PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell sander refurb

Rick Beko
10-27-2008, 11:50 PM
I purchased this Rockwell Delta 31-710 disc belt sander just over a month ago. The previous owner purchased it from the school board. The first two pics are prior to me picking it up. It was missing the belt table assembly, a knob was broken and it came with a Rockwell 1 1/2HP 220v motor. I stripped it down to a garage floor full of pieces. I picked up a table assembly, added casters, new switch, replaced the main spindle bearings, repaired the metal belt housing and applied paint.

Tim Thomas
10-28-2008, 8:33 AM
I love seeing old tools get "saved". Looks like you did an excellent job on rescuing this one. I hope it serves you well for many years to come. Do you have any idea when it was originally made?

Rick Beko
10-28-2008, 8:49 AM
Based on the serial number and the OWWM web site this machine was from 1975.

Bob Slater
10-28-2008, 8:53 AM
Nothing prettier than an old tool that was designed before computers pared all that extra material and goodness off.

Matt Meiser
10-28-2008, 9:21 AM
Looks good Rick!

Whatcha gonna restore next? :D

Jim Becker
10-28-2008, 9:40 AM
That's a really nice restoration, Rick. Great job!

Matt Day
10-28-2008, 9:55 AM
Very nice. I'm in the market for a belt/disc sander and woud love to score one of those! I'm jealous.

Rick Beko
10-28-2008, 2:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am really beginning to appreciate old iron. Unfortunately my shop is in the basement so weight is a limitation. If I could find an old 3HP Rockwell unisaw to refurb that would put a smile on my face.

Bruce Page
10-28-2008, 2:59 PM
Very nice Rick, I did a similar restoration to an older Delta. What is the advantage to having the belt head tilted back - just curious.

Rick Beko
10-28-2008, 3:32 PM
I was rebuilding the sander while building a couple of desk so I actually have not used the sander yet so... there is no particular reason why it is in that position.:)

Ryan Cassidy
10-28-2008, 4:13 PM
Wow! That looks really good. Safe to say they probably don't build them like they used to :-)

BTW completely off topic...... Sorry to hijack the thread, but on your DC in the background I see Red Tape around each joint. Is that just to seal the joints or are they sealed and it's a back up. Any particular reason for using that type of tape?

Thanks
Ryan Cassidy

peter leyden
10-28-2008, 4:38 PM
I have the same sander and I also replaced the main spindle bearings. I have a problem adjusting the bearing retainer so that the bearings run noise free. I get a knocking noise which can't be good! How did you adjust the bearing assembly? Do you get any kind of bearing noise when you run the sander?
Please let me know so that I can finish my restoration.
Thanks,
Pete Leyden
p_leyden@hotmail.com
631-226-8754

Jude Tuliszewski
10-28-2008, 5:21 PM
Nice resto job. Always nice to see a quality tool get put back to working condition.

Rick Beko
10-28-2008, 7:10 PM
BTW completely off topic...... Sorry to hijack the thread, but on your DC in the background I see Red Tape around each joint. Is that just to seal the joints or are they sealed and it's a back up. Any particular reason for using that type of tape?

Thanks
Ryan Cassidy

Ryan, the pics with the red tape on the DC piping are from the previous owner. I built a 5HP cyclone from the Bill Pentz design and to seal the joints I used aluminum tape.

I have the same sander and I also replaced the main spindle bearings. I have a problem adjusting the bearing retainer so that the bearings run noise free. I get a knocking noise which can't be good! How did you adjust the bearing assembly? Do you get any kind of bearing noise when you run the sander?
Please let me know so that I can finish my restoration.
Thanks,
Pete Leyden

Pete when you say bearing retainer do you mean the large spanner nut on the belt side of the spindle. Mine has two notches 180 degrees apart. Are you getting play if you move the spindle around? I just tightened the nut snug on both sides. There is no noise when you spin the shaft.

Chip Lindley
11-21-2008, 1:24 PM
Might check to see if the bearings fit loosely in their recesses. Bearings should be a press fit. Old iron wears from years of use. (you said a school shop sander...hmmm!) Take up any serious slop with brass shim stock and Tite-Loc the bearing in place. I had to do this with the spindle bearings of a well worn PM26 1" shaper. Now it purrrrrs!

Bob Wingard
11-22-2008, 9:45 PM
NICE resto .. .. .. where'd you find parts for it ??

I have one, a bit older than that, and it needs the top/side/back guards and a new platen.

Charlie Wasem
07-16-2015, 2:38 PM
i also am rebuilding a 31-710 sander. It is missing the table for the belt portion. The parts supply houses on-line indicate that particular part is obsolete. Any suggestions?

Rick Beko
07-16-2015, 4:31 PM
I found my parts either through ebay or contact Joe at Plaza Machinery, he has lots of Delta / Rockwell sander parts

http://www.plazamachinery.com/

There is also Renovo parts

http://www.renovoparts.com/