PDA

View Full Version : First piece off new Steel City mini

Jeff Nicol
10-31-2008, 6:24 AM
I finally got a stand made for my new Steel City mini lathe and put it to use. My daughter wanted to take it home with her last night but I had to get a picture on the forum. It is a small HF made from Aspen/Popple, aspen out west and here is WI it has allways been popple to me! It is 4.5" tall and 3.25 wide at the widest, finished with lacquer and buffed out. Took a washer and ground points on it and made a texturing tool for the rim. Here it is!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
10-31-2008, 8:44 AM
Good looking vase Jeff! Great form! Really like the textured collar and the way it's reverse curve makes it look like it is laying on the vase! Nice work!

Haven't heard much about Steel City lathes. How do you like yours?

Bernie Weishapl
10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Great looking vase for a first off the Steel City. How do you like it?

Jeff Nicol
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Good morning again, I hollowed the little vase out yesterday morning after getting the shape to where I wanted. I was not getting the speed out of it that I wanted and I looked and the set screw had backed out a bit on the speeed control knob. Tightened it up and I was off to the races! The steel city is quite the change from the big yellow 3520B so I had to get used to the feel and sound of the 1/2 horse motor. But with sharp tools and good technique it performed as I hoped it would. It is very quite and smooth running. You can hear the motor change in pitch when I tried to cut a little to deep but the RPM's stayed good. I will put it through some more work this next week as I have a demonstration on the 9th of Nov. at my cousins gallery in Hammond, WI. So for the price I am happy with the Steel City Mini ($249 at Woodcraft).

Thanks,

Jeff

Richard Madison
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
That's very nice Jeff. I like it.

Steve Campbell
10-31-2008, 4:07 PM
Jeff;
Is your demo on the 9th open to the public and if so where abouts in Hammond is it.
Thanks
Steve

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2008, 7:19 PM
Steve, It is open to the public and the Hammond arts alliance has things going on all weekend, Fri-Sun. I will be doing the demo from 10a.m. to 2p.m. This is my first demo and it should be fun! My cousin put out a note to all the people on her mailing list that I would try and turn a small piece from wood that they would bring in. I hope it is not to crazy!

Hammond is north off I-94 heading towards the twin cities, take the hammond exit and it is about a mile to town and the STONE SOUP GALLERY is on the left hand side of the main street about 1/2 block past the BP gas station. I hope this helps I will try and post a link to a map.

Jeff

Jim Becker
11-02-2008, 7:40 PM
Very nice piece...the detailing on the rolled rim is great!

Steve Campbell
11-02-2008, 8:14 PM
Jeff; Thanks for the reply. I will see you next Sunday unless something major comes up. I live a ways up north from there but it is only about an hour away. I work construction and have done quite a bit of work in that area. Hope to see you Sunday.

Oh by the way I love your hollow form............

Thanks again
Steve

Jeff Nicol
11-02-2008, 8:25 PM
Hope to see you there also Steve! I am going to get a storage box made for the Steel City mini tomorrow and a tool rack for it also. I am digging through all the turning stock that is pretty dry as I won't have the time to wait around to finish them! I hope to turn a lot of miniatures and some small bowls and vases etc. Should be fun!

Don't work to hard this week!

Jeff

Eugene Wigley
11-02-2008, 8:29 PM
Jeff, that is great. I like the texture on the collar. It makes the turning really stand out. I am new and still trying to figure out how to turn a basic bowl. I hope that one of these days or probably years I will be able to turn wood like you and many others on this forum. Thanks for posting the pic.