PDA

View Full Version : Photograv request

Allan Wright
10-29-2008, 9:49 AM
I use my laser for cutting balsa for model airplane kits I sell. I do the occasional engraving job, but these are always plaques for contests which are just logos and text which I create in Corel.

I've been asked by my supervisor to engrave a dedication plaque for my retiring boss with a photo of my boss on it. Could I impose on a fellow creeker to do the photograv conversion for me? I'd be happy to pay you for your time via paypal or credit card.

I've attached the photo to this post. If you're willing to do the conversion please reply and let me know how much to send you (and how) for your time.

thanks a ton, you'll be helping be honor a really great man at his retirement party. The plaque will actually be permanently hung in our building.

Thanks again,
Allan Wright

Darren Null
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Could have stood being bigger. Photograv 2.11

Frank Corker
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I have sent you a 'Private Message'

james burchfield
10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
i tried to convert it in photograv and this is how it came out it looks horrible any idea what im doing wrong i used the pic that was requested to be converted

Darren Null
10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Another go. Resampled to 300dpi. Looks awful,but will engrave OK. Needs some cleaning around the edges, but I shall leave that as an exercise for the student (read- too lazy).

Frank Corker
10-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Actually James it turned out fine, what are you worrying about? The biggest problem here is that Allan hasn't explained what he is intending to engrave it on. What dpi he intends to engrave and what size he intends to engrave it. You could run it through photograv a thousand times and if that background is not the correct colour, or the image is the wrong size for the intended media, you'd be wasting your time. Remember that it cannot be resized once it has been through photograv. If he has chosen a light material or a dark material then the background would be most important to the conversion. (Which is what I have pm him).

Frank Corker
10-29-2008, 12:19 PM
The problems that are noticeable in both the efforts that Darren has done and James is not of their doing, it's the original image. What appears to be black isn't all black, which is why you have that white rash in parts of the picture. I also think that if it's engraved as it is, then there will be a harsh edge around it. Like it or not, an image which has a harsh edge going around it will look like it is a picture which has been cut out with scissors and stuck on. Sometimes you can get away with it, but it wouldn't be from me!

Allan Wright
10-29-2008, 3:08 PM
I've probably done a poor job of cropping his head out of the very busy original. I've sent Frank a copy of the original. I believe his skills far exceed mine in the area of photo manipulation. I'm just a CAD Jockey :-)

Thanks to EVERYONE! Creek Rules as always.

Al

Allan Wright
02-06-2009, 9:25 AM
I wanted to post the final results of this project. We just dedicated our computer room to my retiring boss. He was BLOWN AWAY by the plaque, and I owe a HUGE thanks to Frank who worked very hard to help me over several days about a month ago.

The oak plaque was made by a co-worker, and I decided in the end to go with the photo inlaid using LaserMax plastic to increase the contrast. I actually used the laser to 'rout' out the inlay area in the oak. I'm just a dumb airplane designer who doesn't normally make plaques, or do any engraving at all, but in the end with Frank's patient help the project came out pretty nicely for my first plaque.

Frank, and other Creekers who helped me - youz guyz are da best!

Thanks again,
Allan

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 9:48 AM
Allan,

That turned out beautifully! I like the inlaid Lasermax. Did you color fill the text?

I agree......Frank is great.

Frank Corker
02-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Well done Allan, no wonder he was happy, great job.

Allan Wright
02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Allan,

That turned out beautifully! I like the inlaid Lasermax. Did you color fill the text?

I agree......Frank is great.

Nothing is filled, although I did go over the text on the wood with a 2nd low-power pass to 'toast' the bottom of the characters. They're also fairly deep which gives a good shadow effect. I'm not sure the 2nd pass was necessary, but like I said, I'm still learning engraving. 99% of what I do with the laser for my primary use (model airplane kits) is cutting.

Scott Shepherd
02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Frank really did an exceptional job, he even changed the guys shirt from the first photo given :) Well done Frank ;)

And nice work Allan :)

Allan Wright
02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Frank really did an exceptional job, he even changed the guys shirt from the first photo given

That's how GOOD he is!

Steve Clarkson
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Frank....I need a whole new wardrobe.....can you help me out?

Frank Corker
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
What size blouse do you take?

John W. Love
02-06-2009, 7:44 PM
Frank really did an exceptional job, he even changed the guys shirt from the first photo given :) Well done Frank ;)

And nice work Allan :)

And that is why we all bow to Frank! Excellent job Fran and Alan, it looks Awesome!