PDA

View Full Version : Using one leg of 3 phase power?

Steve Rozmiarek
10-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Ok, I know the answer to the question, just using it to attract you electrical gurus.

I've read countless answers to simple electrical questions that progress like this; the first poster responds with a correct and simple enough answer, followed by the second adding a bit of semi relevant info, the third adds more and so on, progressing usually to the point of Ohm's law being invoked. Some of the time, someone's expertise is even called to question, usually when the proper and current local building codes applicable to all possible permutations of the original question and all other following questions haven't been correctly cited.

I don't notice this one upsmanship on other questions, am I imagining it? What do you think?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Steve,

I wasn't trying to one-up anyone. I was just answering the question as I understand it and justifying my reasoning.

Bruce Wrenn
10-30-2008, 10:46 PM
It's always been my policy to respect the right of others to be wrong. There is one poster who can get arrogant at times, but IMHO, he's right more than he's wrong.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Steve,

I wasn't trying to one-up anyone. I was just answering the question as I understand it and justifying my reasoning.

No, sorry Ken, no reference to any specific poster or thread was intended, just in general. I read the latest thread, but it is not the one that prompted this subject. It is a cumulative thing I think.

By all means, this is just my opinion though, and I hope everyone shares theirs as well. My point of posting this is to start a conversation, if others think it is nessecary.

Jeff Duncan
10-31-2008, 9:55 AM
I'm not one of the electrical guru's by a longshot, but yup, the electrical threads definitely go that way. Not just on this forum but on all the ones I participate in. Usually by the third or fourth post I'm completely lost. I do think for the most part guys are trying to be helpful, but when your just looking to hook up a bandsaw or whatever, you really don't need an in depth theory of electricity to confuse the heck out of you.
If you ask what 10" blade to use when ripping you'll usually get several opinions on good blades, not an in depth discussion of metallurgy.
For some reason once you bring electrical into the equation things often get much more complicated then necessary, at least that's been my experience.

JeffD

Don Bullock
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Even my electrician who has been doing electrical work in my area for over thirty years doesn't know all the answers. The local electrical code is constantly changing. My electrician said that the county doesn't publicize code changes and often he finds out about changes during inspection. He was telling me the other day that he wired a whole house based on the code only to find out the code for wiring bedrooms had been updated. The inspector made him rewire the whole house before he would pass it for final inspection. Yep, the code changed between rough electrical inspection and the final. The home had been completely dry walled and painted. No matter what advice one gets here current local codes need to be checked and rechecked.

Tom Veatch
10-31-2008, 1:25 PM
...For some reason once you bring electrical into the equation things often get much more complicated then necessary, at least that's been my experience.

Just my 2¢.

Sitting at the computer, it's impossible to see all the situational conditions that might affect the answer to the particular question. If the questioner were experienced with electrical installations, the question probably wouldn't have been asked. Hence, the assumption must be that the questioner is inexperienced. In that case, it's highly probable that all the pertinent information may not have been recognized by the questioner or stated with the original question.

The consequences of fouling up an electrical installation can be much more catastrophic than using a less than the "best" saw blade. So followup questions to clarify non-stated or ambiguous circumstances are clearly in order. It's either that or limiting a response to "Call you local licensed electrician" which in many cases is the proper response, but there are also many electrical tasks that can be safely accomplished by the "amateur".

Frequently, when I respond to an electrical question, I'll state the assumptions I'm making, my advice as to the proper course, and the technical reasons that support following that course. Perhaps it's misplaced, but I trust the reader to read the assumptions, compare that to their particular situation and ignore the advice if the assumptions do not match the situation. The technical points presented are to, hopefully, assist the questioner in understanding the "why" of doing it that way.

I don't think I've ever tried to "one-up" any other responder, certainly not intentionally. I'll generally refrain from participating if I have nothing but a "me too" to add. But, I believe it's much better to give an in depth response, especially in those cases where ambiguity or confusion shows in the question or ensuing discussion. In those case, the consequences of a short "hook the x wire to the y terminal" could be much more serious than using a rip blade for crosscutting.

Rollie Meyers
10-31-2008, 9:21 PM
Even my electrician who has been doing electrical work in my area for over thirty years doesn't know all the answers. The local electrical code is constantly changing. My electrician said that the county doesn't publicize code changes and often he finds out about changes during inspection. He was telling me the other day that he wired a whole house based on the code only to find out the code for wiring bedrooms had been updated. The inspector made him rewire the whole house before he would pass it for final inspection. Yep, the code changed between rough electrical inspection and the final. The home had been completely dry walled and painted. No matter what advice one gets here current local codes need to be checked and rechecked.

The electrician deserved to have to do major rework, as he had no one but himself to blame it is HIS duty to keep up w/ codes as they always changing,I would almost bet does not even own a code book....:(

The CEC, California Electrical Code is the NEC and CA is on the 2005.

Don Bullock
11-01-2008, 8:33 AM
The electrician deserved to have to do major rework, as he had no one but himself to blame it is HIS duty to keep up w/ codes as they always changing,I would almost bet does not even own a code book....:(

The CEC, California Electrical Code is the NEC and CA is on the 2005.

It was a local change, not a "state" change. Our county changes "the code" constantly. The newest changes are never covered in a "book."

Matt Newton
11-02-2008, 11:28 AM
I think one of the reasons these posts get so in depth is the nature of the group of participants at this site. I remember reading the thread about day jobs and was astounded by the number of engineers who are woodworkers. I think that most are very meticulous and detail oriented. The posts on saw blades are very opinion oriented (ie: I like this brand), while the electrical ones are very detail oriented.
I just want to end this by saying that I love this site and all the vast amount of knowledge contained here. Whenever I have a question I always turn here first. Keep the answers comming.

David G Baker
11-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with Matt Newton 100%

Don Bullock
11-02-2008, 7:55 PM
I think one of the reasons these posts get so in depth is the nature of the group of participants at this site. ...

Either that or we all stay ay Holiday Inn Express.;):D:rolleyes: