PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Question

John Pennisi
10-29-2008, 1:20 PM
Excuse the lack of knowledge, but what better a reason to start a thread!

I'm planning to buy a bandsaw in the near future. I've had my eye on the Powermatic 14" for a long time and love the added features like the large table, the included light, the high quality, etc. If I were sure I wanted a 14" bandsaw I think my mind would be made up.

However my dilemma is whether I should go for a bigger saw (18"). I have not done much resawing but do want the capability to do it in the future. I could get the riser blocks for the 14" and go that route, but I just don't want to regret not having a bigger bandsaw if at some point I realize that I want to resaw larger pieces.

Also, if I made the decision to get an 18" then (again, feel as though I should already know this) what would be some reasons to also have a 14" bandsaw? I see so many woodworkers with both size bandsaws. Is it that you can't put smaller blade on a larger bandsaw and therefore can't make cuts with sharper curves, etc.?

Thanks for any and all replies!:)

John

Michael N Taylor
10-29-2008, 1:47 PM
I just purchased a Grizzly G0153x2 and I love it, plenty of power and 12" resaw plus it comes with the resaw fence.

Jason Beam
10-29-2008, 1:53 PM
Generally, you can put a small blade on a big saw, so that's not usually a problem. You can do small stuff with a big saw - but big stuff on a small saw is always tougher.

I have a 14" Jet and I just pulled the trigger on a 17" Grizzly G0513x2 this past weekend. I chose this route mostly because I wanted the taller resaw height. Buying the riser block may have been cheaper, but the 14" jet's motor probably wouldn't be very happy with 12" of wood going into it. I can bog it down with 6" if I'm not One-Notch-Below-Patient with it. It'd only get worse with thicker. Even with the appropriate blade, I don't think I'd have been happy with the riser block. I never anticipated needing to saw that thickly when I bought it, but my hobby has evolved such that it's pretty needed now.

The reason I'm considering keeping the 14" saw, though, is because I'm lazy. I would keep a thin blade on it and a big beefy resaw blade on the 17". Then I wouldn't have to change blades for the different process I perform. :)

Bruce Gray
10-29-2008, 1:59 PM
I have two: a 14"/1HP and a big 21"/3HP. The 14" will do some resawing, but it's really underpowered for any wide stock, and the 21" will take blades down to 1/4". To me, the real reason for both is to avoid the hassle of blade changes. I generally keep a .25"-6TPI blade on the 14" saw, and a 1"-3TPI blade on the larger saw. That way, for 95% of the cuts that I make, there is no need for a blade change.

For a similar reason, I have two table saws, each acting as an outfeed table for the other. I have to admit that this is over-kill, but for the question of two bandsaws, I really need both. Of course, when it comes to tools, need and want become synonymous :)

Michael Faurot
10-29-2008, 2:28 PM
I see so many woodworkers with both size bandsaws. Is it that you can't put smaller blade on a larger bandsaw and therefore can't make cuts with sharper curves, etc.?

I have two (a 14" and a 9") bandsaws. The reason I have two is because changing blades can often be a tedious process, especially if you're changing from something like a 1/2" blade to a 1/4". In situations like this, I'm not just changing the blade, I also have to reset all the guide bearings, thrust bearings, rework the tension, tracking, etc. So it became more convenient to have the larger saw set-up for doing straight cuts and resaw work with a 1/2" 3TPI blade and the smaller saw with a 1/8" or 1/4" blade for doing curved work and other small stuff.

John Bailey
10-29-2008, 3:20 PM
First, although I've not used the Powermatic 14", it sure is a beauty and is probably one of the best, if not the best out there. Second, if you're going to spend that much, a larger bandsaw is going to do a lot more for you. Third, I think most who have a 14" along with a bigger band saw do it for convenience. Changing blades all the time is a pain. I think most, if not all, larger band saws can handle small blades, but you still have to change blades if you only have one saw. I leave a 1/4" blade on the machine and use it for everything, even some resawing. If I'm going to do a lot of straight cutting I'll change to 1/2" blade.

In general, I think you'll, at some time, want a bigger band so it might be the time to get it now.

John

Prashun Patel
10-29-2008, 3:35 PM
I'd wager that a lot of people have a 14" and a larger saw because they bought the 14" first and then upgraded, and didn't need to part with the smaller saw. What became convenience is now necessity.

Personally, if I had the cash, I'd buy the bigger saw. Any leftover $$ would be (IMHO) much better suited to other tools than a 2nd bandsaw simply for the convenience of blade changes.

Kirk Poore
10-29-2008, 3:37 PM
John:

How much resawing do you intend to do? I've found it to be overrated, frankly, unless you need material to do veneers. I hate the waste of planing a thick board down, but I don't have to do it on enough material to make the extra setup time worthwhile (i.e., if I'm going to resaw just one board, it ain't worth it and I just use the planer).

I have a 30" bandsaw, and keep a 1/4" blade on it 90% of the time. The great part is not the resaw capacity, it's the ability to saw almost anything without having to work around the casting. I routinely cut 18" wide 8/4 boards into curved chair legs, and the big capacity lets me do that without having to monkey around with layout and board direction.

I'd say get the biggest saw you can afford and have room for. In fact, I'd do some searching and try to find an old 20" Delta or Powermatic. They're out there, they're (relatively) cheap, and they'll do all you ask.

Kirk

Brent Ring
10-29-2008, 3:38 PM
I have a PM 141 (14") and while I love it, I wished I had purchased bigger. I have been doing a bit of resawing and all I can accomodate is 6".

That is the only reason I have found to go bigger. The PM does everything else I have asked it without complaint.

John Pennisi
10-29-2008, 4:47 PM
Brent have you considered investing in the riser kit for your 14" PM? Do you think with that you'd be satisfied or would you like the extra clearance when cutting curves, etc.?

I just checked out the Jet 16" bandsaw which Tom Hintz gives a nice review of at his website. Anyone with input on this saw? It has a resaw capacity of 10" and a 1.5 HP motor, retailing for just under $1100 according to the review.

Thanks for all the help; I'm still debating..

Chris Padilla
10-29-2008, 5:18 PM
I'm of the adage to go bigger if you can stomach it. I have a 20" Minimax bandsaw that I picked up used a few years ago for around 2k. Yeah, that is kinda pricey but I'm betting that I won't need to worry about a bandsaw upgrade...uh, EVER. I can resaw 16" and the 4.2 HP motor doesn't bog down a lick so far.

I've really gotten into veneering as the wifey's taste is for thick looking furniture and we'd surely go broke using solid lumber for all her designs.

John Thompson
10-29-2008, 5:25 PM
As Shawn said.. had a smaller for many years and up-grade to 18" which will run small blades but.. not as well IMO with the larger guides. Thought about selling the smaller but didn't as I keep a 1/4" on it for curves.. plastic.. etc. and a 3/4" bi-metal on the 18" for re-saw and rip.

Frankly.. I'm glad I didn't as having both has cut many steps changing blades as space was not a real issue for me.

Good luck...

Sarge..