PDA

View Full Version : Self-portrait

Jamie Buxton
10-28-2008, 2:39 PM
This is not an early Halloween pic. This is a shot of me in my shop yesterday. All the stuff on my head is in regular use in my shop, but I've never before worn it all at the same time. I'm surprised that I can get it all on my head at the same time without collisions among them.

I'm wearing:

Earplugs. I'm trying to preserve what hearing I have. They're custom, because one-size-fits-all doesn't.
Safety glasses. High-speed chips in the eye aren't good.
Respirator. I have good dust collection on my table saw, but the operation I was doing still threw a fair amount of dust into the air.
Binocular loupes. I wanted to control the saw very precisely. I can do it if I can see it.

Bill White
10-28-2008, 3:08 PM
and put it on the front porch. Scare the bejeebers out o' the kiddies. (snicker)
Bill

Joe Vincent
10-28-2008, 3:39 PM
Jamie: How well do those custom earplugs work vs. the basic earmuff type protection? About how much do they cost? Did you go to a local audiologist to get fitted?

Chris Padilla
10-28-2008, 4:11 PM
Whew! I'm just happy most o' yer uglee mug is hidden! ;)

:D

Happy Halloween!! ;)

Glenn Clabo
10-28-2008, 5:18 PM
http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/CartoonsMoviesTV/BugsLifeWallpaper800.jpg
Wanna fool around???

glenn bradley
10-28-2008, 5:40 PM
I have a similar get-up. I have Rx safety glasses so I can pass on the magnifiers but I wear muffs so the look, I'm sure, is similar. I'm OK with it if it helps me hold off on the hearing aids, cane and oxygen tank ;-))

Walt Caza
10-28-2008, 6:39 PM
Hi Jamie,
Sort of reminds me of Predator from that old movie.
I always remember the bravado of a line like,
'I aint got time to bleed'.

Way to take care of safety gear, me thinks you have it covered...
or rather, it seems to have you covered.
Boo,
Walt

Jamie Buxton
10-28-2008, 9:00 PM
Jamie: How well do those custom earplugs work vs. the basic earmuff type protection? About how much do they cost? Did you go to a local audiologist to get fitted?

As far as I can tell, these custom earplugs offer about the same sound rejection as the one-size-fits-all kind. However, on me, the one-size-fits-all kind falls out of one ear if I move my head too quickly. I bought these from an audiologist for about $50. He made them by stuffing rubber putty into my ears, and waiting for it to harden. That hardened rubber is the plugs.

Earmuffs can have more noise rejection. I have a pair of Peltor earmuffs which are now sold as Optime III. They offer significantly more noise rejection than any earplugs I've ever tried -- and I've tried a bunch.

Unfortunately, earmuffs don't work well with glasses.

Narayan Nayar
10-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I dunno, Jamie, that's the look I generally expect when I swing by for lunch. :)

Ben Franz
10-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Luke...I'm your father....Luke???

Wilbur Pan
10-29-2008, 9:15 AM
Honest to God, my first thought was "Tusken Raider".

I'm such a geek. Not just for coming up with the Star Wars reference, but for going immediately for a minor Star Wars character. ;)

Doug Shepard
10-29-2008, 9:42 AM
What? No bio-hazard suit?:D
I'd still give you some candy if you came knockin on Halloween though.

Prashun Patel
10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Man, you look like Buffallo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.

"It puts the lotion on itself, then puts the lotion in the basket!"

Shawn Honeychurch
10-29-2008, 7:20 PM

I'm such a geek. Not just for coming up with the Star Wars reference, but for going immediately for a minor Star Wars character. ;)

Minor character..., heck the tusken raiders were a lot more impressive than little namby pamby Luke. :D

mike holden
10-30-2008, 8:05 AM
One of the glaring problems I see, is a lack of side shields on the glasses. Or can I just not see them in the pic?

Was going to make a smart aleck remark about the lack of a hard hat, but the lack of side shields is a serious concern.

Mike

Mike Hess
10-30-2008, 8:55 AM

It's OK - I immediately thought "Star Wars" as well. :D