PDA

View Full Version : Jointer selection on a budget

Anthony Whitesell
10-30-2008, 9:17 AM
MS Cashback is at 25% today and the eBay coupon (which I just received) expires today. I'm thinking of breaking (way) down and grabbing the jointer while I can combine the coupons. I already bought a bandsaw so funds are a little tight, so at $800 I max out the MS cashback.

I'm looking at Grizzly jointers and have four options:

G0490 8" width, 76" length, straight blades, parallelogram adjustment
G0526 6" width, 60" length, spiral cutterhead, dovetail adjustment
G0604ZX 6" width, 55" length, spiral cutterhead, parallelogram adjustment
G0586 8" width, 75" length, straight blades, dovetail adjustment

The G0490X has the best of all the above (8" width, 76" length, parallelogram adjustement, and spiral cutter head), but it also exceeds today's budget.

So my question to the jointer experts, where would you put your money?

glenn bradley
10-30-2008, 9:27 AM
Just reporting on my experience . . . The G0490 (as with others) could be upgraded with a spiral head down the road. I chose the G0490X due to:

- current owner's endorsements here and on other forums
- 8" (had a 6" and like many, many folks, took the loss during upgrade)
- spiral head (doesn't count in your case right now)
- parallelogram beds (an under-sung feature)
- taller fence
- 3 HP (wouldn't want less)
- built in mobile base

I have been extremely happy with my choice.

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2008, 9:32 AM
Well, I would rate jointer width as more important than jointer length, so I would go with width first, length second, and stick with standard knives if you cannot get a Tersa or similar head. (Thats why I own an A3-31).

Based upon experiences with my friends, they delay knife changes because they aren't good at it, to the point that their jointers are only slightly better than your average squirrel at processing wood. So a Tersa, or other quick change, no adjustment required knife would be their best jointer improvement.

Many people talk about dovetail ways versus parallelogram, however in the two decades that I owned my General 8" jointer, it never needed adjustment, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

(It was checked after delivery by the General Tech, and required no adjustments).

Regards, Rod.

Charlie Porter
10-30-2008, 9:38 AM
It is cheaper to buy a G0490 and spiral cutterhead separately. With the Ms cashback deal it is even cheaper to go that way rather than buying a G0490X.

Jeff Duncan
10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
None of the above....
For my money I'd get a better quality used jointer, but that's just me:)
JeffD

Anthony Whitesell
10-30-2008, 10:56 AM
OK Jeff, name names. What (or who) am I looking for?

In my area I have an old Delta DJ20 for $450, a Linmac CT-200 for $650, and a Grizzly G1018 for $425.

John Thompson
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Agree with Rod on dove-tail way. I've owned jointers for over 30 years and have never had a problem with them yet. I have also used standard knives on all my jointers and not likely to up-grade. They do just as good a job with a few exceptions (birds-eye maple for one).

It is a chore to change blades (which are cheap) with standard knives but... I eliminated that with a Steel City 8" which has reversible knives and the cutter-head has index pins. You unscrew the bolts... flip them over.. re-tighten and get back to jointing as the index pins eliminate having to adjust to correct heights.

Also agree with width first and lenght next but... if you go 6" for whatever reason... go for lenght as every inch helps on long stock as I do.

Sarge..

scott spencer
10-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I need more width more often than I need more length, but if you have room, having extra capacity for both is more important than a better cut IMHO.

Scott Wigginton
10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
I asked a very similar question (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95385)regarding the Grizzly line of jointers yesterday. What's your scenario? Do you have a jointer and a planer?

Without any background I'd suggest an 8" which limits this to the G0586 or G0490. Price diff is $98 after cashback. If you ever will want to move this unit a mobile base from HTC (http://www.htcproductsinc.com/products.php)is gonna cost $100 (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HSG-436).

In addition to a mobile base the 0490 weights 90 lbs more (the manual gives unloaded weights), 50% more Horsepower, and a potentially more stable bed. However it requires 240V.

I can't think of a single reason to go for the 0586 unless you just absolutely cannot come up with the money, but if you were at that point it'd probably be best to just wait anyway.

Good luck and enjoy if you get one!

-Scott

Scott Wigginton
10-30-2008, 12:24 PM
It is cheaper to buy a G0490 and spiral cutterhead separately. With the Ms cashback deal it is even cheaper to go that way rather than buying a G0490X.

So long as he's not near his 6 cashback limit, would save $32 if there is no shipping on the H8803. Another option would be to upgrade to a SHELIX to get shear cutting, not sure how much better the Byrd is than the stock Grizzly, but would cost $42 more than the 490X ($75 more than separate purchases).

This is based on the Byrd SHELIX ($449) meant for the 0586 which has identical head specs as the 0490, tho if you go this route call Byrd first to be certain it'd work!

Ben Martin
10-30-2008, 12:39 PM
None of the above....
For my money I'd get a better quality used jointer, but that's just me:)
JeffD

I picked up a used Powermatic 60 for $800 - the $200 cashback. I think I got a great deal for $600. The last two I have seen in my area were for $1000.

