PDA

View Full Version : lumber storage

Daniel Thompson
10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
If you had the option of either storing lumber horizontally on wall mounted racks or vertically leaning against the wall which would you choose and why? In my new shop, I have enough space to use either method and am trying to decide.

Dewey Torres
10-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I have tried both and I like the wall mounted option much better as I kept having problems with bowing when I stored long items vertical.

Also , for space try to keep as much as you can off of the floor. This also makes it easier to clean up sawdust.

Jeff Duncan
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
In general I would much prefer storing lumber horizontally, but I keep it vertical. The problem is for stuff over 10' I have to cut it down to fit under the ceiling height. I just don't have the space to put it horizontal so not an option for me.
JeffD

Tony Bilello
10-28-2008, 5:05 PM
No doubt about it. Ever since I started storing vertical, I will never go back to horizontal. Much easier to shuffle boards around. With a vertical rack, its important that the boards be laying flat against the surface so they dont bow. Tilt your rack slightly backwards towards the wall.
As for lifting, picture this: You have a vertical 2 X 6 X 8' that must be moved around. You take the vertical stacked board and tilt forward till almost vertical. Lift it up by grabbing it at about the 5 to 6' height and move it. Now, compare that to the same board laying horizontal and move it.
Vertical plywood: Back up to the board. Grab it with your hands behind you and tilt it forward until it rests against your back. Bend your knees slightly and lift the board a few inches above the ground. Then walk it any where you want. Get to the final location and back up to the wall and push the board away from you. Try this before you reply, dont guess at what you think would be easier.
This is an important issue and should not be left to guessing.
One more thing, with vertical storage it's much easier to see what you got.

glenn bradley
10-28-2008, 5:14 PM
I'd prefer vertical. That's how my lumber yard does it. Much easier to get at what you're after. I only have an 8 - 9 foot ceiling and buy a lot of 10 - 16 foot boards so, on the wall it goes.

Tony Bilello
10-28-2008, 5:16 PM
I forgot the photos