PDA

View Full Version : How do you "sign" things you make?

Lonny Meeks
10-28-2008, 8:02 PM
I am curious how most of you "sign" the items you make? I have seen printed stickers on the back, some engrave their business name. Some people don't want my name engraved on the product or the product design won't allow me room to do it.:confused:

James Rambo
10-28-2008, 9:12 PM
If they are made of wood I usually turn it over and engrave company name, address and phone number. If made of plastic I have stickers made from laserlights and I attach to the back.

p.s. I added the picture to show how I do them. sorry about the picture quality

Bill Cunningham
10-28-2008, 10:59 PM
If they are made of wood I usually turn it over and engrave company name, address and phone number. If made of plastic I have stickers made from laserlights and I attach to the back.

I usually do all of the above as well, but I usually do name badges in a sheet, then if it's not a reverse engraved badge, I flip it over and etch the business name and phone number into the back, below where the pin or magnet goes.. It's not obtrusive, and can be read it you 'look' at it.. With glass items, sometimes you just have to forgo the identification in the name of class... I remember when my wife and I got married, and the wedding photographer put a big ugly red rubber stamp with his name and phone number on the front of all the picture folders (not the pictures just the folder) which I thought was the height of poor taste.. I removed all the folders, and sent them back with a deduction from the payment.. Now, Every time I put My I.D. on something, this episode comes back to mind, and a lot of times I just leave off the 'sticker/whatever' in the name of good taste..
If it's really a good job, and the piece is complex enough to leave no room for a 'credit', then your customer will provide that info to anyone that asks, and 'thats' the best advertising there is..

Tim Bateson
10-28-2008, 11:52 PM
If possible, I engrave my logo on the back - but as stated earlier - if good taste allows. On commercial work, I sometimes offer discounts if the customer doesn't mind my logo 2-3x larger then normal. I have one regular business, that I practically give away dog tags as I take 1/3 of the tag for my logo - they do a lot of business, so my logo gets around. My customer saves money & I get exposed to an expanding client base.