PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and flash problem

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
When I turned on my computer today I got a message that I needed to update my flash plug in.
My video is not working in Firefox. (Ok in IE) Says I am running an older vs of flash. I updated flash and Java so I am up to date. But still get the same update message needed.
I did a search on the net and there seems to be a problem with Firefox finding the older flash, Not the new. When you update, it does not remove the old.

I did some reading and people say the uninstall for flash does not remove all the old files so it does not work. I could uninstall Firefox and start over but hate to lose my Bookmarks and all the passwords I have stored.

Any and all help to solve this easly would be helpful. I could follow the info online but don't trust the source. (0nline group)

David DeCristoforo
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Tools/Options/Content/Manage(File types). You should be able to point it to the updated plug-in for Shockwave/Flash files.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Tools/Options/Content/Manage(File types). You should be able to point it to the updated plug-in for Shockwave/Flash files.

Thanks for the info.

I do not show "manage (File type)" or the like under the content tab. ??

Jim Becker
10-30-2008, 9:14 AM
There are reports that the Flash update is causing issues. Windows Secrets suggested removing and reinstalling.

Dave Lehnert
10-30-2008, 4:11 PM
There are reports that the Flash update is causing issues. Windows Secrets suggested removing and reinstalling.

Thanks Jim.

Suggest removing Flash or FireFox?

I was reading that the uninstall for Flash is not doing the trick. Not sure how to find what I need to remove.

Also is there a site you would suggest for help. A Sawmill creek for computers.

Joe Pelonio
10-30-2008, 4:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

I do not show "manage (File type)" or the like under the content tab. ??
I have Firefox version 2.0.0.17 and it's there. When you click content "manage" is toward the lower right.

Google MozillaZine for help and forums.

Jim Becker
10-30-2008, 4:46 PM
Thanks Jim.

Suggest removing Flash or FireFox?

Flash.........

Dave Lehnert
10-30-2008, 5:36 PM
Thanks for the info.

After playing with it for some time. It looks like flash is not installed at all in the firefox plug in????. I have downloaded and installed flash but it does not show in the plug in file.

Dave Lehnert
10-31-2008, 9:54 PM
Update

After doing install for the 11th time I got it to work. Why? I have no idea.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2008, 10:06 PM
"After doing install for the 11th time I got it to work..."

Because the first ten times were practice? Because the computer didn't believe you really wanted it? Because the plug in wasn't really plugged all the way in? Because the "wizard" was interrupted? Because you were trying too hard to be a nice guy? For no reason other than its a #$%&*!!#$#@ computer?

Neal Clayton
10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
because adobe makes bloated crap, anything that isn't one of their commercial products (aka photoshop or illustrator) is written by trainees or housebroken monkeys, i can't pinpoint exactly which.

i can't install the new flash on my desktop because my main drive isn't C. that's because first of all microsoft is ignorant, drive letters are a bad way to denote a volume, because they lend themselves to assumptions, which are always bad for any UI. to compound that windows latches on to drives by their serial number and insists on giving new ones new letters, rather than letting you replace them, so if you're like me, and replace your single drive with a raid volume, you have no C drive anymore.

adobe furthers this ignorance by having their installer dump its cab volumes to an assumed location on the ever popular C drive (with no error checking of course), which then crashes because it can't find the files that it failed to copy.