PDA

View Full Version : J-Line 170

John Gbur
10-27-2008, 9:38 PM
I don't have pictures to post yet but just wanted to post my restoring fun. I'll post pics when I finish painting.

I bought a J-line 170 lathe from approximately 1969. I got it for a good price (Less than a good 4 jaw chuck). I am having fun restoring it. I replaced, belts, bearings, hardware, cleaned up the ways and had the motor checked/bearings replaced. My daugther even helped with cleaning the ways and painting. I used brush on rustoleum professional enamel. I am really impressed with how the product looks. We'll see how it holds up.

I am adding a VFD and am awaiting that to arrive so I can do my final wiring. Thanks to the group by the way for all the great postings on VFD's. They helped in my decision of what to buy.

The only real snag was a piece that had been rewelded once (Cast) that broke off. My final fix was to add a steel bracket so that I could fasten the reeves drive in place solidly.

I will probably have to strip some additional areas in the spring, but decided to paint while I had everything apart so I wouldn't decide not to once I started turning.

This is my third lathe. I started with a Jet mini then restored with some help a powermatic 45. This one I have done the work all myself. I definitely have had fun and learned alot.

Makes me think about restoring a delta lathe like my Grandfather had.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Welcome John. Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see it done.

Jim Becker
10-28-2008, 9:00 AM
Welcome to SMC, John!!

That lathe sounds like a great project...but we have RULES here, my friend. No pictures...it didn't happy. LOL ;)

Congrats on the lathe, however!

John Gbur
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
I am posting some pictures. The first is from the Ad Listing. The second is still on the trailer after getting it home. The third is the nearly finnished restore. Still need to paint around the controls.

My AC Drive is supposed to come this week. I hope to wire up and test next week!

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
John - Welcome to the Creek! Looks like you have done a great job restoring your lathe! Really nice paint job! Hope you get the drive up and running soon! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

John Sheets
10-29-2008, 9:05 PM
John,
I had one of these (it was still gray) and used it for many years. Sold it about a year and a half ago. Mine wasn't the quietest smooth-humming lathe I have ever used, but it did have some mass!

Kimball Dhillon
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Hello John, I just bought a similar machine. I am interested in the new VFD you purchased and what it takes to make the change. I am also having trouble finding chucks and facepaltes to fit the 1 1/8" x 8tpi spindle. Found someone to make an adaptor for $75. Did you have any bettter luck?
Thanks, Kimball Dhillon