PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly price increase on Dec 31 '08?

Sean Rainaldi
10-31-2008, 11:12 AM
I read a four year old post on a different forum that Grizzly Tool traditionally increases their prices every year at 5 PM, on Dec 31. Can anyone confirm this?

Do they increase prices every year? Or do they skip a year sometimes? Anyone know if they plan on any increases by years end?

Jim O'Dell
10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
There have been posts lately that say there will be an increase this year. I suppose current fluctuations may increase or decrease any price increases. Time will tell. Jim.

Don Bullock
10-31-2008, 11:26 AM
According to a post I read on another forum by the president of Grizzly, Shiraz Balolia, the increased cost of shipping and the declining value of the dollar combined will cause price increases this year. As Jim said, "Time will tell."

Sean Rainaldi
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
According to a post I read on another forum by the president of Grizzly, Shiraz Balolia, the increased cost of shipping and the declining value of the dollar combined will cause price increases this year. As Jim said, "Time will tell."

Was the post you speak of made in 2008?

Shiraz Balolia
10-31-2008, 1:08 PM
Time will tell. Jim.

Prices WILL increase. Our costs already have gone up substantially and we have not passed them on to our customers this year. I strongly suggest that if you are wanting to buy a machine, buy it before Dec 31, 2008. This is not a sales gimmick.

I will not be specific about what and how much, but the biggest culprits for the cause have been the increases in cost of cast iron and other materials as well as the decrease in the value of our dollar against various currencies.

This is a courtesy posting.

Shawn Walker
10-31-2008, 1:29 PM
Prices WILL increase. Our costs already have gone up substantially and we have not passed them on to our customers this year. I strongly suggest that if you are wanting to buy a machine, buy it before Dec 31, 2008. This is not a sales gimmick.

I will not be specific about what and how much, but the biggest culprits for the cause have been the increases in cost of cast iron and other materials as well as the decrease in the value of our dollar against various currencies.

This is a courtesy posting.

On another topic... Is there going to be a replacment for planer G1021X2 ?
I see it has been discontinued.
I would like to see it with the cutterhead, with the less expensive. inserts.

Jacob Mac
10-31-2008, 1:31 PM

Sean,

Shiraz is the president of Grizzly. So you got the best possible answer you could hope for.

Sean Rainaldi
10-31-2008, 1:38 PM
Sean,

Shiraz is the president of Grizzly. So you got the best possible answer you could hope for.

I sure did thanks very much Shiraz.

Anthony Whitesell
10-31-2008, 2:03 PM
Well I'm impressed on two fronts. First, I'm impressed that the president of Grizzly is watching our little message board in the corner of the world. Secondly, I would like to thank Mr. Balolia for being so honest and forthcoming with this kind of information. I know other manufacturers that just blindside us (and the vendors) with the price increases.

Some of my money is already on it's way to their accounts receivable department as we speak. Due in no small part to good machines, good prices, MS cashback, and the warning of the price increases.

Don Bullock
10-31-2008, 3:06 PM

Yes Sean. See the post from Shiraz Balolia himself below mine for verification.;):D

Well I'm impressed on two fronts. First, I'm impressed that the president of Grizzly is watching our little message board in the corner of the world. Secondly, I would like to thank Mr. Balolia for being so honest and forthcoming with this kind of information. I know other manufacturers that just blindside us (and the vendors) with the price increases.

Mr. Balolia is actually a woodworker himself. Even though he is the president of a major company, he truly understands what we go through to supply our shops with tools and materials. He does frequent Sawmill Creek and other forums and offers support to Sawmill Creek as a contributer and he donates items to the "free stuff" drawings here.:D

Greg Cole
10-31-2008, 3:52 PM
Devils advocate for a minute.....
The USD is stronger now that it's been in a loooong time.
The Euro is below 1.30 and that hasn't been there for good while. Same against AUD, CHF, DKK, CAD.
Currency markets are very tumultuous now, but the dollars gained a lot & we all see this reflected at the gas pump.
Costs of materials and processing are certainly going up.
No digs at Grizzly here (I own a couple Griz's), just sayin'.

chris dub
10-31-2008, 4:53 PM
But in fairness to companies that have held the line on prices for the last year and absorbed all of the negative currency exposure and fuel and commodity price changes. While it may be favorable right now the last 12 months have to have been a pretty serious strain on cash flow. Which makes it challenging to invest in new technology, R&D and expansion?

Now walking into a new year in the teeth of a recession also makes taking price increases a little challenging.

Cary Falk
10-31-2008, 5:05 PM
Some of the prices in the 2007 catalog were higher than the 2008 catalog.