PDA

View Full Version : grizzly 1023slx

Tony Gorgone
10-27-2008, 7:21 PM
in case anyone hasn't noticed, the 1023slx is on sale at grizzly.com for 1150!

couple of questions about this model.

has anyone ever mounted a router to the extension table?

are there any problems with keeping the extension table flat to the saw table with a mobile base and mobile base extension installed?

any idea how to get grizzly to post this saw (with the sale price of course) on ebay so people can use the microsoft cashback? i called their number and the woman i spoke with didn't know how to get in touch with the "ebay people".

has anyone ever converted their 1023sl to the 1023slx model by adding the extension table and longer rails a few years after buying the 1023sl?

i'm trying to decide between the 1023sl, the 1023slw and the 1023slx.

thanks
tony

Sean Rainaldi
10-27-2008, 7:51 PM
ebay - Grizzly Sales Team: 800-523-4777. Open until 8 pm EST.

Ryan Cassidy
10-27-2008, 7:51 PM
Email.... ebayteam@grizzly.com

They will get it posted normally by the end of the day. I've bought several things this way and save a load of cash. The cashback amount is at 25% right now. Down from the 30-35% a week ago... But still darn good :-)

Ryan

Andy Casiello
10-27-2008, 7:54 PM
Use the email address "ebayteam@grizzly.com" to reach the "ebay people there. They do seem to have the ebay group in some secluded place technologically "distant" from the customer service group.

I have a Griz 1023SL. I love it. That machine is solid, quiet, and plows through hardwood like it's snacking on candy. I put a Forrest Woodworker II bade on it - great combination.

I don't care for the router configuration on the TS. I suppose if I was hurting for space I would like the idea, but (so far) I'm not. I have a separate router table setup near the TS.

I'm sure that no matter what configuration 1023 you get, you'll be very happy. I've never heard of anyone who hasn't been..

Edit: Jeez - I must be slower at typing than I thought.. I guess you now have all the contact info you need!

Andy Casiello
10-27-2008, 7:56 PM
Email.... ebayteam@grizzly.com

They will get it posted normally by the end of the day. I've bought several things this way and save a load of cash. The cashback amount is at 25% right now. Down from the 30-35% a week ago... But still darn good :-)

Ryan

The percentage is down, but the dollar cap is still $ 200 - so whether he gets 25% or 30%, he'll still get the same $ 200 cashback. Just wanted the OP to know he's getting the maximum deal anyone's getting on cashback these days.

John Keeton
10-27-2008, 8:21 PM
has anyone ever mounted a router to the extension table?

Yes. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=90392

Sean Rainaldi
10-27-2008, 8:33 PM
Use the email address "ebayteam@grizzly.com" to reach the "ebay people there. They do seem to have the ebay group in some secluded place technologically "distant" from the customer service group.

Pacific Coast.

Gary McKown
10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
has anyone ever converted their 1023sl to the 1023slx model by adding the extension table and longer rails a few years after buying the 1023sl?

The fellow creeker from whom I bought my Griz had converted to the SLW, and it also came with the short rails so I converted back. Long rails, legs, and base extension are stored until I have more room. Conversion is a simple matter of unbolting, aligning, and bolting.

are there any problems with keeping the extension table flat to the saw table with a mobile base and mobile base extension installed?

(Assuming you will have the Shopfox or similar base) the extension legs rest on a platform with casters, and the legs are height-adjustable. Should be no problem to realign under normal circumstances.

I actually have a short (12" wide) table board on the short rails, to which is attached my old Craftsman contractor saw (no left wing) on its own mobile base. The spacer allows the Craftsman miter slots to clear the Griz rails. Makes a nice wide "table board" normally, and can be separated easily when needed. One could do something similar with the long rails, except the rails would need to be chopped out where the miter slots are located and some way found to keep the Griz base extension from interfering with removal of the Craftsman.

One feature I found with the two-saw arrangement is, by careful alignment, I can use the back side of the Shopfox fence on the left side of the Craftsman - allowing about 50" of rip width on the rare occasion it is needed.

Tony Gorgone
10-29-2008, 3:35 PM
does anyone know if this saw ships with both the long and short rails, or just the long rails?

also, can you buy just the short rails?

thanks
tony

scott spencer
10-29-2008, 4:12 PM
does anyone know if this saw ships with both the long and short rails, or just the long rails?

also, can you buy just the short rails?

thanks
tony

The SLX ships only with long rails, the SL ships with short rails. Otherwise they're the same saw AFAIK.

Sean Rainaldi
10-29-2008, 5:01 PM
Which ever grizzly you decide to buy, know that the rails and fence are packed seperately in just a long cardboard box, unlike the saw which is on a pallete. Ask either sales or customer service if they can attach the rails carton to a pallate, or strap it to the saw carton, because the long, narrow carton that the rails ship in are prone to damage - my rails carton arrived all banged up I think because it was not on a pallete and got thrown around a lot and if they drop it on end,there is not much styrofoam there to protect them except cheap styrofoam - and the rails and fence are very heavy compared to what they pack them with which I don't think is strong enough packaging for long steel rails.