PDA

View Full Version : Humbling Read

Dean Karavite
10-28-2008, 6:54 AM
Hello All,

Whether you are interested in music or pianos, I thought I would recommend an interesting book, "Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand" by James Barron. While mixing in a history of the company he follows the construction of a single piano through the entire factory. There is a lot that, I think, would be of interest to wood workers. For example, they often deal with tolerances in wood of down to hundredths of an inch! The bending of the case (all maple) was pretty darn amazing too. Also, we go on a spruce buying trip with their buyer and you have to wonder how Steinway will continue to find wood for their sound boards. All that and tools, finishes and more.

I actually inherited a Steinway and I can't tell you how many times I open it up and marvel at how they built this thing. It is by far the most amazing thing in my house. Check out the book and maybe visit a dealer to see one for yourself. If you are anywhere near NY, they have tours. I haven't done that yet, but it is on the list.

Thanks,

Dean

Jim Becker
10-28-2008, 8:11 AM
Does sound interesting, Dean! And yea, the sound, especially that robust low-end is just wonderful on these instruments. For now, I'll have to settle for samples, but maybe someday... ;)

David G Baker
10-28-2008, 9:00 AM
The Discovery Channel had a "HOW ITS MADE" show on the construction of a piano. Don't recall the brand but the show was awesome.

Dennis Peacock
10-28-2008, 9:53 AM
Thanks for the info Dean. Sounds very interesting. The Baldwin Piano Company is across the highway from where I work and I've toured the factory. I'll never forget that the 1st big room I walked through with the plant manager was the room with the "wide belt sander" in it. I could put 4 of my entire houses inside that room with room to spare (2,100 sq ft is my house) and the "sander" is so large that you could practically drive a city bus through with with a little room to spare on the sides.!!!!!

In the back of the Baldwin factory is the factory for making Tobias Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars. It's truly amazing at just how "low tech" both of these factories are and yet turn out some of the prettiest instruments I've ever seen.

If you get the chance to take the tour of the Steinway factory? DO IT..!!!!! You will never forget it. :)

Dean Karavite
10-28-2008, 9:54 PM
Hey Dennis,

I will. I don't know why I haven't before. My in laws live on Long Island and it's not far.

That what is so cool about all this. The techniques and tools are largely very old. The hand tool guys would love this stuff! Of course even Steinway uses some modern tools where they fit in (presses and large machines), but all in all it's the same as it has been for a hundred years.

Oh, the concert grand in the book, it is 9 feet long and sells for over $100,000. The first thing they do is make that 9 foot case. It is made from layers of laminating maple and do it in a single day! In fact, in a few hours and that is not a new technique!