PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Steel???

Mike Kelly
05-25-2004, 9:38 AM
Does anyone know someone with a blaster big enough to cut 18 ga. steel? (.048"). Attached are pictures of a wind mobile that has been laser cut. It is about 10.5" across with a lot of concentric cutouts. I would like to make large quantities of this with a few variations. 500 to 1000 per month. I have AutoCAD drawings of the object.

Charles McKinley
05-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Mike,

Are you looking to buy or rent time?

I don't know what size lazes you would need but plasma arc or water jet would work. You would have to talk to the dealer about the plasma arc to see about the closnes of the starts that they would not connect. This should be able to be controlled by the size of the tip. I'll look for their website. We just bought a heavier on for steel construction. Ours will cut 3/8" plate. The best thing about your need is the smaller the unit the less it cost. You will need a torch that will fit in a CNC controller. I know that Shopbot has a burn table setup.

No affialiation to any companies mentioned.

I hope this hepls

Mike Kelly
05-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks Charles. I talked to a friend that has a water jet and he could cut it cleaner, but it would be slower than a laser. I don't think a plasma cutter would do this clean enough. I am familiar with the ShopBot setup.

Ray Thompson
05-25-2004, 7:03 PM
Call PDF Inc. in Brazil, IN. They have at least two metal cutting lasers and know how to use them. Great people to do business with and pretty good fishermen too. 812-443-6000 Tell them I sent you. Ray

Keith Outten
05-26-2004, 5:48 AM
Mike,

Cutting steel with a laser generally requires a Yag laser, the CO2 lasers that woodworkers are purchasing just don't have the power to cut steel...even thin sheet metal.

Ray Thompson
05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Most of the metal cutting lasers I am aware of are CO2, YAG's have to be in an enclosed room because of the dangers envolved. Most of the folks I know have CO2's up to about 2000 watts. The caveat to all this is I have not had anything cut in 6 or 7 years so the info is about that old. Ray

Mike Kelly
05-28-2004, 8:34 AM
Thanks Ray and Kieth. I know it takes a LOT more power. Thanks for the ref.

Kevin Arceneaux
06-11-2004, 3:38 PM
Begnaud Manufactoring in Lafayette, LA 337-237-5069

Donald has three (IIRC) laser cutters. He also does a lot of small job and since you have the CAD drawings already, it may not be too costly. His wife and them do yard figures, when they can get time on the cutters.

BTW, Donald is my cousin.