PDA

View Full Version : Newbi - What is your favorite online sites and forums

travis howe
10-27-2008, 7:55 PM
Hey there everyone, I've been lurking around now for a while and so impressed with everyones work and help.

I've noticed there are quiet a few woodworkers forums out there such as this and lumber jocks, etc.

I wanted to know what other site you all visit on a regular basis and which one you feel is the best and why?

SMC is great, just curious what else is out there that I can learn from

Jim Becker
10-27-2008, 8:21 PM
Welcome to SMC!

Travis, there are literally thousands of sites that are great resources for woodworkers on the net. Do note that our rules do not allow posting direct links to other forums, however, so expect to have to do a little reconstruction from what folks reference in their replies. And, of course, with SMC, you're at pretty much one of, if not the largest online woodworking community on the planet. :)

Jim
SMC Moderator

Greg Cole
10-27-2008, 8:30 PM
SMC is extremely comprehensive... and rather "diverse" with well people like me who stray off topic alot.:rolleyes: There's a good mix of "Joe" woodworkers, pro's making a living with their craft and some good vendors and people chipping in from the fringe. Just search for something here using the forum seach function... you'll most likely find it if you word it just right.
I visit a few other forums-sites but mostly just breeze through them daily or just to see projects mostly. SMC is lighter on finished projects than some sites, but there's more content here per say. Also much less bickering and asnine internet behavior to be found here as it's geared for all ages.
It takes a while to get the feel of the Creek, but once you dive in... the waters just fine.
Welcome.

Brent Smith
10-27-2008, 9:21 PM
Hi Travis,

Welcome to the Creek.

You'll find as you come across other forums that the majority of people belong to a number of them. IMO, the Creek is one of the best. The fact that people are (for the most part) using their real name gives the place a more homey feel than some. The Mods here don't put up with any of the antics that some other places do, which leads to more pure info as opposed to bickering on small points. Then of course there's the immense store of knowledge here. To find other places just read the posts, they'll all be mentioned in one way or another, but chances are you'll be coming back here to sleep.