PDA

View Full Version : bench in progress photos

Tom Lauder
10-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Evening all

While I'm not in the same league as some of the very fine benches shown here, I thought I would post some pics just to encourage those among us a little newer to the fold. I would love a fine hardwood bench one day but currently skills and funds mean that its only a dream.

This bench is based on a Tom Caspar design from Popular Woodworking some years ago. I have used 3/4" osb for the panels and 2x4s for the frame. It weighs a fair amount and it is definately not going to rack.

For the top I propose to laminate up 2 panels 12" wide of 4 layers of 3/4" mdf wrapped in some kind of hardwood if I can find some cheap enough. I intend to have a removable/reversible central tool well.

The best part so far is that I have only had to buy the screws glue and allthread. All the timber is salvaged from the houses being framed around me at the moment.

Be gentle with me.

Thanks

Tom

Alan DuBoff
10-29-2008, 1:24 AM
Tom,

Looks good!

That will be solid with the top on it that you describe.

I would think about doing it in one section, it sounds like you might be putting a tool tray down the center? If not, just laminate the MDF one layer at a time. I would glue and drive drywall screws into it to keep it secure.

Putting a layer of hardboard works well, you can replace it easily and the hardboard is pretty durable, more so than the MDF. If you have the hardwood available, certainly go with that, can't beat hardwood, but hardboard is not too bad of an alternative, IMO.

John Thompson
10-29-2008, 9:42 AM
The key word IMO was stated by you.. it's not going to rack. I have built about 24 WB's over 38 years. Some for me that ended up in the hands of another when I decided to do another one... some custom built for others and some as gifts as in BIL.. etc. I've used maple.. hickory.. beech.. on some of those but the last five have all basically been the same.

Doug fir base with southern yellow pine top. I built a new top about 9 months ago for around $25. I wouldn't be so envious of a hard-wood top as it will move like any other wood and you have to flatten it every so often. Just put a non racking base under a top that is flat and you have all you really need IMO.. as a work-bench can be built to work on as intended or as a show-piece. Both are find as long as they fill the initial need of... too work on.

Regards...

Sarge..

Joe Cunningham
10-29-2008, 9:57 AM
Looks like a good start to me! My first bench is going to be somewhat similar (but smaller). More like an assembly bench rather than a workbench, but I figure it will be a good start.

I'm using doug fir studs for the frame and a semi-torsion box top with 1/2" plywood. I picked through the rack at the local HD, and found some pretty clear and straight 2x4s. Started dimensioning the studs with my hand planes yesterday.