PDA

View Full Version : Calling all laser Gurus LCD Screen on the fritz!?!?! HELP

Gabe Gat
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
:(
Need some help Laser Gurus! I have a 50W. ULS-50PS. When I fire up my laser and the display is acting up, the cursor (black rectangle to the right of the display) is running up and down the screen very quickly and the menu items are out of place (some are further over on the right then usual, some are repeated on more then one line) I can't escape or select anything. I ended up sending the LCD panel and board to ULS but they sent it back to me saying all was well and they couldn't duplicate the issue on their machine. I've tried turning the system on and off, as well as unplugging waiting and turning it back on. I've checked all my connections from the LCD to the machine, I've even removed them, waited an hour then plugged everything back in?! I've been racking my brain for any changes I might have made all I can think of is it's getting colder in my garage, I know LCD's and such can be effected by this type of thing, I put a thermometer in the garage over night it gave me a reading of 17C. this morning. My Laser is water cooled and that's set at 20C.
I can still test fire the laser as well as move the X,Y position so I know that works.

Any advice?

Mike Mackenzie
10-28-2008, 1:08 PM
Gabe,

Can you send a file to the system? If you can not it sounds like the LAS4 board. Have you tried to re-seat and clean the memory simm? check the cable connecting to the gold box.

Where are you located?

Gabe Gat
10-28-2008, 1:16 PM
I have tried all my connections, i'm pretty confident that they're good. That said I don't think i've tried re-seating my memory simms.... I would assume you're suggesting I pop out the memory sticks and pop them back in.
I haven't tried sending a job as I assumed it wouldn't help since my screen was going nuts ;) I'll try that tonight.
I'm located in Langley BC Canada (Vancouver basically) I don't happen to have a local ULS rep do I?

Dave Johnson29
10-28-2008, 1:45 PM
I have tried all my connections, i'm pretty confident that they're good.

Hi Gabe,

On the bright side it is not an intermittent fault. They can drive one nuts fast.

Leave the laser control running and go to an electronics supply store and look for a can of "Freeze" it is simply a spray can of Freon. Use the thin tube on the nozzle and when the the control is nice and warm, spray individual components and check the display to see what happens. Generally it should have no effect. When you hit the right one then that will almost certainly be the problem.

How you fix that is then up to your skills with a soldering iron and another trip back to the electronics store for parts. :) Might not be for the faint of heart if you do not have the right equipment to remove faulty parts though.

Gabe Gat
10-28-2008, 7:30 PM
I don't think i'm intrepid enough to take a soldering iron to the board. I've re-seated all four memory chips, took them out waited 10 minutes and reclipped, no luck?!
I'm going to hook up and see if I can in fact send a job to the laser regardless of the screen acting up I'll let everyone know... any other ideas?!

Gabe Gat
10-28-2008, 8:00 PM
oh and to answer an earlier question by Mike, It doesn't look like I can get a job to the laser, it just sits in the print que.

Mike Mackenzie
10-28-2008, 8:32 PM
Gabe,

It does sound like the LAS 4 board has some problems it could be a number of things. Try to call Stewart and see if he can help if not let me know and I will see if we have a board that we might be able to get to you to try.

I am not sure if we have a working board I will check tomorrow and let you know.