PDA

View Full Version : Flooring

Greg Cole
10-29-2008, 9:29 PM
To those who've ever pulled up the carpet in their home, pulling all the sapples from the pad is for the BIRDS. 1600 square feet of carpet gone and one room left to destaple.....
Least I can watch the new carpet go in and not lift a finger...... til I have to move all the furniture back (whole house of stuff shoved in 2 rooms now) and move my darn fish tanks again....

Just ranting about being on the floor pulling staples.

Greg

Rich Engelhardt
11-01-2008, 5:36 AM
Hello,
HF - knee pads for ~ $5.00 - on sale.
Makes it less painfull.

Look at the bright side.
Since you're putting down new carpet, at least you don't have to go back and fill all those holes & try to blend them into the surrounding hardwood.
;)

Greg Cole
11-01-2008, 9:40 AM
Ahhh, one sympatheic soul at least...LOL
I have the gel insert knee pads as I did some hardwood flooring in 2 bedrooms.
All said and done, I have a pile of LOML points from slaving away this week on this project. New carpet is pretty nice...:rolleyes:

Eric Larsen
11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
I ended up needing knee surgery after I did my floor.

Yes, I wore "best of the best" gel kneepads. Doesn't really matter what kind of pads you have when you're on them 10 hours a day.

Having read so many posts about what a pain it is pulling staples, someone should really invent a long-reach staple puller. Vice-grips on a stick, I suppose.

James Stokes
11-01-2008, 10:45 AM
It is to late for this now but if you take a sharp scraper and scrape the floor with that 99% of the staples will come right out. You should be able to de-staple a 1600 foot home in less than an hour.

Chris Padilla
11-01-2008, 11:18 AM
My carpet layers de-stapled the floor for me! :D They basically used what James referred to above. Floor preparation is important...you'd think the floor guys would do that as part of the job!

Greg Cole
11-02-2008, 8:11 AM
My carpet layers de-stapled the floor for me! :D They basically used what James referred to above.!

Since the new carpet is aobut 180* from the old in regards to color etc, I had to bite the bullet on some furniture to match, so removing the old carpet saved a few bucks... or else the couch n recliner woulda looked like a red fender on a black car per say.
The installer said "dude, we have a neat tool to pull the staples and laughed at my whining about being on on hands n knees doing it".:p
All worth it as I got a pile of bonus points from LOML still....

Cheers.

Rich Engelhardt
11-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Hello,

All worth it as I got a pile of bonus points from LOML still....

That's a lot more than I got!

Then again, I made her do one half while I did the other.

I guess that had something to do with it ;).

Art Mulder
11-02-2008, 9:37 PM
Geez, don't any of you guys have kids!?

When we re-did our LR/DR in hardwood last February, my kids pulled most of the staples after I ripped out the carpet. We made it a family project.

...art

Pat Germain
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I ripped up my carpet last July to install hardwood flooring. Oh yeah, lots O staples!

Then I pulled up the vinyl in my entryway. It was glued onto 1/8" plywood. Which was installed with about 50,000 staples! Good golly. There was literally one staple per square inch and even more in some places. I got the impression it was installed by some kid who had never used a staple gun before. :rolleyes: