PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the PRL-V2 Router Lift?

Brian Effinger
10-29-2008, 3:10 PM
Hi all. Does anyone own the new precision router lift from Woodpeckers/Incra, and if so what are your thoughts on it. I am thinking of buying either this, or their Quick Lift QL420A. The quick lift is less expensive, but should I just cough up the extra $ and get the new precision lift?

Any helpful insight is appreciated, because I'm not sure which one to buy.

Thanks.

Brian

Chris Padilla
10-29-2008, 5:06 PM
Brian,

I just placed an order for the PRL-V2 so I expect to get it next week. I've found mark@incra.com to be quite helpful with general inquiries so give him a shout. Feel free to mention my name if you like...dunno what good it will do! haha

Darryl deHaan
10-30-2008, 6:39 AM
I too have been looking at this lift. Does anyone else find it strange that there has been absolutely no hands-on reviews of it yet? I think I have received at least 4 emails from Woodpeckers since the V2's announcement with sale prices on it, which suggests to me that the demand for it isnt what they were hoping. SEND IT TO THE REVIEWERS (or to me :p) and if it cuts the mustard, people will buy it.

D

Jim O'Dell
10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Brian, if you haven't already, join their email list for the savings. 40.00 on the PRL IIRC. I have the regular PRL, and it is a well built piece of machinery. I like the improvements on the V2. Jim.

Chris Padilla
10-30-2008, 11:08 AM
One thing to note:

The PRL-V2 comes in two flavors:

One is from Woodpeckers and the other is from Incra. The only difference that I'm aware of is the insert rings: Woodpeckers uses their twist-out rings while Incra uses a MagnaLock ringset.

I ordered from Incra and got the MagnaLock ringset. I have a Woodpecker's PRL with their twist-lock ringset and while it has been fine, it was never really flush and could be a tad painful to remove at times as you need a tool for it. I'm TOLD (by Incra, of course) that the MagnaLock ringset sits dead flush and is held on by rare earth magnets so no tool needed to remove.

Since I've both systems, I think I can provide a fair assessment of the two systems in a side-by-side comparison. Should be a heckuva thread that will probably need to be heavily moderated and eventually closed, right?! ;) haha :D

Brian Effinger
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the tip Jim. I just signed up for Woodpeckers' e-mail club, although I can get the V2 even cheaper off of that big auction site, with 25% MS cashback, which puts it close to $200.

And Chris, I would have never thought that the 2 different systems would make a big difference. I am not too concerned about using a tool to get the woodpeckers' out, but am a little more concerned about it not sitting flush. You have given me something new to think about. Thanks a lot! :p BTW, would you have to moderate and close your own review thread when you get out of hand, like Jekyll & Hyde? :D

I also wanted to say that I emailed Tom at the NewWoodworker, and he says that there might be a review coming up in the next few weeks (and he already give a great review of the original PRL and the Quick Lift.)

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Roger Bolen
10-30-2008, 1:00 PM
Brian,

I have the PRL and the PRL 2. As Chris stated, the twist rings in the PRL do not sit exactly flush, they are very close but… The twist rings for the PRL and PRL 2 are the same so if you have a PRL, those rings will work with a PRL 2. The twist rings fit my PRL 2 dead flat. The PRL 2 in my opinion is much easier to work with and very accurate. The spring lift coupled with the thumb wheel make router bit adjustments quick and precise. I have relegated my PRL to storage and probably will not use it anymore unless something drastic happens to the PRL 2. In my opinion this is a very useful upgrade if you don’t mind spending the $$$.
Roger

Chris Padilla
10-30-2008, 1:22 PM
Cool...sounds nice, Roger! I look forward to getting mine. One thing I didn't like on my PRL was the need to clean the threads as over time, it would get difficult to move it up and down. I was thinking the new V2 might have solved that but time will tell.

Roger Bolen
10-30-2008, 1:35 PM
Cool...sounds nice, Roger! I look forward to getting mine. One thing I didn't like on my PRL was the need to clean the threads as over time, it would get difficult to move it up and down. I was thinking the new V2 might have solved that but time will tell.
Chris,
The need to clean the threads was a driving factor in my upgrade to the PRL 2. The PRL2 doesn't have the threaded rod configuration the the PRL has, so hopefully the thread cleaning will no longer be an issue.

Roger

Maurice Ungaro
10-30-2008, 4:49 PM
I'm chagrined because one month after I took delivery and installed my PRL, they come out with the PRL II. I can be rather charming when dealing with customer service folks, but I don't think I could get them to take mine back and send me a new version.

Chris Padilla
10-30-2008, 5:27 PM
Chris,
The need to clean the threads was a driving factor in my upgrade to the PRL 2. The PRL2 doesn't have the threaded rod configuration the the PRL has, so hopefully the thread cleaning will no longer be an issue.

Roger

Excellent! Great to hear, Roger. That is what Incra told me and judging by the pics I could find, that seemed to be the case so I was all ready to upgrade. I guess some of us will be selling our old PRLs although I'm trying to think of a reason to keep it....

glenn bradley
10-30-2008, 5:34 PM
I'm chagrined because one month after I took delivery and installed my PRL, they come out with the PRL II. I can be rather charming when dealing with customer service folks, but I don't think I could get them to take mine back and send me a new version.

I felt that same twinge in just about the same time period. I do love the PRL though. My rings will actually go below the surface of the plate if I crank on them. I have gotten a decent "feel" for where flush is and just rest a finger nearby whilst I tighten (which isn't much). As for raising and lowering, my little $15 lithium screw gun from Costco (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94379&d=1218252183) takes care of that ;-)

Chris Padilla
10-30-2008, 5:40 PM
Glenn, wait until those threads get gummed up with dust...that screw gun will be crying and I hope it quits before any cross-threading might result. Do you have the 32 tpi or 16 tpi PRL?

