PDA

View Full Version : Jump on this jointer?

Kent E. Matthew
10-30-2008, 2:39 PM
I have been agonizing over a jointer purchase. A Powermatic for 450, and a DJ-15 for 400. Now this one popped up. How many of you would give this machine a serious look.

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/874562172.html

Bruce Page
10-30-2008, 2:44 PM
A great jointer at a great price. I paid a lot more for my PM model 54. I'd trade it in a heart beat for that 50.

Your call

Gary Benson
10-30-2008, 2:57 PM
As long as it checks out for flatness, etc, probably couldn't get a better 6 inch machine. I say, take a look.
Gary

Alex Shanku
10-30-2008, 3:12 PM
I have that jointer. Great machine. Paid about the same for it.

Is that pipe mounted as some sort of safety feature?

Matt Meiser
10-30-2008, 4:13 PM
Looks to me like the pipe is for carrying it? Check for 3-phase. It use a 3/4HP motor which isn't difficult to find but you want to consider that in your price. But I'd probably go for it if everything checks out.

Dave Sweeney
10-30-2008, 4:53 PM
Unless you really prefer old iron why not consider some new ones in that price range? A jointer is basically a very simple machine so I'm not sure what you'll gain by going the used route here. A new machine will come with a warranty so any problems you may happen to have will be taken care of. I'm not saying that that particular jointer isn't a good deal or worth the asking price but considering the fact that jointers aren't complicated machines you'll not be gaining anything over a brand new one IMO.

Jeff Duncan
10-30-2008, 4:57 PM
I'd be surprised if it's still available by the time you've made up your mind. And there's nothing new anywhere near that price that will be the quality of the older Powermatic machines.
JeffD

Frank Drew
10-30-2008, 6:28 PM
Dave,

I'm with Jeff -- machine quality hasn't remained static all these years, it's gone downhill for the most part. IMO it's always well worth looking for the older stuff from the good to very good manufacturers.

Pete Bradley
10-30-2008, 7:14 PM
It's a good quality machine, but I still think $350's a lot for a 6" machine, especially one that's not ready to work. Figure on cleaning the table, replacing the bearings, and removing that piece of pipe at the very least.

Make sure it's not missing anything, it's not cracked (especially at the bottoms of the dovetails) and that it will run on power you have. Adjust your offer accordingly.

Pete

Peter Quinn
10-30-2008, 7:17 PM
Do not jump on any jointer. While they are durable, they are sensitive pieces of precision equipment and should not be abused.:rolleyes:

Bob Slater
10-30-2008, 7:22 PM
One great thing about quality American power tools is that the depreciation is over. If in a few years, if you decide to move on, get a bigger one, take up knitting, you might be able to sell it for more than you paid. I doubt it would be worth less. The way stuff is being cheapened by the day, I can see people becoming more interested in items that represent good examples of quality manufacturing.

John Schumer
10-30-2008, 8:36 PM
BUY IT!!
I scored a 1959 Powermatic Model 50 awhile back.
Replaced bearings for $30.00. There is nothing new in this size range
at this quality.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-30-2008, 8:39 PM
Kent, any of the jointers you've showed us are fine machines. Don't stress too much over the decision, just buy the one that is still available. BTW, I really doubt this one will need anything to be perfectly useable.

Orlando Gonzalez
10-30-2008, 8:46 PM
Get it. I got mine for $150, changed the bearings, belt, infeed table leveling screw, and put a Byrd Shelix on it. Heavy, accurate, sweet running Leeson motor, and reliable Furnas switch on it.

HTH
Orlando