PDA

View Full Version : tail vise

Zahid Naqvi
05-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Can this bench screw be converted into a tail vise. I keep thinking it must be doable but can't invent any working model in my head. I know I can get the propper hardware for about $70-80, but the difference in price is worth a pair of tennis shoes :cool: , or a nice used Disston back saw etc. Any ideas are appreciated. The practical need I have is for a moving surface for holding wood against my stationary bench dogs.

http://amos.catalogcity.com/cc.class/cc?pcd=8022549&ccsyn=22

Mark Singer
05-25-2004, 11:55 AM
You will need a track to guide the wood vise....it is usually metal. It can be made in wood but may not glide well. You can make a Scandanavian Bench screw vise...this makes a nice bench for hand work

Tim Sproul
05-25-2004, 12:36 PM
As Mark said...you will need a track. IMO...you will spend more time on it and likely get a sloppy vise out of it.....really not worth the $50 savings.

If you go for it...I'd make the bench and tail vise about 6 inches thick. Use 2 beefy sliding dovetails....male members on the vise and female member in the side of the bench top. Make these ever so slightly sloppy and wax regularly - this is the problem. If you have really dry humidity for a few weeks, the vise is likely to become too sloppy. IF you have really humid conditions, the vise may not work at all. You can try to minimize the movement by using a strip of quartersawn purpleheart (or other very stable and very well-wearing wood) in the bench and cut the female part of the sliding dovetail(s) in that. The combination of a very stable cut (quartersawn) and very stable wood species (purpleheart comes to mind since it is stable, not too expensive, and wears very well) may well prevent any movement issues.

Remember when cutting the sliding dovetails to account for a mil or two of space taken up by the wax lubricant.

another rec - I'd do the male members as you would for attatching a table top....screw them into the vise. That should make fitting the vise much easier. You then need to be sure you accurately route the sliding dovetails parallel - which is rather easy with a router and fence or router table and fence. You can mount the male member to the vise and counterbore (use panhead screws and washers - not wood screws or other screw with a beveled head) a bit oversize to give you a few mils of adjustment room.....

best of luck.

Chris Padilla
05-25-2004, 1:03 PM
Interesting idea there, Tim, with PH. For a really stable domestic wood, I'd try out mesquite--this stuff doesn't move. It is pricey, however, and not terribly easy to get if you aren't "down south."

Tim Sproul
05-25-2004, 1:12 PM
Zahid,

Another alternative is to use Lee Valley's Wonder Dog or wonder pup:

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/clamps/05g1001s3.jpg

At less than $25....you'll have what you want. You'll need at least one 3/4 inch hole in your bench top though.

Zahid Naqvi
05-25-2004, 4:44 PM
Tim, that is the answer to my prayers. I do have a series of 3/4" dog holes in my workbench, which will accomodate this contraption. That also starts me thinking perhaps I can make one myself under $10 if I can locate similar hardware (what can I say I am cheap :D , too many hobbies to pay for).