PDA

View Full Version : DC Duct Hangers - Options?

John McCall
10-27-2008, 9:22 PM
I am ordering my ductwork for the dust collection in my new shop. I will use 6" pipe for the main duct and will hang it from a drywall ceiling. I plan to use "gripple" wire loop hangers to suppor the duct, but need a good fastener to attach the wire to the drywall ceiling. Somewhere I have seen a drawing of small vertical half-round (like half a washer) with a hole that has a 90 degree angle for screwing into the drywall, but I do not know what to call it or where to find it. Any suggestions on this or any other ceiling fastener that would work?

John

John Eaton
10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I cut some from plywood that screws to a base (base attaches to ceiling) and used plastic strapping around the pipe - easy to reposition and keeps the pipe from moving when there's pressure.

-- John

Steve Rozmiarek
10-28-2008, 12:17 AM
John, "gripples" are expensive last I checked, and the issue of mounting to the ceiling needs resolved. Why not just use the cheap rolls of perforated metal strapping? Screw it to studs where the pipe is perpandicular to the framing, and to a board screwed to the framing when running parallel to the framing. Simple, effective, cheap, and really solid.

Denny Rice
10-28-2008, 2:36 AM
John,

When I replaced my dust collection system a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted it to look as neat, clean looking and at the same time as secure as it could be. I spent a lot of time on Bill P's website and found where he had found these really cool mounts that are used by professional electricans. The mounts are made by 3M, they have a hole in the center of the mount that will accept a drywall screw and on both ends of the mount you can fish a large wire tie through them in my case with 6" pipe I had to use 24" wire ties. These are very strong and the ties will support up to 150lbs. My system has been up for almost 2 yrs now and I am glad I did my research before I started. I hope the photos help.

Denny

Fred Floyd
10-28-2008, 2:40 AM
I built cradles out of plywood and attached the pipe with that metal tape with the holes in it every few inches. That was easy to do, allows for modification (which has happened three times in four years), and keeps the ducting in place without leaks.

Jim Becker
10-28-2008, 9:28 AM
I use 24" heavy wire ties for this. These fasten either to heavy staples or cross members on the ceiling or through holes in simple 2x2 stock when coming down the wall. Very effective, noise dampening and inexpensive.

glenn bradley
10-28-2008, 9:36 AM
I'm with Jim. Big-ole Ty-wraps. 50 count for $10: http://www.cabletiesplus.com/Products/36-Extra-Heavy-Duty-Cable-Ties-(175-lb)-(Natural)__CP-36-175-N.aspx

John Eaton
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I want to say the plastic strapping I bought at Lowes was around $3 for 100-200 feet (I don't remember the exact length but I had plenty to do the whole shop - it's in the plumbing section). The wood I used was all scrap and I was able to cut everything fairly quickly once I made a pattern (used the pipe layed on plywood to get the radius) - made the curve cut on the bandsaw. I guess if you don't have time to fab things up the zip-tie method above is pretty practical - I'm always looking for ways to keep the scrap out of the landfills myself so chose to go the route I did.

-- John