PDA

View Full Version : Are all TP rolls the same size?

Perry Holbrook
10-28-2008, 9:07 PM
I'm designing new toilet paper holders for our master bath. I know I'm over engineering it, but that's what I do. Anyway, does anybody know if all the cardboard tubes are the same size from brand to brand?

Thanks
Perry

Tom Veatch
10-28-2008, 9:25 PM
I've never paid that much attention, but I've never noticed any significant difference either in length or diameter of the cardboard center tube. I have noticed that the overall diameter of the full roll varies somewhat.

David DeCristoforo
10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
The tubes are "standard" (ID/Length) The OD of the full rolls is not. Same with paper towels. Make you fixture to accommodate the largest roll you can find.

Tom Wilson66
10-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Why not measure the size of the holder you already have? The manufacturers of these have already done the sizing thing for you.

David DeCristoforo
10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
"Why not measure the size of the holder you already have?"

See? That's what really bugs me about this forum. Always someone being logical. Where's the fun in that? ;)

glenn bradley
10-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Curse those evil logiticians and their magic voodoo!

Perry Holbrook
10-29-2008, 7:31 AM
Why not measure the size of the holder you already have? The manufacturers of these have already done the sizing thing for you.

Because I'm not trying to reproduce current designs, lets just say it will be non-conventional. I've measured the tube diameter and just want to know if I design for this one will other brands be the same.

Perry

Matt Ocel
10-29-2008, 7:39 AM
I know that every once and a while we get the "double roll" which has a bigger diameter and for the first part of the roll it doesn't roll off the dispencer freely.

To answer your Q. The cardboard tubes are the same, but theres more paper on some making the roll larger.

Al Willits
10-29-2008, 8:19 AM
Measuring may not work, our older fixture will hold the standard size roll but the newer larger diameter ones won't fit.

Try a few of the newer/bigger/larger/more ply rolls and find the biggest one you can, add a bit and go fer it.. :)

Seems tube lenght and size are pretty constant, although I've never spent much time measuring them.....

Al

Justin Leiwig
10-29-2008, 8:42 AM
As I do some of my best thinking while on the throne, The cardboard tubes are industry standard size. I've often sat there pondering why if they all make the tube the same size is the roller thingy always so much smaller. If the tube gets crushed the TP flops around like a tire with a nail in it. It really ruins the whole zen experience sometimes :)

Clifford Mescher
10-29-2008, 9:05 AM
How much would it really cost to buy a few brands and measure them? Clifford

Sean Troy
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
If the tube gets crushed the TP flops around like a tire with a nail in it. It really ruins the whole zen experience sometimes :)
Now thats funny. When I can get off the floor and stop laughing, I'll go back out to the shop and try and get some work done. I got to stop reading these posts while I take a break. i'll never get any work done. :)

John Schreiber
10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
As I do some of my best thinking while on the throne, The cardboard tubes are industry standard size. I've often sat there pondering why if they all make the tube the same size is the roller thingy always so much smaller. If the tube gets crushed the TP flops around like a tire with a nail in it. It really ruins the whole zen experience sometimes :)
I'd laugh at what a crazy guy you are, if I didn't do the same thing.

David DeCristoforo
10-29-2008, 7:19 PM
"... why if they all make the tube the same size is the roller thingy always so much smaller..."

This was an intentional design element. It was universally agreed upon so that the roll will make that "tunka tunka" sound as one pulled paper off. This serves as a "heads up" to the next person standing in line that they will not have to wait much longer. I thought everyone knew that.

Steve Vaughn
10-29-2008, 8:17 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Steve