PDA

View Full Version : Informal Poll - Finish for Mesquite

michael gallagher
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Okay, all of you bowl turners really get under my skin - here I was, happy to be turning pens and random round things except for bowls, but someone has to do something with all of the wood I've collected over the past few years. Random thought: what do you do with all of the bowls?

So, here is my question: I am finally turning my first bowl since 1981 (that was not a typo) and I will admit it's kind of fun - what would you recommend on a good finish for mesquite wood? I'm going to DNA bath and paper bag it to make sure it's dry before applying the finish.

Your suggestions are appreciated, assuming I don't turn it into a funnel first!

David Walser
10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Most of my bowls are used (for popcorn, candy, and such). As such, I don't like a film finish that would wear off. I like the look and feel of walnut oil and that's what I've used on my mesquite bowls. It's very easy to renew the finish when and if the bowl seems to need it. As a rule, however, most of the bowls develop an attractive patina as they are handled and used over the years.

Cody Colston
10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
On any hard, dark wood like Mesquite, I use Danish Oil followed by Beall Buffing after it cures.

But, if sanded very fine...at least to 600 grit, Mesquite will buff up very nicely without any finish other than the Beall Tripoli, White diamond and Carnauba.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Michael all the mesquite I have ever turned I have turned from start to finish. I don't DNA mesquite. I sand to about 320 or 400. As soon as I take it off the lathe it gets a soaking coat of Antique Oil and after 10 minutes or so wipe off the excess. Make sure the whole bowl stays wet until you are ready to wipe off the excess. I let it dry for 24 hrs and do the same thing again. I put on about 3 coats. Never had any of the bowls move using this method and have turned 14 or 15. Keep measuring when you get close and you won't make a bowl.

David Hullum
10-28-2008, 12:05 AM
I use Tung oil then a good buff. I have turned many mesquite bowls. at least 200 pounds worth. I also use lacquer.

Mike Vickery
10-28-2008, 1:47 AM
Mesquite finsihes really well I have used Watco Danish oil, Minwax Antique oil, Tried and True Original, and Arm-r-seal all with great success.

It kind of depends what the bowl is going to be used for or how glossy you want it.

Jason Clark2
10-28-2008, 2:02 PM
I'll agree with what Mike and Cody said. I use whatever Danish oil I have on hand, either Watco Danish Oil or Minwax Antique or Olympic Antique Danish oil. 2-3 coats and then Bealle buffed.

Jason

Mike Ramsey
10-28-2008, 2:54 PM
You can use just about anything you want on mesquite, Danish oil,
laquer, tung oil, if I want it to age quickly I put teak oil on it to really
darken it. My salad bowls I sometimes use walnut oil. For me- DNA soaking
does nothing for mesquite, I usually start & finish it in one turning unless
It's really wet, mesquite doesent move much or crack if you remove the
pith.

Tip for SE Texas where the humidity is usually in the 90 percent range, if you use
an oil finish put a few drops of Japan drier in it prior to wiping it on the bowl, helps
with the drying stage.

lowell holmes
10-28-2008, 3:41 PM
I built the mesquite rocking chair at Homestead Heritage in Elm Mott Texas. They introduced me to Deft Danish Oil and I've used it ever since. Deft Danish Oil has more vrnish in it than other brands of Danish Oil.

michael gallagher
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the suggestions. Now, let's keep our fingers crossed it doesn't become a funnel!