PDA

View Full Version : If I may. One last jointer question.

Kent E. Matthew
10-29-2008, 12:05 AM
I have narrowed my selection between two machines. Which would you choose?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/880858978.html

Or...

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/879764489.html

Any thoughts to help with my decision. Thanks in advance.

Ben Martin
10-29-2008, 12:15 AM
I would say the Powermatic, but that seller has absolutely no clue what he is talking about...

Green is the color code for nothing, but means it was made around the late 70's. I am currently restoring a 1977 PM60 and it was the same green with the stripe. If you look into a little more on OWWM you will find the years that was made. Ask him for the serial number, that will correspond to the year it was made. IE. for example my PM60 is 794... which means 1977.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-29-2008, 1:33 AM
I vote Powermatic too. Take anything that seller tells you and verify it before you believe it though, as Ben said. The Delta is a nice machine too.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-29-2008, 7:11 AM
They are both nice.

I would lean towards the Delta because of the parallelogram table height adjustment. This type of adjustment lends itself better to shimming (if necessary) over the sliding gib design. However, this is a very minor point.

I don't know about the Powermatics' original cost, but the Delta DJ-15 was selling new for about $1,100 around 15 years ago.

-Jeff :)

Pete Bradley
10-29-2008, 8:31 AM
I think the asking prices are steep, but I'd prefer the PM.

Pete

Kent E. Matthew
10-29-2008, 9:43 AM
These two machines have been up for awhile. The Delta price started out at 600. I am beginning to lean toward the Delta as well. Just because it is much closer of a drive to pick it up. The longer bed, and I did not know it was a parallelogram table.

The Powermatic pluses are...well its a Powermatic. This jointer seems to be in excellent condition. The smaller table might be better for my smallish shop.

I have to decide by Friday.

Alex Shanku
10-29-2008, 9:45 AM
I have that same Powermatic. Great, small, jointer.

I paid about $100 less for mine. Yours looks to be in better condition than mine was when I acquired it.

Matt Meiser
10-29-2008, 9:49 AM
I have the same Powermatic but a little older. Mine probably cost that once I was done restoring it. It is a very well built machine. They are such basic machines, there's not much that can go wrong.

John Thompson
10-29-2008, 9:56 AM
I would go with longer bed if.. if both are in excellent condition. Or you could get a 6" Grizzly or Sunhill for the same price new with warranty. Another $250 saved gets an 8" with much longer bed. Options.. options.. options....

If the gentleman paid $2500 for the PM new... he got shafted IMO, but sometbing is worth what someone is willing to pay. :)

Sarge..

Matt Day
10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I think I got my old Delta 6" for about $400-$450 brand new after some rebates, so keep that in mind.

And also, you may be settled on a 6" for certain reasons, but if not you should seriously consider an 8".