PDA

View Full Version : A Mighty Winds a Blowin'

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Ken Fitzgerald posted a message about the show at the University of Idaho; I was very honored to be invited. Here is my entry, “A Mighty Winds a Blowin”. It’s sandblasted redwood, about 24” tall, with a granite base. The mobius shape was constructed using stave-constructed, bowl-turned components, both ½ bowls and ¼ bowls. It was my attempt at making a statement about the current political changes that are under way in our country.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Malcolm,

With all due respect Sir........Your photos don't do that piece justice! I found it incredible!

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Beautiful piece Malcolm! Really like all the contortions and their ever changing directions but love the texture! As always - the imagination is amazing! Thanks for posting!

Christopher Fletcher
10-29-2008, 12:52 AM
I love the addition of texture illustrating the möbius band. Your statement is an interesting sentiment that certainly gives pause.

On another note, somewhat related, how would you go about constructing a klein bottle model?

Bill Blasic
10-29-2008, 5:49 AM
Awesome Malcom, simply awesome!

Jeff Nicol
10-29-2008, 6:26 AM
Malcom, Your artistry is inspired! Simply magnificant!

Jeff

Gary Herrmann
10-29-2008, 7:36 AM
Wow, Malcolm. Speechless. Looking at your art this morning worked better than caffeine.

Can you email me a pic of your art every morning? Probably healthier for me in the long run...

Jim Becker
10-29-2008, 7:43 AM
Very interesting piece, Malcolm. That little black trace that follows the mobius adds some "life" to it, too.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2008, 8:21 AM
Jim,

Malcolm will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.....the little black trace are openings and you are seeing the photo background used when taking the picture. I don't know if they would have let me take photos in the gallery. I didn't think to take a camera and it wouldn't have done the art pieces justice anyway.

Jim Becker
10-29-2008, 9:28 AM
Could be, Ken...I can't really tell from the photos. But whatever is producing it, it's a very nice effect!

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Could be, Ken...I can't really tell from the photos. But whatever is producing it, it's a very nice effect!

Jim, as Ken said, the "black" that you see is the background. The redwood is fairly thin in the middle portion and completely gone in many places.

Everyone, thanks for the comments.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2008, 12:38 PM
That is beautiful Malcolm.