PDA

View Full Version : Installed my S Dust Gorilla Solo

Bob Slater
10-30-2008, 7:45 PM
Man that was hard lifting that stuff on the mount. I raised it up to 99 inches to complicate things. I can't believe how huge it is as well. I measured many times with the info from the web site, but once in place the massiveness makes my shop look like a whole quarter is devoted to this Yellow Beast. I am wondering if a simpler (I'll say cheaper too) option would have served me as well? Too late for that. I can't imagine out growing it (2 HP model). Duct work is next.

Jim Becker
10-30-2008, 8:58 PM
Are you a "gorilla", too, Bob? :eek: Sheesh! That's one heavy monster to hang by yourself! There was no way I could have done that with my 2hp Commercial. Even with Fred Voorhees helping me, it was a tough job lifting that impeller/motor section up on top of the brackets!

That said, you're gonna love that yellow machine! :)

Bob Slater
10-31-2008, 12:28 AM
No, I am a stubborn, sometimes fanatical, too often foolish 178 pounder well into middle age. I just didn't want to call the brother in law over to get the job done and hear him questioning such a device's usefulness. Now that it is up in place they can gawk at the maginificence of the beast. I plan on putting a small US flag on her, as I believe this is only one of two DC choices I have that are made on this continent. I might lose the yellow and switch to an off white if it would make it appear smaller.

Wayne Ashing
10-31-2008, 12:33 AM
I hung my 2hp Griz Cyclone on a wall mount by myself. I partially assembled it, used a shop crane to lift it on a hydraulic lift cart with a 55 gal drum and 4x4 wood blocks. Lifted straight up and on the bolts first try! used the same lift table to finish assembly of the cone while unit was hanging on the wall. I bought the lift table/cart at Harbour Freight on sale with a 25% off coupon on a whim and it has paid for itself many times over in the last year, one of the HF "Gems" that should be added to the list if it hasn't already been done!

Mike Malott
10-31-2008, 6:44 AM
Wayne, I did the same thing when I assembled my Dust Gorilla!

I agree with your assessment of the HF hydraulic lift cart!

Watch for the $199 sale price and use a 15%~20% off coupon!

Mike

Bob Slater
10-31-2008, 7:27 AM
I would like one of those lift carts. In my case,I couldn't actually lift the thing in place that high in one shot. I put two eyehooks in the ceiling, then used some tie down straps to lift the barrel and impeller a few inches at a time , then once that was lined up and semi bolted in place, I climbed a ladder with the motor and plate in my arms and plunked it in place. (That was tense).

Jim Becker
10-31-2008, 8:05 AM
I might lose the yellow and switch to an off white if it would make it appear smaller.

Mine is "off-white" and it doesn't look any smaller! LOL But you can hide it in a closet...out of sight...out of mind! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Bob....Congrats on the DC! I have the 2 1/2hp model with a 3 hp motor. They were out of 2 1/2 motors when mine was built and shipped.

I want to build a closet around mine to cut the noise.

Bill Arnold
10-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Bob, I admire your effort. No way I could have mounted my 3hp SDG alone! Two neighbors came over to help lift it onto the wall mount. The thing might be massive, but it does a great job.

Just a note about duct work. I've done mine in three stages -- partly because of expense and partly to be sure of what I needed at each point. As it turned out, I modified my original plan a bit based on real world situations.

Bob Slater
10-31-2008, 4:31 PM
Bob....Congrats on the DC! I have the 2 1/2hp model with a 3 hp motor. They were out of 2 1/2 motors when mine was built and shipped.

I want to build a closet around mine to cut the noise.

The Oneida people were telling me that the ductwork transmits a lot of the noise. I was also thinking of seeing if the sound deadener they use in Car stereo installations might reduce the noise. I have quite a bit of this stuff on hand (Peel and stick rubber membrane with foil backing) . Anyway, i haven't heard it yet, so maybe I will find it quiet.

