PDA

View Full Version : Typical Cherry Bowl

Terry Achey
10-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Compared to the work I view in this forum, nothing fancy about this bowl. But, as a true novice, I was elated that I was able to turn a 9" x3" bowl that didn't end up with any "curing" cracks after the DNA bath. Only my sixth bowl and by now I think one lesson learned was making sure I turned far enough below the pith when roughing out. Or, as Bill Grumbine would say... Be sure to turn the pith out of it ;). I also tried wire burning for the first time. I liked it. Comments / suggestions always welcome.

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Beautiful bowl Terry. Great looking wood. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2008, 12:04 AM
Terry.....beautiful bowl.....I really like your rim treatment and the burned lines are just the right amount of embellishment! Nicely done!

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Very nice work Terry! Love working with cherry! Smells great, holds great detail and takes a great finish! Your bowl has a nice classic form and the burn lines add just a touch of decoration! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more!

Christopher Fletcher
10-29-2008, 12:55 AM
I do love cherry. Such a simple and yet beautiful wood. I wish I had a source for it down here in San Diego. Very nice, Terry!

David Walser
10-29-2008, 2:02 AM
Terry,

You're going to have to drop the "novice" label. That's not a novice level bowl! Very well done. A smooth, consistent, curve, combined with simple, yet elegant embellishment, yields a very nice design. Add in the beautiful cherry and great finish, and you've got a very nice bowl that's going to be handed down for generations. Great job!

Don Eddard
10-29-2008, 4:22 AM
Nice job. You have good reason to like it. That cherry will look nice and rich over time, too.

Jeff Nicol
10-29-2008, 6:30 AM
Terry, I also love cherry wood, as it darkens over time it even gets better! Love the finish and the simple beauty of the bowl.

Keep them coming!

Jeff

Jim Becker
10-29-2008, 7:44 AM
Terry, there is nothing more pleasing than a well-executed "bowl's bowl". Nice work!

Don Orr
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
That is a truly beautiful bowl Terry. Hard to believe only your 6th. They don't get any better than this. Excellent in every way.

I don't post or comment much. but when I see something that really stands out, I just have to give credit where it's due.

Very well done!

Bob Hallowell
10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Very nice Terry, where at in Pa you located. Always lookingfor turners in my area.

Bob

Mike Vickery
10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Terry that is a very nice bowl especially for someone who considers them selves a novice.

Since you asked for suggestions I will give you a couple, but please be assured this is a very nice piece and if I did not think it was very close to being outstanding I just would not have commented.

It could be the picture but it looks to me like you broke you curve very slightly both at the base of the piece and at a the rim. If the break in the curve was more pronounced at the rim it could be a design feature but with how slight it is it just looks a little off to me. It could just be the picture makes it look that way to me.

The burn lines look like they are to far apart to me. Specifically the distance betwean the two burn lines and the distance betwean the top line and the rim of the bowl are almost the same distance and usually I feal that distracts peoples eye. Somewher ein the back of their brain they are trying to compare the distances instead of just enjoying the beauty of the piece.

Take this with a grain of salt, I am by no means and expert in turning or design.

Terry Achey
10-29-2008, 2:33 PM
Thanks much to all for the feedback.

Bob, I'm located in South Central PA, but I do have cabin in Ridgway which is just "up the road" from you.

Mike, I appreciate your suggestions. I will certainly consider the spacing ratio of the lines on my next attempt at burning. As for the break at the rim, it is intentional. I wanted to add just a little more interest along with the burn lines. If there is in fact a slight break at the base of the bowl it wasn't intentional.

While not for every piece, wire burning was fun and very easy to do. BTW - some wood smells alot better than others when smoking hot :eek:.

Thank you all again for the feedback.
Terry

Richard Madison
10-29-2008, 9:03 PM
Terry,
I think the break at the rim is ok, but just doesn't flow smoothly into the rest of the bowl. Makes it look like there is a "lump" near the upper burn line.

That said, it is a beautiful piece. I like the sloped rim and the burn lines, and would like to know what item/material and size you used to do the burn lines. I like the width of your lines, as mine tend to be too thin.

Terry Achey
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Richard,

I purchased the bowl wires from Woodcraft. Comes in a set of three with different gauges. Has color-coded wooden balls attahced to about a 14" section of wire. I used the medium gauge wire for this. Very easy to hold with the balls attached.

Appreciate your feedback.
Terry