Anthony Whitesell
10-30-2008, 1:12 PM
I know you did Scott. This was a take-off on your situation plus I just received the coupon and was looking to see what options people prioritized (width, length, cutter, adjustment seems to be the prevant order at this time).

I have a 12" planer but no jointer. I was looking used, but then got the 10% coupon. I did expect the 6" width to be less popular and the 8" to be heavily supported. I'm also looking at the G0656 which is almost like G0586 but with a built-in base, 1 extra HP, and 3" shorter. I didn't include it because I was looking for the preferences in the options and not the exact models.

Jeff Duncan
10-30-2008, 1:30 PM
OK Jeff, name names. What (or who) am I looking for?

In my area I have an old Delta DJ20 for $450, a Linmac CT-200 for $650, and a Grizzly G1018 for $425.

I'd jump on a DJ20 for $450 in a heartbeat if it was in decent shape. If not the LinMac would likely be as good as a Grizzy, though not having used either specific machine I couldn't say for sure.
What area are you in? Not sure if your local (LinMac machines seem to be local to New England) but in my area 8" jointers are available frequently. I've seen a couple DJ20's come around at less than $1k this year. I may even pick 1 up myself just to have around for the small stuff. There's also an Oliver 8" not too far from me that would probably be close to your budget. Any of the machines you mentioned would leave you with extra $$$ in your pocket for some extra goodies.
good luck,
JeffD

Jeff Duncan
10-30-2008, 1:33 PM
One other thing, I would go for the width over the length any day. You can always add extension tables to a short jointer to handle longer stock. You cannot however, add extra width;)
JeffD

Anthony Whitesell
10-30-2008, 1:50 PM
If you're right about the Linmac machines, then you won't be suprised that I just north of you in NH. Where did you see the oliver?

Scott Wigginton
10-30-2008, 2:05 PM
I know you did Scott. This was a take-off on your situation plus I just received the coupon and was looking to see what options people prioritized (width, length, cutter, adjustment seems to be the prevant order at this time).

I have a 12" planer but no jointer. I was looking used, but then got the 10% coupon. I did expect the 6" width to be less popular and the 8" to be heavily supported. I'm also looking at the G0656 which is almost like G0586 but with a built-in base, 1 extra HP, and 3" shorter. I didn't include it because I was looking for the preferences in the options and not the exact models.

If you still have the 10% off coupon then adjust your numbers accordingly, lowers the discount form buying the 0490 and H8803 separately down to $10 (still assuming free ship with the H8803). However if you're sure on the size of the jointer, you can grab the 0490 for $650 and then figure out later what to do with the spiral head.

If my situation was the same as you, I wouldn't be writting this post 'cause I'd be ordering the 0490! However I'm backwards which drives the bottom line higher.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Anthony Whitesell
10-31-2008, 5:19 AM
You guys are wonderful at helping others spend money, luckily I think it's spent in the right place. The G0490 is on the way. I'm going to try the terminal pickup this time. The lift gate was overrated and didn't handle the bandsaw too well, so I don't have high hopes with this monster.

Jim Becker
10-31-2008, 8:36 AM
Congrats, Anthony. Terminal pickup is generally a good idea when you can do it. Saves money and you can usually get the "big thing" closer to its final destination that way...something hard when a big truck is involved.

Peter Quadarella
10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
The G0490 comes in two boxes. The top is crated pretty well, but check the base out well. My first one was smashed and the box on the second one was a mess, but the base itself was not damaged. On the bright side, they are not particularly hard to transport.

Anthony Whitesell
10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Won't save me much money or time. If it ships New Penn like the B/S did, the terminal is a 90 minute trip each way (3 hour round trip). At 60 mph and 20 mpg, that's about $22.50 in gas. When I ordered the bandsaw, gas would have cost me $30+, so I opted for the $39 lift gate.

My plan this time is to drive the truck to work (two-thirds the way there) and go over after work to get it, which means I won't have to wait 1to 3 hours for them to arrive at the house. The crates for the jointer are short heightwise so they should be easier to handle than 6 1/2' bandsaw. They should also fit in the back of the truck under the cap so I won't need a trailer.

Don Bullock
10-31-2008, 11:07 AM
You guys are wonderful at helping others spend money, luckily I think it's spent in the right place. The G0490 is on the way. I'm going to try the terminal pickup this time. The lift gate was overrated and didn't handle the bandsaw too well, so I don't have high hopes with this monster.

Congratulations Anthony. The G0490 is my first jointer. My experience with liftgate service was excellent. The FedEx Freight driver delivered it to the spot in my garage that I wanted it placed and he waited until I checked it out for damage. I was able, with the help of three others, to lift the jointer easily onto the stand. Mine was easy to set up and works very well. You should be pleased with your decision.

Anthony Whitesell
10-31-2008, 11:18 AM
My lift gate service experience was good as well, but between 1 and 4 was 3:30. I was he second to last stop, he was in a hurry and the saw didn't fit so well on the lift gate. I was waiting for it to tip and fall on the ground sideways. Since the jointer crate isn't 6+ feet tall, I'm going to try the terminal pick-up thing.