Bob Slater
10-31-2008, 4:34 PM
Bob, I admire your effort. No way I could have mounted my 3hp SDG alone! Two neighbors came over to help lift it onto the wall mount. The thing might be massive, but it does a great job.

Just a note about duct work. I've done mine in three stages -- partly because of expense and partly to be sure of what I needed at each point. As it turned out, I modified my original plan a bit based on real world situations.

I am roughing in the duct work to a table saw/router SCMS island, then the corners of the shop for other uses. I was a little shocked how much the duct work adds to the price. I think I might as well do a floor sweep now that I am in this deep.

Jim Becker
10-31-2008, 6:41 PM
Bob...the floor sweep is one of the best features and since you can only use one safely with a cyclone or other pre-separator, you absolutely should put one in. (I have three... ;) ) BTW, you can make your own floor sweep hood out of an HVAC boot. No need to buy and expensive one!

Bill Arnold
11-01-2008, 9:49 AM
I am roughing in the duct work to a table saw/router SCMS island, then the corners of the shop for other uses. I was a little shocked how much the duct work adds to the price. I think I might as well do a floor sweep now that I am in this deep.
I know what you mean about the cost of the duct. By the time I place my final order with Oneida next week, I will have spent about 50% more than the SDG cost. I bought all of the 7" and 6" pipe, wyes and adjustable 90's from Oneida because they supply 26ga material. I got the 5" pipe, 4" pipe and fittings from a local supplier -- 30ga seems just fine for the smaller diameters and is a lot less costly.

I bought a couple of plastic floor sweeps a while back and will install them soon. Since they are plastic, I used some plywood off-cuts to build a protective cover for each of them. The plywood covers would make good floor sweeps by just adding a starter flange. Hindsight is great, huh?

Clay Crocker
11-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Man, that is pretty amazing that you got that assembled all by yourself. I built some temporary legs out of 2X4's attached to the cone flange ring, then assembled the entire unit on the shop floor. Then I was able to stand the whole assembly upright on my lift cart with the help of one other person. Once it was on the lift cart I was able to roll it into position on the wall mount. I did not see any way to assemble mine on the wall mount because of the weight of the motor/impeller assembly and due to the fact that I wanted to mount it as close the the ceiling as practical. HF lift cart is the bomb.:D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/Crocker85/DCDucting001.jpg

Darryl deHaan
11-02-2008, 3:54 PM
Clay, do you find the rubber washers between the cyclone and the brackets provide a measurable improvement in sound and vibration? Just curious as I am about to install mine directly beneath my bedroom.

D

Steve Rozmiarek
11-02-2008, 7:52 PM
Man that was hard lifting that stuff on the mount. I raised it up to 99 inches to complicate things. I can't believe how huge it is as well. I measured many times with the info from the web site, but once in place the massiveness makes my shop look like a whole quarter is devoted to this Yellow Beast. I am wondering if a simpler (I'll say cheaper too) option would have served me as well? Too late for that. I can't imagine out growing it (2 HP model). Duct work is next.

Bob, you'll love the machine in operation. Congrats to BTW. I was stubborn/stupid/impatient enough to stack my 3hp SDG up by myself. The first time sucked really bad, the second to align it right was worse. I learned something from the experience, no wait, probably not:o.

Clay Crocker
11-02-2008, 8:04 PM
Darryl,

I installed vibration dampeners between the wall mount and the wall as well as the ones you see between the wall mount and the cone flange. I don't know how much difference they make since I have had them in since day one. With that said, I can barley hear the DC inside the house when it is running.

Our guest bedroom shares the wall with the garage and with the DC running you can hear it but it is by no means loud. There is a slight amount of vibration in the wall that increases the closer you get to the ceiling. Most of the noise and vibration appears to be transmitting through the ducting. I went out in the shop and put my hand on the wall adjacent to the DC with it running and there in no discernible vibration. When I place my hand on the wall adjacent to one of the 6" drops I can feel some vibration.

Clay