PDA

View Full Version : MDF vs veneer core plywood...

chris fox
10-29-2008, 3:35 PM
I am sure this topic has been discussed numerous times. In most cases I could see the benefits of MDF but my concern is using MDF core for floating/suspended Eurostyle vanities. I have had a couple of people suggest to stick with MDF because of its better surface finish, less voids and less chip out.

First, I dont like using MDF in a bathroom because of swelling(granted it would be sealed up but everyone knows water can flow into everything).

Second, I am concerned with weight. I will be using a french cleat for primary holding and using wood screws into studs further down in the carcass. And I am leary of using my KREG screws to bite into MDF in areas where I dont plan to toungue/groove plywood.

I am right with my gut concerns? suggestions?

As always thanks,
Chris

Jamie Buxton
10-29-2008, 8:50 PM
MDF is used by manufacturers because it saves a couple bucks. On a production line, where the cost of materials is a big component, that's a significant savings. In the small shop, quality is more important. MDF has some unfortunate characteristics. It turns to mush if it gets wet. It sags more than plywood of the same thickness. It doesn't hold screws as well, and has some limitations in other kinds of joinery. So listen to your gut.

Charlie Plesums
10-29-2008, 9:34 PM
I have used MDF core ... once. Didn't like it.

My lumber yard has largely changed to combi core... the veneer under the finish ply is composite (to give a smooth surface) but the inner cores are traditional wood plies. I hate this stuff... if you bump a corner it can delaminate over a large area. As a solo woodworker occasionally things go bump, and I have even gotten bulges in the center of a ply where the composite area apparently delaminated under the surface. Gluing something to the surface has little strength... everything needs a dado, biscuit, or screw. They said the large cabinet shops love it. But as a custom furniture maker, I don't.

The alternative seems to be "green" plywood. As a domestic plywood, the show veneer is thicker... at least it can be sanded lightly. And all the plies are wood. It costs a little more, but the quality is much better. And if you want no emissions from the glue, it has it.

David DeCristoforo
10-29-2008, 9:40 PM
It is well known around here that I am not a big fan of MDF. I am never hesitant to discourage people from using it for "actual" projects. LC ply is a vastly superior material in every respect.

Russell Tribby
10-29-2008, 9:46 PM
One of my local suppliers recently started stocking veneered chipboard. The birch costs $50/sheet. It's supposed to be less prone to warping and it measures a true 3/4"

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/attachments/woodworking-projects/662d1225061286-veneered-chipboard-not-particle-board-wafer-board-001.jpg

Peter Quinn
10-29-2008, 9:55 PM
In my experience MDF core material is not suitable for structural applications period. I have used it for flat panel paint grade doors, I have used MDF bead board, I have even used MDX bead board and moldings in a heavy use children's bathroom. I have soaked MDX in a bucket for weeks without any effect on its structural integrity; it was still heavy and weak, just not bloated and wet. So you can deal with the wet issue by using the right type of MDF, but you cannot del with the inherent lack of strength.

Follow your gut and stay away from MDF core material for a floating vanity, or be prepared for call backs, or change your number and business name frequently.:eek:

chris fox
10-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I am the end customer, and I will take a angry "customer" over a disgruntled wife!..ha
I will go with my gut and stick with plycore veneer - thanks for the input.

Chris

Mark Carlson
10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
LC plywood? My google search on this didn't return anything.

~mark

It is well known around here that I am not a big fan of MDF. I am never hesitant to discourage people from using it for "actual" projects. LC ply is a vastly superior material in every respect.

David DeCristoforo
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
"LC plywood? My google search on this didn't return anything."

Sorry.. brain fart. For some reason I thought the OP was asking about Lumber Core ply. But my comments still apply.....

Simon Dupay
10-29-2008, 11:13 PM
now hold on, most shops use MDF because it doesn't warp like vc ply will, it sucks to have to throw away a $100 sheet because it warped beyond use. Just something to consider when choosing sheet goods.

Russell Tribby
10-29-2008, 11:18 PM
now hold on, most shops use MDF because it doesn't warp like vc ply will, it sucks to have to throw away a $100 sheet because it warped beyond use. Just something to consider when choosing sheet goods.

That's why I thought I'd give the chipboard a try. I think the oak was around $70 a sheet and the cherry closer to $90. It's supposed to hold screws just as well as ply and it certainly looks like it will stay flat.

jack duren
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
As mentioned, not because its cheaper but because its more stable. All I use is mdf on residential cabinets and whatever the architects call for on commercial. Usually mdf or pb core melamine....Jack

Ray Schafer
10-30-2008, 1:35 AM
I don't competely agree with Yoshikuni ... er I mean David. I think that everything has its place. I am continuing to experiment with veneer core vs. mdf core hardwood ply. I find that if warping is a potential issue, then mdf core makes sense.

I am also experimenting with screws in mdf and pb. I have started using confirmat screws (at the suggestion of Frank Shic) and find that they are great in both mdf and pb. Frank uses melamine for a lot of things and there are others who use it pretty extensively.

David has much more experience than I, I know, but I find some times when it seems to make sense.

Rick Fisher
10-30-2008, 3:38 AM
I have built more than a few Shaker style Cabinet doors. I used 1/4" Particle core for the flat panel door. Its flatter than 1/4" ply, and a bit thicker.

I presently have a bunch of 1/4" PC Edge grain fir and Lyptus in the garage, just waiting.. and waiting..

Chris Padilla
11-04-2008, 8:22 PM
I've found that more than a few veneer pros seem to prefer MDF substrate for veneering so it has its place there. In fact, I plan to use MDF in a shelving structure that will get veneered...stay tuned.... :)