PDA

View Full Version : Router Plate Bit Opening

Scott C. Williams
10-30-2008, 2:22 PM
I am interested in purchasing a router raised panel bit w/backcutter which has an O.D. of 3.50". The router mounting plate I have has a max. bit opening of 3.25". Is the remedy to install, with double sided tape, a 1/4 - 3/8 additional top to the existing router table top with an approx 3.75 bit opening?
I am interested what others have done to eliminate this problem.

glenn bradley
10-30-2008, 4:38 PM
My first preference would be to look for that profile on a cutter that would fit your plate.

Hmmm, even the smallest Whiteside RP bit I can find is 3-1/4". Is that the largest bit you can take or is that the actual opening size? Sorry, I got distracted . . . Be that as it may:

If you must go ahead, and it sounds like you may have to, I would be more tempted to attach your router directly to a piece of material the size of your router table top with an appropriate opening. Remove your current plate and double stick tape the whole panel to your current top. Clamping the panel would even be better. I wouldn't want to spin a bit that big without being really sure that things are fastened down tight.

There will be a reasonable amount of lateral pressure against that bit even when taking multiple passes. I would not want my temporary top to shift on me. As far as my eliminating the problem, my opening is 3-9/16" and I have yet to find a bit that won't fit. . . notice I said yet? Seriously, since you don't already have the bit, I would look for one that fits. If many raised panel bits are too large and you plan to do RP doors much, I would consider switching plates. What type is it, if I can ask?

Oh, htere's a Freud (99-511) that is only 2-3/4" but it may not be your profile. Also an Amana (54118) at 2-5/8"

Scott C. Williams
10-30-2008, 7:06 PM
Glen,
The plate is a Rockler #24060.
I would leave the router mounted to the plate, but would add the sub-top which would require raising the height of the bit and therefore allow clearance between the plate opening and the bit O.D.

glenn bradley
10-30-2008, 8:01 PM
Glen,
The plate is a Rockler #24060.
I would leave the router mounted to the plate, but would add the sub-top which would require raising the height of the bit and therefore allow clearance between the plate opening and the bit O.D.

I could see that working. I think you have a solution. Just clamp that extra panel down good and tight. Maybe someone else will chime in with something we haven't thought of.

I just checked one of the Rockler plates I used to run. I never realized they were 3-1/4". I had run some Woodcraft RP sets so you may want to check some of their profiles as well to see if they would meet your needs and fit unaltered. That way you wouldn't need the extra panel in the future. I'm assuming your router will extend the bit high enough. A Freud maybe? They have nice long collets ;-)

P.s. I have used 1/4" MDF for things like this. It's tougher than you think, reliable thickness-wise and way cheaper than tempered (smooth on both sides) Masonite.

Rob Cunningham
10-31-2008, 8:43 AM
Your idea of mounting a sub plate sounds like it would work, but I don't think the double sided tape is a good idea. That's a lot of bit spinning around and you want to make sure everything is secure. I would opt for making or buying a plate with the proper opening in it.
Is your router large enough (HP) to handle a bit of that size?

Gary Lange
10-31-2008, 9:35 AM
Made me go out and check my Woodpecker Plate and I am good to go with a little over 3-1/2" opening.

Doug Shepard
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I think I'd just get another plate and drill the opening out larger. Eagle has some fairly cheap ones in a number of sizes
http://eagleamerica.com/heavy-duty-universal-router-mounting-plates/p/415-0510/

Greg Hines, MD
10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I think I'd just get another plate and drill the opening out larger. Eagle has some fairly cheap ones in a number of sizes
http://eagleamerica.com/heavy-duty-universal-router-mounting-plates/p/415-0510/

You could probably make a replacement insert cheaper than Eagle has out of 3/8" Plexiglas from the Borg and then could make the opening custom fitted to a specific bit.

Doc

Dave Falkenstein
10-31-2008, 8:25 PM
...Is the remedy to install, with double sided tape, a 1/4 - 3/8 additional top to the existing router table top with an approx 3.75 bit opening?
I am interested what others have done to eliminate this problem.

I used the solution you described when I had a Rockler plate in my router table. It worked just fine.