I'm waiting for the Grizzly confirmation so I can found out how much each crate weighs. To decide what to do when I get it home. I have access to an engine hoist and a couple of block and tackles. I'll figure it out when the time comes.

Scott Wigginton
10-31-2008, 2:09 PM
The G0490 comes in two boxes. The top is crated pretty well, but check the base out well. My first one was smashed and the box on the second one was a mess, but the base itself was not damaged. On the bright side, they are not particularly hard to transport.

Peter, do you remember the size of the boxes? I'm thinking about making the same plunge and wonder if I can use the front end loader on my tractor to move it.

Shawn Walker
10-31-2008, 2:21 PM
My lift gate service experience was good as well, but between 1 and 4 was 3:30. I was he second to last stop, he was in a hurry and the saw didn't fit so well on the lift gate. I was waiting for it to tip and fall on the ground sideways. Since the jointer crate isn't 6+ feet tall, I'm going to try the terminal pick-up thing.

I'm waiting for the Grizzly confirmation so I can found out how much each crate weighs. To decide what to do when I get it home. I have access to an engine hoist and a couple of block and tackles. I'll figure it out when the time comes.

I used an engine hoist to put mine together.

Augusto Orosco
10-31-2008, 2:22 PM
Peter, do you remember the size of the boxes? I'm thinking about making the same plunge and wonder if I can use the front end loader on my tractor to move it.

If you go to Grizzly's website. You can find all the specs. For the GO490:

Product Dimensions:
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ............. 508 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ .................................................. .............76-3/8 x 23-1/2 x 32-5/8 in.
Foot Print (Length/Width)............................................ .................................................. ................... 44-1/2 x 16-1/2 in.
Shipping Dimensions:
Carton #1
Type.............................................. .................................................. ................................................ Wood Crate
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .. Machine
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ... 430 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ .................................................. ..................... 81 x 25 x 13 in.
Carton #2
Type.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. Cardboard
Content........................................... .................................................. .................................................. ...... Stand
Weight............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ... 167 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ .................................................. ..................... 38 x 18 x 28 in.

I just took delivery of the GO656. The UPS guy was great and placed it right inside my garage. The first box contains the jointer bed and obviously, it is a long and heavy crate.

Anthony Whitesell
10-31-2008, 2:49 PM
I don't think you could lift it directly with the bucket, but some strapping hung down might work. I just realized I can't add. 25 and 18 is 43 not 33. The clearance between the truck wheel wells is only ~36". I'll need to refigure my plan. :rolleyes:

I looked and looked for the crating information and still can't find it. :mad:

I'm impressed again, they must really want their money. Order at 10pm last night. Confirmation email received at 2pm. Will be loaded on the truck tonight or tomorrow. Headed north first thing Monday. Should be at the terminal by Thursday. :D

They tricked me though. I expected Grizzly to use the same carrier as last time. The bandsaw shipped via New Penn into Billerica, 90 minutes away. The jointer is shipping UPS freight into Londonderry, 35 minutes away. :D:D:D

Scott Wigginton
10-31-2008, 2:52 PM
Cesar, thanks for pointing me straight (and this is one of my pet peeves!), I just assumed the specs pdf was the same as was listed on that page.

I'm still wondering if there is any noticable difference between the Byrd SHELIX and the Spiral cutterhead Grizzly includes on the 0490X.

glenn bradley
10-31-2008, 6:54 PM
I'm still wondering if there is any noticable difference between the Byrd SHELIX and the Spiral cutterhead Grizzly includes on the 0490X.

I sat on the fence on this issue for the longest time. Compounding my problem was the fact that the pic in the catalog and on the website was not the head they use. I wish I had known this sooner because that is what caused most of my concern. . . why does it spiral the opposite direction? Why does it look like there are less inserts or the pattern is odd? Well, turns out they're not. The head in all the pics when I was looking were of a head that was discontinued long ago. They seem to have fixed that online now, I'm not sure about the catalog.

The current German-made head is now pictured and works beautifully. I was agonizing over whether the Byrd would be better. If I'd spent this much, why not go all the way? The cost difference is pretty small . . . In the end I went with the Grizzly head. I found some folks who had both. All agreed both were the same quality-wise. Current owner's comments and not having to deal with the table re-adjustment issues following a Byrd install just kinda pushed me over.

It boils down to no defining reason to go either way so whatever you choose would be fine. I have been very happy with the Griz head and am not alone. There are just as many Byrd head users out there that are smiling away and the swap is supposed to be pretty straight forward for most handy folks.

Randy Looney
11-01-2008, 4:09 AM
If it was me I would save a few more pennies and buy the GO490X or GO495X , I have used the G9860ZX 12" jointer with the Spiral cutter head. One suggestion before using is get a good set of hex head bits (Not hollow tipped) and loosen all of the blades and retighten then. Grizzly torques them in the factory and it only get worse after use. The one we had had not had the blades rotated in 4 years due to breaking the hex head bits and as far as I know they still have not been changed. I was able to get one row done but took 3 hours and 4 bit later to finish that one row. Just a suggestion.