PDA

View Full Version : File offerings thwarted!

Dave Johnson29
10-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi people,

I may be the only one who does not have Corel X3 or X4 but when someone offers a file to the group, would it be possible to save it as a DXF or some other generic format.

I have found many useful sounding items with .CDR extensions that I would like to look at but my poor old struggling v10 spits them out as corrupted or other such puny comments.

Maybe another option would be to save it in an older format, say Corel 10 so anyone from 10 forwards can see it.

Thanks for allowing the whine.

Doug Griffith
10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't think DXF is what you want. Too many little line segments. How about EPS.

Joe Pelonio
10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
The forum will not accept eps files, and I agree that DXF causes problems for people with Corel. Perhaps a zipped eps or .ai file but then those have different versions that some people can't open too.

Dave Johnson29
10-28-2008, 1:47 PM
but then those have different versions that some people can't open too.

:mad: I am doomed !! ;)

Dave Fifield
10-28-2008, 3:06 PM
Yup! Bite the bullet and buy X3 or X4....your life will be much simpler afterwards..... :)

DF

Scott Erwin
10-28-2008, 3:42 PM
There is some discussion on this topic already, but traditionally the odd number versions of Draw are better than the even numbered ones....

Just food for thought...

Doug Griffith
10-28-2008, 6:01 PM
I'm an Illustrator user so don't know if Corel can handle this. What about PDF?

Bill Cunningham
10-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Corel will import a vector .pdf, but convert everything to curves before you publish to .pdf that way you can use whatever font you want without worrying if the person getting the .pdf has that font in their system.. What about the corel presentation exchange format .cmx will it cross versions?

Doug Griffith
10-29-2008, 10:47 AM
What about the corel presentation exchange format .cmx will it cross versions?

But that would still leave us Illustrator users in the cold!

Frank Corker
10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I have found many useful sounding items with .CDR extensions that I would like to look at but my poor old struggling v10 spits them out as corrupted or other such puny comments.

You could always ask someone to post them in version 10.

Dave Johnson29
10-29-2008, 12:17 PM
You could always ask someone to post them in version 10.

Hi Frank,

Yup, a good suggestion but I am learning so much so fast from the people on this group I feel I am already taking much more than I can give. I would feel a little embarrassed to ask for extra work from an individual.

If there was a general trend to upload from the earliest version their version of Corel offers then we could all see stuff.

I will check Amazon's used stuff to see if I can spring for something a little later.

Bob Cole
10-30-2008, 1:22 AM
There are quite a few posts asking for earlier versions. I don't think people mind doing that.

Mike Null
10-30-2008, 6:54 AM
Dave

Bob is right and it doesn't have to be the OP who saves it down to a lower version. Anybody who can open the file can do it. Just mention it and somebody will fix it for you in a flash.

Dave Johnson29
10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Bob is right and it doesn't have to be the OP who saves it down to a lower version. Anybody who can open the file can do it. Just mention it and somebody will fix it for you in a flash.

Thanks Bob and Mike, probably right and I will endeavor to do that, it just does not come as a first thought for me though. Actually now that I think of it I have seen the "send it to me and I will covert it," comment a few times now.

I believe pretty much everyone here is running a business whereas I am retired and time is not critical. I hate to suck time from someone that could be answering the door bell.

Mike Null
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Dave

That's very considerate of you but we have a lot of hobbyists here as well. Many of them are quite expert at what they do and can teach us all a lot about their techniques. Besides those of us who do this for a living need help too. It's all about give and take.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
10-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Too true Mike!

We would be just getting our heads to the surface of this sink or swim business without all the help form everyone on the creek. When we can contribute, we try. And to everyone reading, thanks for all the help. You may not even have known it!

Dave, always ask! I have found more times than not, people are always willing to help. On what degree, that's up to the individual, but they are still willing. Keep your chin up. Just because you are retired, doesn't mean you are any less important when it comes to running any type of business.

Bill Cunningham
10-30-2008, 9:32 PM
A window meta file .WMF is pretty well a cross platform/version vector file.. When exported from vector, it automatically converts all text to curves.. I ask for this format when someone who is trying to send me a file created in AI, but it soon becomes obvious they have no idea what 'curves, paths, or outlines are' It automatically
does it all for them...