts.

Any chance he's right?

Tony Lenkic
11-02-2008, 1:35 PM
Aaron,

Seller is wrong on this. Travel converter kit will lower 240v for you to use 120v appliances overseas. In this case you need step-up transformer or simplly use 240v circuit in your home or shop to supply to engraver than requires 240v incoming supply.
Every home or business allready have 240v, what you need is connection like you would run for stove, dryer, baseboard heater or any appliance needing 240v.

Dave Johnson29
11-02-2008, 2:49 PM
The seller is claiming that all it will need is a simple travel converter liker this:

Hi Aaron,

If they say that then give this company a try...

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com

Aaron Reimer
11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Aaron,

Seller is wrong on this. Travel converter kit will lower 240v for you to use 120v appliances overseas. In this case you need step-up transformer or simplly use 240v circuit in your home or shop to supply to engraver than requires 240v incoming supply.
Every home or business allready have 240v, what you need is connection like you would run for stove, dryer, baseboard heater or any appliance needing 240v.

OK... the plate on the side of the laser says 450 watts, the fan is 40, and the pump 25. I've purchased this (http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC750W) 750w transformer, and this (http://www.voltageconverters.com/Itemdesc.asp?Cartid=%7BE16D8575-DEVEREST3BE-4F7C-9016-9C8A2AC9E84F%7D&ic=BB136&eq=&Tp=) power bar. That's a total of 515 watts, and 80% capacity for a 750w transformer should be 600w. Hopefully it will be okay. The site seems to have good prices, and shipping warehouses in Canada and the US so no duty.

Dave Johnson29
11-03-2008, 7:05 PM
plate on the side of the laser says 450 watts
I've purchased this (http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC750W) 750w transformer, and this (http://www.voltageconverters.com/Itemdesc.asp?Cartid=%7BE16D8575-DEVEREST3BE-4F7C-9016-9C8A2AC9E84F%7D&ic=BB136&eq=&Tp=) power bar.

Hi Aaron,

Sounds like you are underway. Please let us know how it all works out.

Tony Lenkic
11-03-2008, 7:21 PM
Aaron,

For the price differance I would have purchased next one up VC1000W.

Under normal condition the unit you've selected should work OK, but next one up will run cooler and will last longer even if voltages fluctuate.

Aaron Reimer
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Aaron,

For the price differance I would have purchased next one up VC1000W.

Under normal condition the unit you've selected should work OK, but next one up will run cooler and will last longer even if voltages fluctuate.

I guess hindsight's 20/20. I think you're right. It's already on the truck for delivery though, so too late to change. Really fast shipping.

Tony Lenkic
11-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Aaron,

From your profile I see you are in Orillia.
Did you buy that laser locally or direct from China?

Aaron Reimer
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Direct from China looking to save some money... kicking myself a bit for that now. It's going to be quite a challenge to figure out how to get everything working properly without good tech support.

Dave Johnson29
11-07-2008, 10:56 AM
It's going to be quite a challenge to figure out how to get everything working properly without good tech support.

Hi Aaron,

Speaking of which, how is it all working out with the up-converter? Inquiring mounds need to grow.

Aaron Reimer
11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Once I hooked up the box and plugged everything in to the power bar the fan started humming nicely, and the pump stopped stuttering and worked as it's supposed to. I have the mirrors halfway aligned now (it's really cramped to get at the alignment screws) but I'm confident I'll have them set alright today.

I have yet to figure out how to make my computer talk to it, though. I've installed the moshidraw software that comes with it, but I can't figure out how to maneuver the head. Also, no icons have popped up in Corel X3 as I was expecting, so once I know the laser is working, that's the next challenge.

Dave Johnson29
11-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Once I hooked up the box and plugged everything in to the power bar the fan started humming nicely

Hi Aaron,

OK, good to hear it is all under way. The collective wisdom of this great group should get you making smoke and sparks soon. :)

Aaron Reimer
11-07-2008, 5:26 PM
I'm burning stuff :D! I got everything aligned today and figured out how to make moshidraw send stuff to the laser. I did a nice design on some thick paper at about 5% power and what moshidraw terms as a speed of "5". I also did a burn on a sample piece of anodized aluminum I got.

I'm glad to have it working, but I still haven't figured out how to get it to print straight from CorelDraw. I exported as a PLT file, but I'm not happy with how it fills or how it outlines, as it seems to really pixelate quite a bit when moshi renders it :(. I guess that's the next step!