PDA

View Full Version : DJ - 20 What to pay?

Dwain Lambrigger
10-27-2008, 7:05 PM
I am going to look at a DJ-20. The owner states he has owned it for the last five years, is the original owner, and that it has been in storage for the last year (divorce). It looks to be in good shape from the pictures, but I won't go by them until I get a look. Anyway, what is the going rate for this type of jointer. I am hoping this will be the last jointer I have to buy, but wanted to get opinions. It comes with a good mobile base, an extra set of knives, and all the paperwork.

Thanks,

Dwain

Frederick Rowe
10-27-2008, 7:32 PM
With a mobile base, extra blades, and super clean - I'd set my high offer at $1,200.00. I have a DJ-20, and it could be the last jointer you buy. I see several DJ-20's on ebay now for $700-800. Make your offer as you see fit.

However - before you decide to buy; beg, borrow, or buy a 36" machinist's straight edge and a set of feeler gauges. Check the infeed, outfeed, and fence for flat. Don't worry about the tables being coplaner, parallel, or otherwise tuned. The DJ-20 and it's clones are easy to set. Anything greater than .005" on the tables and I'd low ball the jointer, perhaps even take a pass. The fence is less critical and is more easily removed and machined, maybe double the table tolerances.

Hope it is flat and you get a fair deal.

Ron Knapp
10-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Checking with a straight edge as mentioned is a very good idea. I would probably check the motor and see if it is a US made or China. My friend bought a new DJ-20 with a China motor that proved to be an adventure and a couple of weeks to get working. I have an older DJ-20 with a US motor that has not coused me any problems.

Larry Fox
10-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Definitely give it the once over with straightedge and such. I have one that I bought used a while back from a fellow creeker and the thing has been rock solid. I don't recall the exact price but I think it was $650 - definitely less than 7. I don't think that you can go wrong with a DJ-20 - I love mine.

glenn bradley
10-27-2008, 11:19 PM
You may want to read some of the posts here at the Creek on the DJ-20 and the Green 3HP Grizzly version: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28745

The DJ-20 is a rock solid design.

You will notice some differences on the G0490 like double the HP, half the warranty, a magnetic switch and an integrated mobile base.

At $775 with a 1 yr warranty it looks pretty good next to a new DJ-20 at $1000 more and half the HP. All that being said a well taken care of DJ-20 would be a very nice machine if the price were right. As I said, the design is great and will last you years and years and years.