PDA

View Full Version : GAST Model 0522

Jerry Pittman
10-27-2008, 9:04 PM
Does anyone know if this pump from Surplus Center will be adequate for vacuum chucking: it is slightly smaller than the 0523 model that has been available from Surplus Cehnter for the last year or so. The 0522 pump max flow is 4.0 CFM at 0 PSI compared to the 0523. I realize there are a lot of variables regarding vacuum chucking; I am interested in opinions of whether or not this one will work if a sound, leak-free system is built.
Thanks,
Jerry

Dick Strauss
10-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Jerry,
Many folks use that pump for vacuum chucking and are very happy with it. I would have bought one from SC long ago except that I don't have 220V near the lathe. I think you'll be in good shape with that one.

IIRC Steve Schlumpf posted a vacuum chuck system building tutorial here if you do a search...

Good luck,
Dick

Steve Schlumpf
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Jerry - I am no expert on vacuum pumps but the only difference between the 522 and the 523 is the amount of air moved. The 523 moves 4.5 CFM, the 522 moves 4.0 CFM. I have to think that the 0.5 CFM difference would not cause any problems when used in a system. IMHO

Darryl Hansen
10-28-2008, 2:48 PM
Jerry conmtact Bill Noble. He has been selling used Gast stuff for years and will answer your questions. http://www.wbnoble.com/

Jeff Nicol
10-28-2008, 7:34 PM
Well here is what I did because I like to do things as inexpensive as possible. I took the compressor out of an old dehumidifier that had lost its freon and did not work anymore. I got a few valves and a vacuum gauge, then had my Dad turn an aluminum and brass adapter with a bearing in it. After some testing and making a chuck I was able to pull 22 inches of vacuum! I have less than $20 in the whole thing!

I guess you have to be a gadget guy and have someone with metal working tools at hand to help with pieces and parts. So it is not for everyone. I looked at the SC Gast pump and if it works not a bad price!

Good luck

Jeff

Jeff Fleisher
12-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I am also interested in the Gast 0522 pump from Surplus Center. I really don't know much about pumps so this may be a naive question....Since it is advertised as a compressor will it also work as a vacuum pump? Do you just use the intake port instead of the outlet port? Are there any pressure switches that need to be changed to use as a vacuum pump instead of a compressor?

It also doesn't say if this is wired with a plug or not. Does anyone know if it is wired with a 220v plug?
thanks,
Jeff

Tom Bucanan
12-07-2008, 11:19 AM
I am also very interested in getting a vacuum set up. Is this the vacuum pump that you would recommend or is there a different one?

Dale Miner
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Jeff,

I just put a system together with the Surplus Center pump.

It does work as a vacuum pump by using the intake.

The unit does not come with a plug, only a short length of wire coming from the connection box of the motor.

The unit does not come with any pressure/vacuum switches, and if used for vacuum chucking, will not need any.

Later,
Dale M