PDA

View Full Version : TurnCrafterProTM Midi Lathe vs ???

Billy Tallant
10-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm interested in getting into turning pens. I'm on a very limited budget at this time. So I cannot afford to invest in a more costly lathe at this time. Is anyone familiar with the TurnCrafterPro midi lathe? Pros/Cons on it. The Jet seems nice but price is a little pricey for me at this time. I have not been able to locate a good used one yet. The Rikon seems ok also...

Bill Blasic
10-29-2008, 6:03 AM
Billy,
That lathe would probably do you fine. If you have a Rockler near you they have one like that that is usually on sale for $50 less. Also check out the Steel City 10" VS at Redmond Machinery for $249. Lots of choices out there.

Jim Becker
10-29-2008, 7:47 AM
Billy, welcome to SMC.

Pen turning isn't too demanding on the machine, frankly, and as long as it runs smooth and has true alignment between the centers, you're good to go...as long as it will work with the regular and required accessories, such as the pen mandrel that matches the pen/pencil kits you intend to use. If it has any kind of non-standard spindle threading or lacks a standard taper, then it's more of an issue.

Don't forget the used market, too...a name-brand mini/midi lathe off Craig's List or something like that is also a good option if you can find one.

Wayne Bitting
10-29-2008, 8:01 AM
Hi Billy - I have the VS model and its a very good lathe. I'm glad that I bought this version over a Jet just so that I would have extra cash for the rest of the stuff needed to turn pens when I started out. I've turned over 500 pens on it, close to 50 pepper mills and a pile of other things over the past two years on it. Amazon is offering the standard model for $188 and the VS for $246, with free shipping. Welcome to the Creek and keep us posted with pics!

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Welcome Billy. There are a lot of people who have that lathe. My neighbor has one and loves it. He got the VS model.

Frank Sornson
10-29-2008, 2:28 PM
For the same price I would pick up the Steel City. It has a slower speed at the bottom end (500 vs. 650), and has a 5 year warranty. I have one, and it is great.

Jamie Cowan
10-29-2008, 3:18 PM
I vote Steel City, too. Just wore out the belt, they are sending me another, and the only question asked was "where do we ship it to?" I don't know anything about the other lathe, and I'm sure it is a good product, but I do know about Steel City.

Billy Tallant
11-01-2008, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the replys...I've got to make my mind up now.

Billy