PDA

View Full Version : International Time

Joe Pelonio
10-27-2008, 5:42 PM
For those of you with Firefox, I discovered an interesting tool. With my daughter moving to Italy I wanted a way to know the time there and did some research. I ended up with a Firefox Add-on called foxclocks, which allows me to have 4 times displayed on the status bar. Not only did I put Italy there, but a few others that will make it easier to know what time it
is in other places where fellow members are posting.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=foxclocks&cat=all

Rod Sheridan
10-28-2008, 8:30 AM
I think it would be easier if we used UTC...........Rod.

Jim Becker
10-28-2008, 8:55 AM
That is a nice plug-in, Joe. I'll have to set that one up to help the girls understand the time differences when I travel.

Another plug-in I'm using now is something called No-Script and it was recommended in a recent Windows Secrets newsletter. While I'm still tuning it, it insures that you can control what scripts are allowed to run on the sites you visit. There are some new malicious exploits "out there" that are using various kinds of scripting to get around the basic protections that most of us run. It also has the side benefit of cutting out some of the annoying and browser slowing ads that appear on many news sites that use scripting. Since it keys in on "source" rather than "script type", it insures that Flash and other things you need to operate many sites you visit can work for that site, without universally allowing these scripts from "anywhere".

Pat Germain
10-28-2008, 5:45 PM
To make things interesting, display the time in Venezuela. Hugo Chavez had the whole country shift its time zone by 30 minutes. I know of no other place that does this.

Grant Wilkinson
10-28-2008, 8:12 PM
Pat: Not that we want to be equated in any way with your example, but Newfoundland in Canada is 30 minutes off the mainland time, not one hour.

Pat Germain
10-28-2008, 9:25 PM
Pat: Not that we want to be equated in any way with your example, but Newfoundland in Canada is 30 minutes off the mainland time, not one hour.

Well, there you go. This I did not know. Thanks, Grant. :)

Rod Sheridan
10-29-2008, 8:39 AM

Ah yes, "Half an hour later in Newfoundland"

How many thousands of times have we heard that when listening to/watching CBC?

Regards, Rod.

Jim Podsedly
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
India is off by 1/2 hour as well. We have folks in Bangalore and it is either 12 1/2 or 13 1.2 hour difference from Pacific time depending if it is daylight or standard time.

Joe Pelonio
10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Ah yes, "Half an hour later in Newfoundland"

How many thousands of times have we heard that when listening to/watching CBC?

Regards, Rod.
That and Tom Horton's ads.:rolleyes: We watch CBC a lot here. Great comedy, and we sometimes even watch the news out of B.C. to see what's going on just to the north of us.

Christopher Fletcher
11-02-2008, 3:24 PM
Another plug-in I'm using now is something called No-Script and it was recommended in a recent Windows Secrets newsletter..

Jim,
No-script is great. Another tool that I also use is user-agent switcher. No-script disallows flash and other "counters" & "trackers". Some websites use these scripts to generate income for their site. Some savvy webmasters will drop access for browsers running certain script disabling programs. User-agent switcher tricks these sites into thinking you are running an alternate more script friendly browser. Just make sure to allow your favorite sites *cough SMC cough* so that they can get the revenue they are working for.....

Jim Becker
11-02-2008, 5:13 PM
Chris, the only site I've had to be careful with relative to "tracking" is for ebates.com that I use to save additional money on many online purchases I make. But the User-agent switcher is interesting. I'll have to check it out.