PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

aurelio alarcon
05-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I am usually a dog person. But a while back I made a new friend. I had to put my cat to sleep on Friday. Her name was Jennifer. She came upon our doorstep about a year ago. She was starving, so I fed her, and she became my friend. Whenever I worked in our back yard she would follow me around wherever I would go. She would stand next to me as if she was taking care of me rather than I her. It's funny how a person can get used to an animal's pesonality. She was blind in one eye and couldn't hear very well. She was old. But she was a living being who had her own quirks that I became attatched to. She really became my friend. The vet said that she was too old to undergo tests--that the tests themselves could kill her. So I had to euthanise her. It was a difficult decision, but I knew before taking her that this was probably going happpen. When I finally made the decision and told the vet to do it, I felt awful. She had no say...It finally hit me this morning when I went to check in on her and she was gone. I miss her.

John Mayfield
05-24-2004, 1:26 PM
We all should be greatfull for love that comes into our lifes in any form. Several years ago, I faced the same descion about a friend (a gray tabby) for some fourteen years. It was the best thing for him, but that does not lessen the void left behind when their gone. If it were not for you, this sweet cat would not have lives as long as she did or with as much joy. In the bible it state as you do on to the least of these, you do on to me. You have done a good thing. John

Lee Schierer
05-24-2004, 2:17 PM
Not to lessen your loss, because it is never easy, but take a ride and stop by the local Humane Shelter. You will find lots of friends of the cat persuasion there. All are looking for a good caring home.

Chris Padilla
05-24-2004, 2:37 PM
Great idea, Lee. I think more people needing/wanting pets should look towards the Humane Society shelter FIRST before heading elsewhere. Head over there, Aurelio...it'll be worth it.

Ken Garlock
05-24-2004, 3:22 PM
I know exactly how you feel. There is something comforting about having a small animal around, be it a cat or a dog. They like you just for being you, and give their love without reservation.

As you have probably read, I had to put my Russian Blue to sleep back in February. Like you, it was hard. I totally agree with Lee, stop by an ASPCA shelter, a PetCo, or a Petsmart. They will have some kitties that need a place to live, and be your friend. I have a preference for indoor cats. I figure that I want to give them the best life without danger, and they will live about twice as long as an outdoor cat.

As I write this I have a fat 15 year old Abyssinian blocking my view of the screen. :)

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-24-2004, 6:51 PM
Sorry for your loss. A year or so ago we had to put down a stray that I'd rescued (cancer). She was scared to death and starving when I found her, and she crawled up my clothes and 'hugged my neck'. She was the first cat I've been around that would come when you called her (every time), and if I was in my recliner, so was she. It was a tough thing to do, but there really wasn't an option.

Be thankful for your time with her...she was.

KC

John Olson
05-24-2004, 8:17 PM
As a fellow animal lover I know how you feel. I have 4 plus cats, two dogs, 40 plus fish and an Iguana in this house. Because they are family members you have done all you could to make there life better. Because you are grieving I know you did. So from one animal lover to another thank you for what you did.

aurelio alarcon
05-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Thank you for all your sentiment. It is good to hear from others who share my respect for other living beings such as animals. You know, they depend on us.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-24-2004, 11:44 PM
I can empathize...I've had to put down two kitties since '99. It's never a good thing for us, but when you take into consideration how much better it is for them not to suffer, you know you did the right thing.

I asked to bring the second one home since the girl said it was a 'silent option'. Buried the little feller where he loved to play [on the hill in the backyard]. Even made him a plaque. We called him Little Man. He had developed a condition that made him unable to function normally. We were told he would never live a normal life. After he lost total control of his functions, we had to put him down...he's much happier now.

http://www.hannawoodworks.com/littleman1.jpg

aurelio alarcon
05-25-2004, 1:02 AM
I'm sorry Kelly. That is a nice memorial. And you are right, She will no longer suffer.