PDA

View Full Version : I was absolutely humbled...........

Ken Fitzgerald
10-28-2008, 9:02 PM
I wasn't feeling too well this morning and had some vacation to burn....so I burned a day. Around noon I got to feeling better and needing some 8/4 kiln dried maple for a project I'm working on, I decided to kill 3 birds with one stone. I left the house, drove to a local bolt and chain store and bought some REAL 2" square-drive screws for use with my face plate.

Then up the infamous Lewiston Hill to Moscow, Idaho. I'd been told by a turner much more experienced and talented than I that the Pritchard Art Museum had a turning display going on and there were some noteworthy artists displaying their works there.

WOW!

I spent an hour walking around admiring about 40 pieces of art by a few names you might recognize.

Malcolm Tibbetts: A Mighty Winds A Blowin'
David Ellsworth: Homage Pot
Cindy Drozda: Seeds of Change
David Schweitzer: Spring Arrives
John Jordan: Walnut Vessel
BInh Pho: Once We Were Innocent

There were probably another 35 artists of similar talents but I was sure most would recognize these few. I was in awe! I stared and stared and tried to figure out how......and how they got the idea........

This was free......I walked in....enjoyed myself.....and it cost absolutely nothing.

Folks I encourage you to keep an eye out for these types of events and if one is in your area go see what the highly skilled can do. I'll be ordering Tibbett's book and Drozda's book this evening.

I think I'll go to the shop and sharpen my tools. And then.....if I decide to use them they are ready and if I decide to sell them on one of the auction sites I can advertise them as sharpened.

I don't know if I"m inspired or discouraged but I am in awe of true artists!

Oh yeah! I did buy the maple before I returned home.

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2008, 9:12 PM
Wow Ken - sounds like an absolutely wonderful way to spend some time! As far as inspiring or discouraging - I would have to think the word would be overwhelming! I firmly believe that with time, practice and use of vivid imagination we can get to a level of artistic accomplishment that at this point seems to be but a dream. None of the folks you mentioned started off at that advanced level - they worked hard to get there. To me - it is inspiring to know what can be done if a person wants it bad enough!

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Sounds like it was one heck of a nice day off!!!

Don Carter
10-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Ken:
Glad you are feeling better..Nice way to spend a day off.
I look at some of the work posted on this site and sometimes feel the same way you do. It makes me want to get in the shop and try something new. I am sure those sharp tools will make the next shop session start faster and go smoother.
Tomorrow is a new day and I am going to try to do something new or something old, better.;)

Don:)

Bernie Weishapl
10-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Ken good to talk with you this evening. Sounds like you had a great time today. Sometimes you just gotta do that. Looking at those people's turnings just make me more determined to get that good. Probably never will be but it is nice to dream. Don't forget Cindy Drozda's DVD Elegant Finials. Great DVD.

Malcolm Tibbetts
10-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Ken,
I'm glad that you had a chance to see the show. The gallery also produced a very nice catalog on the show. I was quite honored to be invited.

I'll see if I can post a photo of my entry.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Bernie,

I just ordered Cindy Drozda's "Elegent Finial Boxes". CSUSA didn't have it but Packards did.

Now I'm going after Malcolm's book.

Jim Becker
10-29-2008, 7:52 AM
Ken, that sounds like a wonderful show. I most certainly agree with you that folks keep their eyes open for such opportunities. There is nothing like seeing work like this up close and personal to inspire your mind. Photos never fully convey many of the subtleties that you can find with the piece before you.

One other thing...it's very common for these "name" turners to do demonstrations at local AAW chapter meetings. Whatever the donation is to join these groups is more than fully made up with the wonderful interactions that are possible. And there are almost universally folks in these organizations who do work that is incredible, even if you have never seen their name.