PDA

View Full Version : I'm going crazy here (scratched my eye)...

Eric Larsen
10-30-2008, 9:33 PM
I'll tell ya, I'm about five inches from looney today.

I woke up this morning with what seemed to be the rock of gibraltar under my eyelid. I spent all morning trying to flush whatever it is out. Finally I gave up and tried to deal with the irritation that happens EVERY TIME I MOVE MY RIGHT EYE. ARRRRRRRGHHHHH!

When LOML came home, we called an opthamologist who agreed to see me (even though it was past office hours). I guess the nurse sensed the anguish in my voice.

Turns out that something managed to get in my eye during the night, scratched the heck out of my cornea, and then exited. Now I've got scar tissue irritating my eye. He gave me a load of drops and TWO follow up appointments.

We just had the ceilings retextured (home warranty issue), so it was probably a bit of texture that made it into my eye while I slept.

I may just start wearing safety glasses to bed at this rate!

PS --- ARRRRRRRGH!!!!

Ted Shrader
10-30-2008, 9:46 PM
Eric -

Sorry to hear about your eye. The good news is, they heal very fast.

Had a similar thing happen to me. When I finally went to the doctor, he gave me drops, an opthalmic antibiotic salve and some (the best part) Vicodin. Made me relax enough to get some sleep. Eye was waaaay better in the morning.

Good luck,
Ted

Jim O'Dell
10-30-2008, 9:47 PM
OUCH!! Sorry to hear that. I got some saw dust in my eye last Spring, I think it was. I tried the flushing bit too. Pulled the eyelid up and looked and scraped. I finally went to bed with a wet wash cloth on my eye. In the morning I had a big glob of goo on my eye, but the saw dust that was in it was gone. It was still sore and red for a few days.
Use the drops. They will help the damaged tissue heal. Jim.

Doug Shepard
10-30-2008, 9:58 PM
Yowee that hurts. I had my cornea scratched once by the flailing arm of a 3 year old once and her fingernail caught me so I know how bad that hurts. Hang in there. The drops will help but it's going to take 3-4 days before it stops hurting.

Ross Ellis
10-30-2008, 9:59 PM
Man I feel for ya. I did the same thing, when I leaned in to turn the bath on and poked myself in the eye with a shampoo bottle top. I still have no idea how I accomplished that brilliant move. You'd figure eye, shampoo bottle, how did I NOT see it.....Twice this year, I have had blocked tear ducts feels about the same. Luckily, all only lasted a few days...

John Keeton
10-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Eric, I can empathize with you! About a month ago, about midnite, I woke up feeling like someone had stabbed me in the eye.

Earlier in the afternoon, I had been playing with some flintknapping (attempting to make arrowheads.) Must have had a small flint chip in my eyebrow or eyelashes, and many hours later it dropped in my eye. As it turns out, it had embedded in the underside of my eyelid, and was slicing my eye everytime I moved it or blinked. It was searing pain and there was nothing I could do to avoid it.

Unfortunately, the chip was transparent and minute. After spending 3 hours at the emergency room, the doc finally was able to get it to reflect light and extracted it. NEVER had such pain. I spent the whole next day with an eye patch and antibiotic drops for the next couple of days. The doc said my cornea looked horrible.

Put up the flintknapping toys and will never do that again!

Gary Herrmann
10-30-2008, 11:38 PM
It'll heal fast. Use the salve the doc gives you, flush it per directions. I've had my cornea scratched way too many times playing hoops. I swear, one time I thought the guy mashed my eyeball against the back of my skull.

Jim Becker
10-31-2008, 7:50 AM
OUCH! I hope you heal quickly, Eric. And I bet that you did indeed get a piece of stray "texture" involved in "re-texturing" your eyeball. Oy!

Chris Padilla
10-31-2008, 9:52 AM
Wow! You guys have some yucky stories there! I thought I had it bad when an eyelash would fall into my eye when I used to wear contacts!!!

ROFL on the safety glasses to bed, Eric!! That just made my Halloween! Now if it would just dry out before the kiddies go out tonight...it rained on my whole bike ride into work this morning.

Eric Larsen
11-01-2008, 1:52 AM
I'm amazed how quick this heals.

Yesterday, I was this close to pulling my hair out, going insane, etc: " . "

Today, the vision is still blurry, but I'm no longer in agonizing pain. Thing is, I wear my safety glasses religiously. Shows how flippin' important the glasses are.

EDIT --- PS - I was working in the yard today. Nothing really all that strenuous. A gnat flew into my eye. Guess which eye? Really. I finally got the gnat out with an eye cup filled with distilled water. I went outside to finish my project. Guess what happened. I triple-dog-dare ya. Can you guess that it involved a gnat and my right eye?

Shawn Walker
11-01-2008, 1:20 PM
I've had that happen to many times to remember. It sucks!
But you haven't lived till you have tried to get through a night with flash burns from welding. :eek: ... Both eyes... Double the fun. :D