Randal Stevenson
10-30-2008, 6:15 PM
I was looking at the PRL when I got the announcement about the new one. I inquired about it for my model (5625, not listed for the new one).

Still not available so I will have a while before I buy a lift.

glenn bradley
10-30-2008, 6:38 PM
I was looking at the PRL when I got the announcement about the new one. I inquired about it for my model (5625, not listed for the new one).

That's right. I forgot about that. I feel better (again).

Darryl deHaan
10-30-2008, 7:00 PM

Randal, I believe they are offering inserts for the 5625 now... check out their site.

D

Scott Bastian
11-20-2008, 1:39 AM
Brian,

I am curious as to the explanation to being able to get a discount on the PRl-V2 vie web.

I am going to be buying on in the next couple of days if I can get a good price, best I have is from a 2nd chance offer the the auction site of 269 plust 17 S/H for about 287.00. no where near the 200 you explain. Can you help me out?

I have looked at the Pinnacle (same thing at woodcraft) the incra and the woodpecker. Both Pinnacle and woodpecker are twist rings and incra is a drop in. I hear the arguemnts for both, I do not have either ring now so open to both of them.

Mike Goetzke
11-20-2008, 9:07 AM
Brian,

I am curious as to the explanation to being able to get a discount on the PRl-V2 vie web.

I am going to be buying on in the next couple of days if I can get a good price, best I have is from a 2nd chance offer the the auction site of 269 plust 17 S/H for about 287.00. no where near the 200 you explain. Can you help me out?

I have looked at the Pinnacle (same thing at woodcraft) the incra and the woodpecker. Both Pinnacle and woodpecker are twist rings and incra is a drop in. I hear the arguemnts for both, I do not have either ring now so open to both of them.

On eBay there is a seller stuff*too*sell . I pre-ordered a Milwaukee 5625 version from him. He listed it special for me as Buy-It-Now so I could take advantage of the MS Cash Back deal. Find one of his items and e-mail him your questions.

If you need more details PM me.

Mike

Brian Effinger
11-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Scott,
Mike is correct. I ordered it from that guy on ebay and was able to get free shipping and the 25% microsoft cashback, which puts it at just under $210. Be aware though, you have to use the "buy it now" feature and use paypal to make the payment. Take a look in the Deals & Discounts forum for specifics on this cashback program.

Oh, I just thought of it to - if you're in a hurry for it, this may not be for you. I bought mine on Oct 31st and am still waiting for it. In fact, I'm going to email him today and see when it might be shipping. Fortunately, I'm in no rush and I'll wait for free shipping.

Scott Bastian
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Fellas, I am in the process of communicating with the ebay seller and making this thing happen. Thanks for all the explinations for the noob!

I just purchased a peachtree castiron router table from the Costa Mesa wood show in CA a couple of weeks ago and this will make what I hope to be the best router table. I plan on adding this to the right end of my Delta Unisaw that has the 52 inch fence. I was able to score a deal at the show on a new PC 7518 router for 275 less a 40 dollar rebate ($235 total cost).

I will check the availability of the lift and post my findings.... thanks again

glenn bradley
11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Glenn, wait until those threads get gummed up with dust...that screw gun will be crying and I hope it quits before any cross-threading might result. Do you have the 32 tpi or 16 tpi PRL?

I've got the16tpi and with the lower cabinet DC it stays spooky-clean in there ;-) The little screw gun runs pretty slow. I have heard of folks doing this routine with a drill motor and having "incidents" :rolleyes:.

John Lucas
11-20-2008, 1:14 PM
Sorry to be so late with this. I am proud user of the new PRL Lift. The thumbwheel is what caught my eye. Fine adjustment is necessary no matter what lift you use...and the new PRL does that well. I installed it along with Woodpecker's large router table top.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/woodpk13.jpg

Here is the story...more pages coming soon. http://www.woodshopdemos.com/woodpk-rtrtab-1.htm

Scott Bastian
11-20-2008, 1:20 PM
Well thanks to this forum and your great help, I was able to order the Woodpecker PRL-V2 with the MS rebate and Ebay. Leroy at 'stuff to sell' on ebay was a great help and made it all happen.

I was told it will ship tomorrow from woodpecker and is available!

Thanks again.

Mike Goetzke
11-20-2008, 1:22 PM
Sorry to be so late with this. I am proud user of the new PRL Lift. The thumbwheel is what caught my eye. Fine adjustment is necessary no matter what lift you use...and the new PRL does that well. I installed it along with Woodpecker's large router table top.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/woodpk13.jpg

Here is the story...more pages coming soon. http://www.woodshopdemos.com/woodpk-rtrtab-1.htm

Now why didn't they make that thing gold to match their other accessories :confused:

Randal Stevenson
11-20-2008, 1:57 PM
Now why didn't they make that thing gold to match their other accessories :confused:

Probably, just to make it easy for people to identify which version they had.

I am kind of surprised they didn't make it red like the rings, but it probably cost more.

Chris Padilla
11-20-2008, 2:55 PM
The silver stays flatter over time than the gold....

kidding.... ;)

Brian Effinger
11-20-2008, 3:56 PM
Thanks for the review, John. It was nice to see it in action. And Scott, if your's is getting shipped tomorrow, then I think I'll send him an email tonight asking for a shipping date. Waiting for this thing has been like waiting for Christmas.