PDA

View Full Version : Can/How do you rub out a painted finish

John Weber
05-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Paint has been killing me lately. I'm still trying to finish a few pieces. I've been brushing with mixed results. So today I decided to spray. Well I don't spray often, so now the piece has a nice "sprayed" finish as compared to the other pieces "brushed" finish. The brushed finish looks glossier and smoother. The painted piece looks good, just doesn't match the other. Can I rub out the painted surface to a higher gloss, or should I try to brush on another coat. The paint is semi gloss oil based enamel. How do I go about rubbing out a painted surface if that is possible?

Thanks - John

Todd Burch
05-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Phil Phelps is the resident expert on this, but here goes...

When spraying oil based paint, it does not come out as glossy as it does when brushed.

Oil based paint can be sanded just fine (not like latex). Wait 24 hours for a good cure, then either sand all the brushed pieces and spray, or, scuff the sprayed piece and brush.

I've had good results sanding with 220 grit stearated paper (3M's "Fre-Cut" paper). The paint easily dusts off and doesn't korn (corn?) too bad.

You could try spraying a clear acrylic over both to even them out, and REALLY improving the gloss and depth. I would most likely sand the brushed piece first to get rid of the brush marks prior to clear coating.

John Weber
05-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Todd,

Thanks, I'll give it a go in the morning. You really have a wealth of knowledge, you should teach a class someday.

John