PDA

View Full Version : Best Cherry lumber in Tennessee?

Alex Shanku
10-30-2008, 2:38 PM
Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to Tennessee and am looking for the best cherry in the state (central region, or around nashville/knoxville)

I have a couple of pieces I am going to be building, including a dinning room table, which I will be using cherry for.

Thanks a lot,

Alex

Nancy Laird
10-30-2008, 3:36 PM
Not in Middle Tennessee, but over in the West in Troy, Obion County. Hanafee Brothers lumber has cherry, and the last I saw there was gorgeous. Give them a try, if you're up for a weekday road trip (they aren't open Saturdays).

Bob Wingard
10-30-2008, 6:47 PM
Jeffries Woodworking .. Knoxville has about the best selection in the area.

Johnny Kleso
10-30-2008, 8:59 PM
My Friend Justin has some awesome deal on wood if you might want to try exotic
http://www.exoticwoodsoftheworld.com/

He is in Middleton TN.

He has a mountian of African Mahogany last time I looks..

Some of the wood is not FAS so you have to read what the quality is...

He runs so specials on a email list if you want to join of give him a call 731-212-1649

PS:
Makore is known as african Cherry

Karl Brogger
10-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Cookville eh? I've got a cabin for sale in Jamestown......

Supposedly the place on Hwy 154 inbetween Jamestown and the park has good quality lumber. Wouldn't know it from looking at the place. As far as curb appeal goes the place looks like a dump.

Matt Robinette
10-31-2008, 12:22 AM
In the Nashville area it is Middle Tennessee Lumber it is west of Nashville Just off of I40 in Dickson. I havn't found a better supplier in the area for hardwood lumber.

Ps: no I don't work there but I wish I knew someone who did.

Alex Shanku
11-01-2008, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the leads so far everyone. I will start checking into them this weekend and next week.

Rich Enders
11-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm sure Tennessee has some good stuff, but my best Cherry has been from Groff in Quarryville, PA. AND... they are seem old world honest.

On one order they failed to ship a 16" wide piece. Since this piece was mas importante (the writing surface of a plantation secretary) I called. They took my word for it, and sent it out immediately and no charge.

A side note: Can you imagine how big a cherry tree has to be to yield a piece 16" wide with no sign of pith.

John Hixon
11-01-2008, 6:55 PM
I gueth it would be too big to pith on.;)

dan grant
11-01-2008, 8:36 PM
still laughing that is good

Rich Enders
11-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Got me.......