PDA

View Full Version : DNA soaking??

lynn smith
10-30-2008, 12:54 AM
What is the safest type of container to use when soaking bowls in DNA.
I know this question has been asked before, but I was unable to locate the post, what kind of time frame do you use for soaking?

I went to my local paint store and got a 5 gallon can of DNA for $50.00
thought that was a pretty good deal.

Thanks

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2008, 1:19 AM
Lynn,

I've used a 5 or 6 gallon paint bucket I got from my neighbor who is a painting contractor. It has a nice lid with an O-ring seal. Works well.

Jon Lanier
10-30-2008, 1:50 AM
What is the safest type of container to use when soaking bowls in DNA.
I know this question has been asked before, but I was unable to locate the post, what kind of time frame do you use for soaking?

I went to my local paint store and got a 5 gallon can of DNA for $50.00
thought that was a pretty good deal.

Thanks

I purchased a 2-3 gallon plastic paint bucket at my local Lowes. Make sure you get a good lid with it! That stuff can evaporate extremely quick.

As to how long to soak, I usually give it at least 24 hours. I don't know if it can be shorter time or not, but I know I'm good at 24. You can keep the bowl in there weeks and months. The key is to make sure it is 'soaked'.

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2008, 9:39 AM
I use a 5 gal paint container like Ken from a paint contractor. I usually soak my turnings for at least 48 hrs. Fruit wood I may soak for 3 to 5 days. I left a couple of bowls in there for a week and no harm done. Doing this the turnings are generally dry to re-turn in about 2 to 4 weeks. Most generally I don't get back to them for at least a month or more.

Bill Mitchel
10-30-2008, 9:47 AM
Here is an article that Steve Schlumph posted. I found it very helpful and easy to follow. I just started soaking in DNA, I have about a week more and will be able to finish some cherry and walnut rough turnings and will post my results. I also use a 5 gal bucket with a tight fitting lid.
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml

Bill

Matt Wolboldt
10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
This may seem to be a dumb question. The DNA soaking is just to speed up the drying process right? i.e Replace all the water in the cells with alcohol which evaporates quickly. Thanks

Nevermind. I clicked on the link and it answered the question :).

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Lynn - I use a very large plastic garden planter because a lot of my turnings won't fit into a 5 gallon bucket. I have the inside of the planter 1/2 full of shavings and then use a Contractor's Trash Bag that I cut so I can use the bottom half. Place the turning in the plastic bag and then push it and the plastic bag into the shavings so that the shavings cradle the form. Then I pour DNA into the bag and use a twist tie to seal the bag. Works great on all sizes and shapes and it uses the minimal amount of DNA to soak the form.

Frank Kobilsek
10-30-2008, 3:39 PM
Lynn,

Like the others I use a 5 gallon metal pail with a tight lid. Limits size to under 12" diameter.

The best I have seen was in the shop of a turner that stops by here from time to time. He had what he called a 'Crab bait' pail that he bough on line. It was a heavy tuperware like container about 20 to 22" in diameter and 12 to 14" deep. Even better it had a strainer basket inside so you could lift out the stuff without diving your hand into the DNA of fumbling with Bar-b-que tongs.

Frank

Christopher Fletcher
10-30-2008, 5:42 PM
Lynn,

Like the others I use a 5 gallon metal pail with a tight lid. Limits size to under 12" diameter.

The best I have seen was in the shop of a turner that stops by here from time to time. He had what he called a 'Crab bait' pail that he bough on line. It was a heavy tuperware like container about 20 to 22" in diameter and 12 to 14" deep. Even better it had a strainer basket inside so you could lift out the stuff without diving your hand into the DNA of fumbling with Bar-b-que tongs.

Frank

Bar-B-Q tongs!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing016.gif All this time I've been bobbing for bowls in the DNA!

John Sheets
10-30-2008, 8:53 PM
Lynn,
I don't know which is the safest, but the one that requires the least volume of alcohol is a container shaped like your bowl. I have several sizes of the rubbermaid type bowls with the snap on lids. I got one real large Tupperware bowl on ebay; wasn't too pricey.
JS

lynn smith
10-31-2008, 1:06 AM
Really appreciate the information on a subject already discussed.
I was a little concerned with storing 5 gallons of DNA, but I have a good place to keep it,
and what would be a good method of soaking.

Thanks much
PS My turnings are improving all the time, due inpart to all y'all.