PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic or Laguna Jointer

Jayme Donalson
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I need some advice. I would like to buy my husband a jointer and I am looking at the Powermatic 16" with helical cutterheads or the Laguna 16", but it looks like it has insert knives. Does anyone know about the Laguna? He has their bandsaw and loves it... Could you give me any advise as to which one he would like? Thank you in advance.

Jayme

Doug Shepard
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Wish I could help. But it sure does bring a tear when some nice gal wants to buy her guy a brand new top of the line tool. Got a sister?

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't know which Brand he'd prefer but I can tell you that Powermatic has a hell of a good reputation and Laguna's suffers from absolutely ZERO tech service.

And a true helical cutterhead is hard to beat.

I'd get the PM every time over laguna.

If you feel like it I'd like the MM-16 band saw for X-mass.
Oh and the Extrema wide belt sander please.

Joe Jensen
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Jayme, what a nice gift. I have a Laguna bandsaw and I'm very happy with it, but I have to agree with Cliff. Nearly every post about Laguna service and support is very negative, and nearly all posts about Powermatic service and support is very positive. Also, the helical cutterhead is very desireable...joe

Rod Sheridan
10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Jayme, If I were looking for a 16" jointer, I would purchase the Felder A741.

If you do a quick web search you'll find it.

The Felder is about $9,000, and there are several cutterhead choices, as well as many other options.

Felder has an outstanding reputation for precision and performance, the machines are made in Austria, and their field service people are excellent.

Regards, Rod.

Thomas S Stockton
10-29-2008, 1:22 PM
I have the 12" version of that jointer mine is made by Griggio and I believe that one is also. It is a great machine and a joy to use. The Tersa knives leave a great tear out free surface and only take minutes to change. Here is another source for that jointer so you can compare prices www.andreoumachinery.com/jointers2.htm. I would also look at mini-max they have a nice 16" jointer as well.
Tom

guy knight
10-29-2008, 3:45 PM
i would go the pm good reputation and good customer service laguna has terrible customer service

Adam Grills
10-29-2008, 4:33 PM
I will disagree about Laguna's customer service. They have been top notch to me.

FYI Laguna has a true helical cutter head like Byrd but German made as a head option. If you are looking at the J16 or Signature series you cannot go wrong. Amazing machines! If you are looking at the Industrial series then you have many other companies with essentially the same machine to choose from.
Adam

Andy Casiello
10-29-2008, 5:15 PM
You can't go wrong with either one - they are both great machines. I'd go with the Powermatic, but he'll love either one. Wow, a 16" jointer. I'm happily married, so I don't need to know if you have a sister, but can I give you my wife's number? :D

Chris Padilla
10-29-2008, 5:44 PM
How about going a step further and getting a combo machine of jointer and planer? I have the Minimax FS-41Elite (16" J/P). Mine has a 3-knife Tersa cutterhead and blade changes are a snap and indexed so no alignment worries.

Jimmy Horrocks
10-29-2008, 8:11 PM
I've got the Laguna 12" jointer/planer with the spiral head..beautiful machine. Also have the Laguna 16" band saw...another great machine. By the way.. Have never had a problem with customer service at Laguna. (possibly because I've never had a problem with the machines) I'm a pro so they get used more than most.

The MM is a real nice machine as well...

The manuals are terrible, but then again, the manuals on the SCMI equipment I use at work (fed govt) are terrible too...Jimmy

Will Blick
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
> Got a sister?

Doug, thanks for the quote of the day!!

Jayme, you won our hearts :-) I would be moved by thought alone!

Dave Mura
10-30-2008, 1:50 PM
Can't go wrong with any of the two, but personally I'd go with Powermatic

BOB OLINGER
10-30-2008, 2:25 PM
Jayme,

That's a wonderful act and gift. Just a thought - if you can get by without the real machine, you could wrap up a copy of spec sheet on each along with a check, present to him, and let him decide.

C Scott McDonald
10-30-2008, 6:58 PM
The powermatic 16" is 3 phase 220 volt only. You might need to check to make sure you have that in the shop.

I would vote for the PM myself

Thanks,
Scott

Peter Quinn
10-30-2008, 7:15 PM
Flip a coin, either way you win. That 16" Laguna uses insert knives, but they are in a "Shear-tec" head, the Laguna version of a spiral carbide index head. I believe the PM uses a Byrd shelix head, same idea, though I know nothing about Laguna's version as far as performance. Powermatic service has been great for the tools I own from them the few times I have needed it; very reliable tools generally speaking. Laguna has also done right by me, just not as responsive as powermatic.

If the Laguna is in fact a Griggio, which much of their machinery is, I can tell you that I helped set up a Griggio panel saw this week, and it is an incredibly fine piece of equipment. The powermatic is first rate too, jointers are one of the things they do best, I have used several. Do check with Andreou Machinery for pricing on Griggio equipment as well as Laguna. The Griggio machinery in the shop I work in came from Andreou and all involved seemed pleased with their transaction. We also got a 20" jointer from them.

Do be sure your husbands shop has the power supply to meet the demands of the machine you buy. You can probably get either with a single or three phase motor, or he can get a phase convertor if necessary at some additional cost, not really a big deal on a purchase this big.

So, how dod you know he wanted a 16" jointer? Do you know a lot about machines, or are you just really tuned into his needs? Would you be able to speak to my wife about my need for a 9' Felder sliding table saw?