PDA

View Full Version : Material for Homemade Aluminum Tool Handle

Gilbert Vega
10-30-2008, 1:44 AM
I have a couple of the Mike Hosaluk tool handles and was trying to make my own. Does anyone have a source for the hose sleeves typically used to make the tools? I was thinking about using 1/2" and 3/4" aluminum conduit with is 0.107" thick and having a machinist buddy make the ends. thanks for any help.

Sean Troy
10-30-2008, 7:12 AM
The borgs carry hose by the foot in different sizes in the plumbing department.

Denis Puland
10-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi
I am not trying to be a smart Alec but why use aluminum for a tool handle??

I have found that the more heft or weight I have in my tool handle the easier it is to control the cut.
Less vibration and a smoother cut for the most part.

All of my roughing tools have a heavy steel extension added to the wood handle.

My one cents worth::))

Denis

Justin Leiwig
10-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi
I am not trying to be a smart Alec but why use aluminum for a tool handle??

I have found that the more heft or weight I have in my tool handle the easier it is to control the cut.
Less vibration and a smoother cut for the most part.

All of my roughing tools have a heavy steel extension added to the wood handle.

My one cents worth::))

Denis

From what I've read and seen most of the aluminum tool handles are filled with lead shot. Much heavier than any wood tool handle

Harvey Schneider
10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
From what I've read and seen most of the aluminum tool handles are filled with lead shot. Much heavier than any wood tool handle

Why use aluminum and lead shot when steel will do it? Aluminum is more expensive than steel, and lead is toxic and expensive.

Jim Becker
10-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Why use aluminum and lead shot when steel will do it? Aluminum is more expensive than steel, and lead is toxic and expensive.

The simple answer is more control over the actual weight of the handle. There are obviously things than be substituted for the lead shot if there is concern over using it.

Frank Kobilsek
10-30-2008, 4:38 PM
I think the use of Aluminum tube in homemade handles came about because you can machine it yourself on your wood lathe with small scapers. So cost and weight questions are thrown out for the self made satisfaction.

Frank

Gilbert Vega
10-30-2008, 5:51 PM
I read somewhere that aluminum will transfer vibration as much as steel. Anyone know whether this is true?

Here's a pic of the tubing from the Hosaluk handle.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2987822386_4b0fe63d82_o.jpg

Doug Reesor
10-30-2008, 6:07 PM
Gilbert,

I think there should be no difference in the vibration transmission for steel or aluminum since they are both metals that will transmit the energy instead of absorbing or damping it like wood or plastics. The damping of virbrations in a metal handle might be affected by the design but that would apply to either steel or aluminum.

I agree with the staightment above about the machining of aluminum being much easier. The real question for me is attacheing the blade. If you do it with screws, as they use in some handles, there is a bigger risk of stripping the threads with wear and tear.

Doug

Sean Troy
10-30-2008, 6:15 PM
Gilbert,

I think there should be no difference in the vibration transmission for steel or aluminum since they are both metals that will transmit the energy instead of absorbing or damping it like wood or plastics. The damping of virbrations in a metal handle might be affected by the design but that would apply to either steel or aluminum.

I agree with the staightment above about the machining of aluminum being much easier. The real question for me is attacheing the blade. If you do it with screws, as they use in some handles, there is a bigger risk of stripping the threads with wear and tear.

Doug
Instead of screws, CA glue has been used and when it's time to change out the dead tool, just heat and remove the spent steel.

michael p williams
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
If the threads strip in aluminum, you could use helicoils to fix it. Hmm, you could also use them when you make the handle.

Gilbert,

Doug

Paul Engle
11-17-2008, 2:21 PM
Gilbert last year I did a whole series on collet type tool handles using off the shelf parts from the hardware store including the hoses to cover the metal and making wood handles and inserting the tool holder , PM me if you are intrested and I will send you link for the site and help you walk thru it ( doug thompson tool site also has the link to the tutorial)