PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a finish nailer

Paul Steiner
10-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I have a Porter Cable 15 gauge finish nailer and it will no longer hold a charge to fire a nail. When I hook it up to the air line I get a small burst of air that goes through the gun and that is it. I think it is a seal but I am not sure. But here are my questions:
1. Have you fixed a nailer that had a similiar problem?
2. How hard is it to fix?
3. Have you had a nailer fixed PC repair center?
4. About how much did this cost, is it worth it or time to buy a new nailer?

William OConnell
10-28-2008, 10:37 AM
I have a Porter Cable 15 gauge finish nailer and it will no longer hold a charge to fire a nail. When I hook it up to the air line I get a small burst of air that goes through the gun and that is it. I think it is a seal but I am not sure. But here are my questions:
1. Have you fixed a nailer that had a similiar problem?
2. How hard is it to fix?
3. Have you had a nailer fixed PC repair center?
4. About how much did this cost, is it worth it or time to buy a new nailer?
Sometimes when it does that its just jammed. They are very easy to fix. and the kits are inexpensive.
I have alot of finish guns so when I'm busy I just drop them off for repair. New seals and driver usually cost around 50 bucks. Sometimes I drop one off and buy another while I'm there ;) which is how I have so many different brands. I'm a whats on sale guy

Peter Quinn
10-28-2008, 7:51 PM
My local seller has rebuild kits for PC and Senco, maybe a few other brands too. I have never rebuilt my PC, but if your sure its not jammed I'd guess its not tough. Kit looks like a few o-rings and seals to replace, not much more to it. Have you tried oiling it well? I had a bostich stapler that used to get cranky if it got a bit dry and exhibit symptoms like you describe, cleared right up with a few drops of oil in the inlet and a drop on the mechanism directly.