PDA

View Full Version : Makita 2040

Joe gill
10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I am looking at a 2040 and have locked in a price with someone, but would like to know what I should look for in terms of items that need to be addressed. I was told the feed rollers are shot and there is no rubber left on them so I've priced out recovering them. I found a couple of places, has anyone used http://foresterroller.com/id5.html, they are the least expensive. What I've noticed is that they say Makita refers customers to them and they use a better cover than what was originally on there, but the girl said they do not use polyurethane. The other vendors seem to use a DUO Poly as a cover. Does anyone have any experience with these vendors and which cover would be better as well as other things I should look when going over the planner?

Also does anyone have any pics of theirs and dust collection ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Padilla
10-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Joe,

First, welcome to the Creek! I hope you find the water to your liking around here! :)

Second, since I had no idea what a Makita 2040 was, I simply googled "Makita 2040" and learned! I found some real interesting links on the first page so give that shot, too.

Joe gill
10-30-2008, 1:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I was really looking for people that may have had experience with recovering thier 2040 rollers with these companies.

Bob Aquino
10-30-2008, 7:07 PM
I reubilt a 2030 and sent the rollers to western rollers http://www.westernroller.com/contact.html. They cleaned them up and recovered them for around 75 each plus a small amount for shipping. The covering was a yellow 70 duro polyurethane that they say will last as long as the machine does (much better than the original material, used in many industrial applications). Don't remember the name of the guy but give them a call at the contact number, they will know who you need to talk to. Very higly recommended.

Here is a link to some pix of my 2030 refurb. I really like this little machine. It is a loud little beast with the universal motor, but the finish on the work is very nice and the jointer beds are as long as your average 8 inch machine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aquino.bob/Makita2030Planer#

Jason Perrott
11-02-2008, 5:05 PM
This is a great machine! Had mine for around 22 years, just had to get the rollers recoated. Paid $140 for both, in town, took only 5 days. My rollers came back bright green, but you cant see them in the machine. I used Axiom Industries in Tualatin Oregon, they can be found online, I highly recommend them to anyone on the west coast, as shipping from NY is probably big money, they are heavy!
The removal and replacement only takes about 1/2 hour each, not hard, but you will need some c-clip pliers to remove 2 clips, I got some cheapies at harbor F.....
I used some standard 2.5 inch shopvac accessories for dust collection. Used a floor sweep for the planer and a 4" attachment under the jointer.
As stated before, its a real screamer, ear protection mandatory.

Jason

just curious what they are selling for these days? wouldn't sell mine for less than 2k I love it so much:D

David Freed
11-02-2008, 8:22 PM
I bought a new 2040 about 20 years ago, only to be very disappointed. The factory supplied motor is severely underpowered. When you would feed a board in at the recommended depth setting for the width of the board, it would drastically slow the motor, which would also cut the feed speed to less than half of what it was rated. I couldn't return it because they said it was working like it was supposed to. I ended up making major modifications to install a much larger motor. Once I solved that problem, the planer worked very well. I have since gotten a larger more powerful planer and sold the Makita to my neighbor. I would accept another one if somebody gave it to me, but I would never be interested in buying another one.

Joe gill
11-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Well here she is $75 later. I now want to repaint and get the rollers recovered. I need to make a connection for my dust collector now as well.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/craigslist34/IMGP2625.jpg