PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Rabbet Plane

Mike Hutchison
10-29-2008, 7:26 PM
Anybody have a Craftsman Rabbet & Fillister Plane No. 3730?
I got one off of eBay. It came in what appears to be an original box.
I'm wondering if I have all the (right) parts for the fence.
With the fence rod I got with plane it doesn't seem like there is much adjustment possible. Would sure like to see a picture of one properly assembled or get hold of the instruction sheet/manual.
Thanks, JMH

Jim Koepke
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
If you can post a picture, or even copy the ones from eBay to post here, then it may be that it can be identified as to who actually made the plane.

From there, it is much easier to get where you want to go.

jtk

Mike Brady
10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Does it look like this?http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee300/finefettle/Sargeant78001.jpg
If it does, It is made by Sargent for Craftsman. You can see the rod and fence here.

Mike Hutchison
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Mike; the picture you posted is a dead ringer for my plane.
Thanks for actual manufacturer info. The plane I have is a light gray.
The fence rod measures about 2 1/2" out from the body when threaded in.
This leaves about 1/2" clearance from the fence to the body of the plane.
I dunno; that distance of adjustment swing just seemed a little small to me.
There is another identical plane on eBay with box and "owner's Manual/instruction sheet. I have requested photocopies of same.
Thanks for responses and info.
Mike Hutchison

Bill Houghton
10-31-2008, 5:05 PM
The purpose of the fence is to limit the width of the rabbet when you don't need the full width of the plane's capacity (which is most of the time). Therefore, the fence mostly goes UNDER the plane body. The 1/2" of clearance to the plane body at its utmost leftward placement is probably to keep the fence from slipping off the fence rod when you're adjusting it. Or something like that.

If you were looking to cut or smooth a rabbet wider than the plane, you would have to clamp or nail a batten to the wood at the inside edge of the rabbet and work it without the fence; this would be an awfully wide rabbet, and planing it this way might not be the most efficient way to create it, though, on a Friday afternoon, more efficient techniques are eluding me - that's a LOT of plane shavings, though.

If you don't already own one of the books on hand planes, it'd be a worthwhile investment. People recommend "The Handplane Book," which your local library may have (I think retail is around $30); I also recommend "Planecraft," which your local library probably won't have, but which you can have for your very own for around $12 from Woodcraft (woodcraft.com or a local Woodcraft franchise store).