PDA

View Full Version : effective wearable dust mask?

Rick Moyer
10-31-2008, 9:27 AM
I need to get a better dust mask, One that I willl wear and also works well. Currently have been using the white ones with the four elastic straps, with small round exhale port in the front (you know the ones).

requirements:
Fits comfortably
Won't fog glasses!
Blocks most dust

I have a respirator that I wear when spraying but don't wear it otherwise as it is too heavy,warm,etc..., so i'd like something more "wearable". The cheaper masks work for a while but let in side air(dust), and also fog my glasses after a short time. Don't have a beard but do have mustache/goatee. (Also have a big crooked nose, so fit may be a issue:p)

I am thinking about the "pig-snout" ones I've seen but can't find one locally to try. What do all of you have that fits my requirements and that you are pleased with?

Sean Kinn
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure which respirator you have, but I use a 3m 7500 with p100 filters for dust protection. Although the 7500 core is more like a traditional respirator, the p100 filters are very light and don't cause you to feel like you have 5lbs strapped on your face. I also wear glasses with the 7500 and they fit just fine. However, my glasses are rather small and rimless.

This might be more towards a respirator than you are looking for, but I never was satisfied with any of the paper nuisance dust masks. I can wear the 7500 for long periods of time and it doesn't bother me at all. A lot of the paper masks are truly only effectivefor short term use against larger particles anyway, so if you fell you need protection you may as well protect against the most harmful smaller particles.

Kent Parker
10-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Rick,

I used the 3m gauze type masks with the exhailer bottom on front for a long time. They are great for small sanding work, are light and pretty comfortable but don't do well when the machinery or sanders are on. I bought a 3m dual cartridge like the light gray one with the dark nose piece in this photo. Its fairly light weight and the rubber is a silicon like material that makes it really pliable and comfortable. The material doesn't grab you like other rubbers. If you've ever seen or felt a silicon spatula use in the kitchen, the material is similar. I think its a 7500 Series Half-Mask Respirator.

Cheers,

Kent

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Turners use several...the 3M already mentioned....the Trend Air Shield and the Triton are the three most popular.

I have one of the original Trend Air Shields. It works well and even in the summer heat it keeps my expanding forehead dry and keeps my glasses unfogged. While I find mine comfortable to wear, the new model Trend has some real advantages.

Don Bullock
10-31-2008, 11:19 AM
The December 2008 edition of Fine WoodWorking has an article about dust masks that you may find helpful.

Danny Thompson
10-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I like, and wear, my pig-snout. I get much better air movement than with a white paper mask.

Loren Hedahl
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
If the "pig snout" is the one with the single round felt filter in the front, that's what I use.

My biggest complaint is the elastic stretches over time and must be readjusted and the black rubber of the one I have smells a little like . . . . well, rubber.

Pat Germain
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I also use a 3M mask. I had to order one with an exhaust spout that pointed down. All the masks I found in the local retail stores just had the round button in the front, which is notorious for fogging safety glasses.

I'm very happy with my dust mask. I once forgot I had it on and went to get the mail when I saw the truck pull up across the street. I got to the end of the driveway when I realized I still had all my safety gear on. I'm sure my local mail carrier has seen stranger things. :)

jason lambert
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I have several my favorite is a ao safety but with the small filters for dust. Not the bigger ones like the 3m that are made for chemical you don't need a chemical filter for wood and they ware out in about 2 weeks anyhow. Just basic dust <1 micron. Nex is the pig snot but feels much bigger and stick out in frount more, the filters are much cheaper though. Thoes are really the two I use and like I also have several 3m theyare fine just bigger.

glenn bradley
10-31-2008, 7:21 PM
I run this one (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-95190-Woodworkers-Respirator/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1225495255&sr=8-2)and wear Rx safty glasses and earmuffs. Very comfy, vents to the side well below my face and doesn't restrict the side vision or weigh as much as the double cartridge masks for me.

Gene Michael
10-31-2008, 11:49 PM
An SMCer recommended the 3M mask with the 6001 organic vapor cartridge. Got it and am very happy. Used to have the type Glenn recommended, but it didn't seal well and passed through a lot of dust.

Randy Looney
11-01-2008, 2:35 AM
This is what I have been wearing and find it to work great for general shop work and sawing. I worked in a saw mill as a sawyer for 5 months and also where we made flooring. If I did not wear the mask the cedar and black walnut tore me up. I found it to be a great mask and I could hand wash it. http://www.dustbeegone.com/dustmask.html

If I am doing alot of sanding I wear the 3M mask with the Pink asbestos filters.

Dewey Torres
11-01-2008, 3:02 AM
I run this one (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-95190-Woodworkers-Respirator/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1225495255&sr=8-2)and wear Rx safty glasses and earmuffs. Very comfy, vents to the side well below my face and doesn't restrict the side vision or weigh as much as the double cartridge masks for me.

Just ordered one... thanks for the info!

Jim Butterfield
11-01-2008, 8:53 AM
I use the AO Safety Pleats Plus. They're cheap, they wash, they don't fog my glasses, and they fit tighter to my (bearded) face.

Rick Moyer
11-01-2008, 9:09 AM
Just ordered one... thanks for the info!

Me too! Thanks for the insight Glenn, that's the "pig-snout" one I was referring to. Hopefully I'll like it.

Dave Lehnert
11-01-2008, 4:02 PM
I know you have ordered one but for any other woodworker that is looking for one local. Sears and Sears hardware stocks this item as well as the replacement filters. Priced close to Amazon and the like.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413AXKH7DFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Rick Moyer
11-01-2008, 8:19 PM
I sometimes forget about Sears for woodworking stuff. I could have gone in there as it's close to Lowes, and Lowe's didn't have what I wanted. Oh well, should have it in a few days.